Coral Vue Hydros

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris ............. just thinking, what is the gph of the pump you are using? I think if it is rated lower than the production and performing that well....... this would offer some flexabilty in trying to fit it the Nc6. What do you think?

Btw........ what is the bioload of the tank you are using?

Originally posted by DragonFish

Looks pretty small, any chance it would fit in the chamber of an AC 300?

Good question... been wondering the same thing.

the frag master
Better call in the CSI crew.

;););) does it fit in the 12g nano cube's chambers? if so i will be placing my order as soon as i get some dinero

i know a lot of people here have the ac500 fuge mod, it would be nice to see if the skimmer can actually fit in the fuge chamber of a ac500 as well.

Looks pretty small, any chance it would fit in the chamber of an AC 300?

Good question... been wondering the same thing.

i have asked similar question. it would be nice to know the dimension and footprint of the skimmer and if it will fit either the ac300 or ac500 fuge chamber. also, in the pictures it looks like the skimmate is wet, can this skimmer produce dry skimmate as well?

thanks!

Wet Skimate is better, it takes out the nasties before they get nasty enough to be dry skimmed, in my experience.

Wet skimate does not have anything to do with how "nasty" it is to be skimmed. The kimmate is protiens that are being taken out of the water. If it is wet, it only means that the skimmer is puling out a larger water to protein ratio. The dryer it is, the more protien to water it is pulling out. So a cup full of dry skimmate is much better than puling out a cupful of wet skimmate.

When you wet skim, it pulls out the protiens before they can break down and get worse. When you dry skim, it gives the protines more time to break down and put Nitrates in the tank which will break down even more to make Amonia.

Basicaly, you will get more whater, but it pulls the protiens out before they can do somthing...

*EDIT*

I have tried both ways with my Remora, and I get WAY less to NO bad algae groth in the display when I wet skim.

nanocustoms.com

Depending on what you want, this will do both for you. I tell you only what you WANT to hear. Lol.

Just kidding.

The early stages of the skimmers operation is usually wet, but once it gets "broken" in it gets pretty dry. The skimmate is dictated by the skimmers level in the water.

I have the skimmer installed in the PICO - C i have in my office and in just under 8 hours or so, the skimmate has gone from a wet skimmate to a dry, frothy foam.

When i had it in my 12, the skimmate was pretty yucky and dry.

Chris

We could argue as to which skimmate dry or wet is better personally I have been using a wet skimmate i find my skimmer seems to run a bit better because the throat dosent get as junked up but technically yes when you pull out a wet skimmmate you get more water but you do pull out a ton of free detritus while still in a solid???? Just my 2cents

nanocustoms.com

I think everyone has some valid points.

Dry Skimming is great because it allows for longer reaction times in the throat of the skimmer, during this time, the gunk is dominated by the electrochemical effects of the bubbles, and more gunk can be collected per bubble.

Wet Skimming is great because it gets everything in the first pass, however, the weakness is the fact that the collection area will fill much quicker.

My 0.02

Chris

FishMaster1000

Any guesses on whether or not it will fit in the 6 Gallon Cube? I did not see anything about the 6 mentioned in the thread, sorry if i overlooked it :D

the frag master
Any guesses on whether or not it will fit in the 6 Gallon Cube? I did not see anything about the 6 mentioned in the thread, sorry if i overlooked it :D

well will it fit a nano cube 12's chambers? if so i want one when i can get the cash

Wet Skimate is better, it takes out the nasties before they get nasty enough to be dry skimmed, in my experience.

yes i am not here to debate which one is better. i have heard stories and arguments from both sides countless times. i simply want to know the dimension and footprint of the skimmer and whether i have the option to dry or wet skim if i decided to purchase this skimmer. hopefully, soon enough i will have some answers to my questions. thanks!

So is there any word on the ship date. I pre ordered this on the first day, and now that you confirm that is fits the 12 i can't wait to get it.

I know it was orginally early Oct. i am guessing it is getting pushed back a little.

Archived