inTank Media Baskets

40 uniquarium

one8thscale

Nice looking tank. I'm getting the 18x18x18 uni in a few weeks. I'm looking into getting a skimmer but I'm unsure if the water levels are high enough to get a HOB to work properly. I couldn't tell from the top tank shot. How high is the water level in the back chambers? Do the water levels stay consistent?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added him last. So the hawk does not bother anyone except for the time I had to babysit my wife's redhawk fish. My hawk tore up the red hawkfish. Had to take the red one out. So i guess don't put 2 of them in a small tank. Otherwise it's a great fish to watch, just likes to hang out.

How do you like the hawk fish, I was going to get one but heard hey are a harasser
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
slmartin35758

Are you still using the AAT protein skimmer? I just got one and seems to form too many bubbles outside of the skimmer. I'm affraid that the popping bubbles are causing a mist that will get on the sheetrock wall behind the tank. Do you have this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Are you still using the AAT protein skimmer? I just got one and seems to form too many bubbles outside of the skimmer. I'm affraid that the popping bubbles are causing a mist that will get on the sheetrock wall behind the tank. Do you have this problem?

I also have a 40G uniquarium. I set it up about a year ago and have been using the skimmer. I have noticed the bubbles are a little more unruly and some get outside the back compartment into the tank. However, for the most part they are caught in the various sponges that are between the skimmer and the pump.

I have to say, I was skeptical about the skimmer to begin with. The skimmer performance isn't the greatest. The skimmate is pretty wet, regardless of how I adjust it, and I think the ouput should be better. I just ended up doubling up on Chemi Pure and pura pad and changing the water with RO water 1x week. I have 4 small fish and an assortment of LPS and SPS corals and they seem fine. The SPS seem to care more about being closer to the light than the water... I run a teklight T5 4 bulb fixture now, although I originally ran 2x150 hqi MH. The MHs got really hot, and the corals like the T5 just fine. Cut my electric bill in half. The only thing you don't get is the shimmer... but whatever.

I also have a 40G uniquarium. I set it up about a year ago and have been using the skimmer. I have noticed the bubbles are a little more unruly and some get outside the back compartment into the tank. However, for the most part they are caught in the various sponges that are between the skimmer and the pump.

I have to say, I was skeptical about the skimmer to begin with. The skimmer performance isn't the greatest. The skimmate is pretty wet, regardless of how I adjust it, and I think the ouput should be better. I just ended up doubling up on Chemi Pure and pura pad and changing the water with RO water 1x week. I have 4 small fish and an assortment of LPS and SPS corals and they seem fine. The SPS seem to care more about being closer to the light than the water... I run a teklight T5 4 bulb fixture now, although I originally ran 2x150 hqi MH. The MHs got really hot, and the corals like the T5 just fine. Cut my electric bill in half. The only thing you don't get is the shimmer... but whatever.

On second thought about the skimmer, I think it could be made to collect more "gunk" if the collection cup was designed better. It uses a flat bottom collection cup as opposed to an "inverted funnel". I think more skimmate would make its way up the cup if it had the later design. Right now if you take the cup off, there is a lot of foam, but it seems to concentrate a lot of sludge on the bottom of the flat bottom collection cup instead of pushing it up the tube and overflowing it into the cup... hmm...

• 1 month later...

AMSR,

Thanks for the input on the skimmer.

one8thscale,

How is the Coralife Slimline fixture working. Is it not too hot to sit directly on the aquarium?

I was thinking of trying to make a deep sand bed refugium in the back, but since the chambers where the bio-balls were is open to the pump chamber along the bottom it looks like it wouldn't be good to put the sand there. Instead I was wondering about putting 4" to 6" of sand in the inflow and heater chambers which would cause the water to be filtered through the sand. It's not a very big area, only about 14.5" x 4". Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!

Archived