Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

With Superzoo coming up tomorrow (I will have a full report for everyone!). I have been authorized to release information about the skimmer i have been testing for the past month.

FissionNanoskimmer.jpg

Its made by Current USA and is designed to fit in their aquapod line. ALthough i havent gotten the final versions yet, its pretty safe to say that it will fit the JBJ 24g and 12g (needs to be verified).

Its not the worlds "greatest" skimmer, I think it could use a bit more upwelling time, but given the constraints of size and cost (its fairly inexpensive at 27.95 (presale).

Presale here: http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotune...products_id=150

I should be able to answer more questions once i see them (in final release form) tomorrow.

The one i have been running has been steadily pulling some good gunk out of the test tank.

Hope this helps

Chris

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, if you see any typographical/grammatical errors. Let me know. Although I did not author the spec sheet, its helpful although embarrasing, criticism.

Chris

When do you think these would actually go on sale, or actually be shipped?

I have been waiting for this to come out for so long, as has everybody.

My only concern with pre ordering one is that it have not been varified that it with fit in the NC12. Based on the dimensions I don't see why it wouldn't though.

Would it be possible for me to pre order and then if it doesn't fit the NC12 for some reason to then cancel the order?

Nice work Chris - Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Ahh, what a waste of $$ it was getting that Lee's Skimmer two weeks ago, and what a waste of time cutting the cup to make it fit :(

So what's "good gunk"?

What size tank did you run it on - what kind of biological load - how much skimmate /day? /week?

I feel that in my moderately loaded 24-gallon I should be able to get like 1/2 to a full cup (looks like a pretty small cup) every day.

Is that a needlewheel design? it looks like the air tube is going in the inlet of the pump in the picture, and not the venturi port on the outlet.

Does this thing fit in the rear chambers and do you have to mod the hood for the skimmate cup ?? also would it be easy to replace the pump with a better one or is the pump nice and quiet with no real issues??

Is it interested in dating or does it just want to remain friends right now? Does it have a favorite pastime or color? What is its sign?

Seriously, though, it's funny to me the barrage of questions that come out when a new product hits the market. (some of these questions are answered in Chris' post if you read it, folks!)

I remember talking to Ike when they were beta testing this thing. I'm glad they finally have it out now. It fills a very needed niche!

Hey guys...

I'm about to hit the road for the Superzoo show in Vegas.

HighestOlive-

I have a pre production prototype, and didnt receive the "elbows". I also know that the production units pump is a more powerful one than the one I recieved. I cant verify fitment yet, but hope to grab one of these at the show. If for some reason it does not fit the 12 or 6 and you have prepaid, I have no problem refunding.

Kgbenson - I am not to sure. I am going to bring the "back wall" of a 12 and 6 to the show to verify fitment.

dcabboa - I wish i had an answer better than "i dont know". If it were me, i think i would aim to get it in the second chamber.

MadTownMax - The design is something i havent seen before. Basically, the water stream is fired tangentially to the skimmer. Little notches on the inside kick the turbulence up and causes instability in the cyclone created. The water is aerated via venturi, and then the bubbles go up the collection cup. The return is located just below the cup, with a sponge to prevent/trap microbubbles. Im not sure of the final design, they mentioned the possibility of a micron mesh or something instead of the sponge.

MoFo- You shouldnt have to mod the hood to get it to fit under the hood. Fittment in the rear chambers is still an unanswered question. Hopefully I'll have some clarity.

Typos - LOL... I love this forum... Ill let Ike know..

Wish me luck

Chris

Just to add to the barrage....

Can we get the actual dimensions of the skimmer? I know it is a 2" riser; but what is the total footprint with elbows and intake?

Thanks,

Dan

How about on a 12OG with the four chambers in the back? I know that the 12DX has only three chambers in the rear but I still have an older model 12OG (I know, I know I've been wanting to upgrade to a 24g JBJ but I've also been looking at the Oceanic 30 and the M-Tank) but until then I would like to know if one could fit into the rear of a 12g OG JBJ Nano?

Thanx in advance Chris...

You mentioned you've been testing it. Is there any chance we can get a picture of the skimage this thing turns out?

Is there anyway to calibrate the amount of air going in the venturi or this is one setting for all?

Can we get specs on the pump? Would the addition of this skimmer result in the warming of water?

I actually had a chance to test out the same skimmer at the Aquarama show in Sinapore this year..... different brand...... Its produced in China. IMO its not very practical. Just too small. There's no reaction time and very difficult to adjust. You can scale down a skimmer but unless you scale down the bubble size you will not get the same efficiency..........

If the whole unit will not fit into one of the chambers of a Nano-Cube, it looks as though the pump could be placed in chamber 1 with the feeder tube passing under the first dividing wall to the skimmer in chamber 2. No modification necessary. My only concern is how far it can be submerged.

H2C - I would have to agree that its not the most efficient design, upwelling time could be better, it could utilize a second stage or downwelling time, its "engine" is pretty interesting. It is able to produce a pretty dense stream of bubbles considering it's height. Because of the little nibs that come out of the center (vortex generators), the stream of bubbles hit them and increased turbulent zones are created. I think this engine could be used to power bigger, more complicated skimmers in the future. Its quite inventive.

Given the constraints of some of these tanks, and that other commercially produced skimmers do not exist, it poses a viable option for nanocube & smaller tank owners.

I am going to try to get a production version from them so I can verify fittment in the 6/12. Its pretty safe to say it will fit in the 24.

Chris

Archived