Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

Oh and my elbows are cracked as well.

Defective product! Sue them! Call the FTC, the BBB, Ralph Nader! The plastic is too thin! What is the REAL crack rate!? It looks like 100% Demand a recall! :scarry::scarry:

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone

Its been a long week, so I havent been able to be as active on the forums as I would like.

It looks like some people are having problems with the elbows either arriving cracked or cracking when the pump is inserted.

Fret not tho, as I have just spoken to current USA and they will be replacing the elbows.

IF YOU HAVE A CRACKED ELBOW or MISSING PARTS:

Please email ike at:

ike@current-usa.com

Please include your Name. Address, and email information so he can send new parts to you.

I thank everyone in advanced for their patience with this products release and hope everyone can get thier issues resolved.

As for skimmate, I would try to adjust the height of the skimmer so that the bubbles just barely crest the top of the collar, the longer the reaction time in the collar of the collection area, the better, darker skimmate you will get.

As with all skimmers, there is some "tuning" involved to ensure that the skimmate is dry.

I'll be checking back in on this thread.

Chris

I am still curious about how this item looks in the middle compartment of a 24 gallon nano cube. I have a DIY skimmer and it is very tempermental on the water level. If anyone has this item in a 24 can you post some pics and tell me how the skimmer deals with the water level dropping during the day. I have not gotten an autotop off for my tank and may not get one. I like that fact that is is enclosed and no water can get out of my tank, barring it pulling a JBJ. My fingers are crossed on that one. This looks like a great product but I would like some more info on how well it works before I buy one.

Thanks

I received my skimmer a couple days ago and this thing is much smaller then i expected. I placed the skimmer in the main area of my 12g Larnie Edition so I can view it's performance for a few days before I placed it in the back chambers.

Initial results was that it did build up some foam and gunk on top within the last 24 hours, but it also creates some micro bubbles. My guess is the internal pad is new and needs to be seasoned in next couple of days before the bubbles dissipates.

Overall, I love it and it works great.

I did video tape the inital installation and startup of the skimmer in the main area of my tank for anyone interested in seeing it.

I had a problem converting the file from .mov to .avi so you will need Quicktime on your system to view it. Once I convert the file to avi. the link will update automatically.

Thanks Chris for another great product. BTW, I received my second skimmer today. Thanks for shipping it out so quickly.

Preview Skimmer Video

Reggie

dead link

you got your second skimmer, i have not got mine yet (UK Shipping)

I live about 30 miles from Nanocustoms and fedex delivers next day when shipped via ground.

I ordered 2 when this thread originally started but I only received one a couple days ago because Chris had his hands full shipping out 180 of them, whew!. He was great about sending me another one right away.

Dead Link? I've asked several peoplet to test the link and it works.

Is anyone else having a dead link problem?

At most, the load will be slow.

Reggie.

thank for a quick reply, just got out of bed 6:41am ere, on the topic of nano cube i wish there was more outlets wholesale in the uk.

now downloading itunes+quicktime

Is the thing loud?

Not at all. you hear it start up in the video, but right now i have my lights and fans off and all that is on is my powerheads, UV and skimmer and i don't hear them at all from about 10 feet away. up close you hear a slight hum from all the pumps.

Reggie.

Yep, no movie for me either

I live about 30 miles from Nanocustoms and fedex delivers next day when shipped via ground.

I ordered 2 when this thread originally started but I only received one a couple days ago because Chris had his hands full shipping out 180 of them, whew!. He was great about sending me another one right away.

Dead Link? I've asked several peoplet to test the link and it works.

Is anyone else having a dead link problem?

At most, the load will be slow because it is a 28meg .mov file.

Reggie.

We received our Fission Nanoskimmer promptly after Chris received them. We just had a chance to install it last night. We did not have any cracked elbows or any other defects, and for those of you that did, don't worry about it. Chris and Current-USA will take care of you. We had no trouble fitting the protein skimmer into the 12 Gallon DX Nanocube. It just takes some configuring to get it to fit. We tested it thoroughly with the Nanoskim surface skimmer and the two seem to be a match made in heaven. We were not able to run the skimmer in the first compartment without Nanoskim because the water level was too high in the back compartments without it. I have included some pictures of the Fission protein skimmer running in my Nanocube and we will post a video on the SRS website later tonight or tomorrow showing the configuration and installation process for the 12DX. I also included a pic of one of my Nano's just for fun.

Happy Reefkeeping!

Nanoskimguy

Oh yeah, and no this thing is not loud, it's very quiet.

post-15766-1133680615_thumb.jpg

post-15766-1133680518_thumb.jpg

post-15766-1133680532_thumb.jpg

post-15766-1133680548_thumb.jpg

I took a look a Cyberguru's video. Pretty awesome. For those of you that cannot see it, you probably have to install or update your quicktime. I saw the video within seconds of clicking on the link.

Good job cyberguru, nice video.

I took a look a Cyberguru's video. Pretty awesome. For those of you that cannot see it, you probably have to install or update your quicktime. I saw the video within seconds of clicking on the link.

Good job cyberguru, nice video.

Apparently not many people have quicktime installed.

I have converted the .mov file to .avi and you will no longer need quicktime.

This should solve many of your connection problems.

Reggie.

P.S. Thanks soccerdude.

Ccjung,

i was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

1. will the fission skimmer fit into a back chamber of the 12g aquapod?

2. what is the stock pump rate on the 12g aquapod?

3. could you upgrade the lighting on a stock 12g aquapod?

4. do the aquapods contain a tight fitting lid? ( i am intrested in getting one of the smaller flasher wrasses for my nano)

Thanks

Underwater World

Does anyone have the Fission hooked up without the elbows? Would like to know which way performes better, fits in my 24g cube both ways in 2nd chamber.

Well After some playing around this morning I finally got mine it. I had to remove one of the elbows (the cracked one) and do a slightly different config. that the pictures on page 6 or so of this thread, but it is in there and working.

Archived