Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

I bought one of these skimmers a few weeks ago - spent $25 for it at a LFS in Detroit MI. I am VERY disappointed with this skimmer. It makes a lot of bubles, and makes a really nice cyclone swirl in the reaction chamber, but I don't think the dwell time in the reaction chamber is long enough to pull any significant organics out of the water. And, the collection cup is so small it requires being emptied several times per day. What I'm emptying out looks slight darker than tank water.

I built my own skimmer back over the summer. My design worked GREAT compared to this, I was pulling Green Tea looking, foul smelling skimmate out of my skimmer every morning. But my design had cleaning issues - I fixed the collection cup in place and it was getting GROSS. I might take this little skimmer and build upon it. I'm thinking about lengthing the reaction chamber (obviously), rework the outflow from the reaction chamber, and making a MUCH bigger collection cup.

On the other hand, I was offered a 55 Gallon long tank today for free. Starting a larger tank with a Fuge and a real Skimmer might be in my near future . . .

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From looking at the design schematic ,I have to agree with Mikeguerrero as I can't see a venturi skimmer made like this and this small working very efficiently. Sorta like a Skilter really which also worked but produced very little skimmate and had an inherent problem with microbubbles. Based on the basic concept of a skimmer , I also would say an airdriven skimmer of this size would outperform the Fission for the simple reason of being able to adjust the air/ water flow that determines contact time and it can take up to 2 minutes or longer for some macromolecules like proteins adhere to the bubbles..... just because a skimmer can produce skimmate doesn't mean it's working efficiently.What matters is the concentration of dissolved organics in the skimmate...

• 1 month later...

where can i order this skimmer? i'm from Belgium so....

can i order it in the UK or the US...?I mean, can it be shipped to me?

greets

NanoCube-boy
where can i order this skimmer? i'm from Belgium so....

can i order it in the UK or the US...?I mean, can it be shipped to me?

greets

What skimmer are you talking about?

I have a fisson in my nanocube. I don't have a microbubble problem with mine, the skimmate I get out of it looks like iced tea. I don't understand why other people have so much trouble with it.

NanoCube-boy

I ask myself the same thing....

Did you lowered your fission air regulator? I tried that and it's still a lot of bubble? What is your specific gravity sit at?

• 10 months later...
wildernesstank

wow thats to bad it works . im probelly still going to get one and if it doesnt work ill just use it as a powerhead plus i need one so im looking at it like a win win sutuation

• 2 weeks later...

Beware with the ait intake hose , if the Fission is not place correctly it could start drip siphoning out of your tank, it happended to my 12 gallon AP. Thank goodness i saw it 3 hours later!

i threw mine away, it doesnt fit in their own tanks(current),but it should fit in JBJ nanos, weird huh? Mine stuck out like a soar thumb near the front!!

No skimate was produced, ( im stocked pretty heavy), their pad inserts are the filters. What a joke.

so here is what you can do:

Just remove the nitrate poroducing stock sponge(out of the AP back chamber) discard, insert filter floss, and throw away dirty floss periodically, it works better than the Fission Skimmer, more surface area of floss = more waste collected.

ahh freedom from crappy products! :D

NanoCube-boy

ldballoon4, I have the same problem. One time water would just drip out of my cube and went all over my stand. NOT a good thing at all. My floor gotten a little wet and stuff. I just dumbed it too. Not worth of buying it.

hahaha, the fission is a piece of you know what. I wouldn't even bother modifying it. Guys up here say even if they modify them, it's too much micro-bubble.

• 2 years later...

i just got this skimmer and it works great for me. mine pulled almost 2 gallons of iced tea color, and i have no micro buble problems now i fixed that in like ten minutes.

Archived