Coral Vue Hydros

40 uniquarium

one8thscale

one8thscale

pico1: Thanks

StandD: I thought of doing that with that light but can you control both PC or is there only one controller for the PCs. Do you run reverse photo period? Yep the venturi skimmer.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I Take Pictures

Wow, nice tank.

Hey, youre in Gardena? Are you a freqeunt customer at Jeff's too (lol)? I'm up on the hill, in Palos Verdes (but I'm not rich lol). Nice to see another reefer so close :D .

EDIT:

Wow I just noticed pheallox is even closer to me.

one8thscale

ITP: Thanks, yep Gardena, and yeah it's hard to find reefers in the area, most that I meet are in the OC. I go to Jeff's for my water and other drygoods, but have not bought livestock there in a while. Prices went up and well my tank doesn't have room for the large pieces he has. Have you ever checked out Netpunes Reef on PCH? Pices seem hi there too for corals but fish is reasonable, but I'm guessing the rent in that area is pretty high.

Another South Bayer checking in. Nice tank!

Curious if you picked up the blastos and other nice coral locally?

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your my idol! ! ! ! I have a 46g bowfront tank (36x15x18) and want to change it to saltwater when i move on July 24th. I ALSO will have 40 lbs of live figi, sand, and i want/plan on getting a yellow tang, and keeping my single clown, and possibly keeping single green chromis in, but might trade chromis, becuase i feel bad hes by himself. :( Mine will be just a FOWLR tank though, at least until x-mas, becuase ill ask for money for new canopy/light ;) lol. So, would the yellow tang be fine in the tank? As i said, mines 36x15x18, with 40 lbs LR, sand, and clown as company. With aquaclear 70, maxi jet(s), HOB aquaclear 70, 200w heater, and canopy???

Thanks!

Flick ! :)

one8thscale

Texsun: Yeah I get all my corals locally. Blastos from Platinum Reefs (tigahboy) which I don't think exists anymore since he's back in school.

Flick: Thanks. Good luck w/the move. As for the tang, well I'll let the tang police answer that one. A good trade off would be to not get the tang and add more chromis. It's looks pretty cool when they school. Also think about getting some cool inverts maybe. What kind of lighting are you planning on getting?

what? You have a tang in a tank 6 gallons smaller than mine? lol. What do you plan on doing with your tang then? Im going to trade mine in when he gets about 5"...for a new smaller 2" baby again...All i wish to have in the tank now are the single clown, possibly 2, and the small yellow tang... As for lighting, its just going to be a normal fluorescent canopy that came with the tank kit, and i wont be getting a better one until christmas, which is when ill get/ask for money, and buy a new one ;)

Flcik :)

Texsun: Yeah I get all my corals locally. Blastos from Platinum Reefs (tigahboy) which I don't think exists anymore since he's back in school.

Ah, thought they looked familiar. Dennis has (had) some nice stuff.

We should all get together do a South Bay frag swap sometime (I'm in Torrance)!

one8thscale

Flick: LOL that's why I didn't want to say anything about the tang since I know I really shouldn't have him in there. He's about 2" too. Not sure what I'm going to do with him later.

Texsun: Definately, but I need a little more time for my corals to grow out.

Really only 2" still?

he loosk 4"-5" lol! Great specimen none the less! I want him! Ive decided to go with a kole tang for my future tank though, lol ;)

Flick :)

I Take Pictures
ITP: Thanks, yep Gardena, and yeah it's hard to find reefers in the area, most that I meet are in the OC. I go to Jeff's for my water and other drygoods, but have not bought livestock there in a while. Prices went up and well my tank doesn't have room for the large pieces he has. Have you ever checked out Netpunes Reef on PCH? Pices seem hi there too for corals but fish is reasonable, but I'm guessing the rent in that area is pretty high.

Ya, I used to go to Neptunes alot since its about 10 min. from my house. They have so-so store. A fairly good selection of fish at reasonable prices but for coral they are pretty bad, as in prices and selection. And as far as employees go, everyone is OK except for the owner, and the other emplyees give bad advice. I make the drive down to Jeffs most of the time now.

StandD: I thought of doing that with that light but can you control both PC or is there only one controller for the PCs. Do you run reverse photo period? Yep the venturi skimmer.

Hey,

I grew up in San Pedro - go PIRATES!!

Only 1 controller for the PCs. The other switch on my hood is for the LEDs. The metal halide is also on a separate switch at the ballast. So, I run a 150W 14k Phoenix bulb during the day between 10-4 and the PCs from 8-6. The LEDs run when the MH isnt on. So, the Actinic 03 bulb on the front PC gives it that nightime look for 2 hours before and after the MH period while the 6700k bulb in the rear PC lights the chaeto.

Stan

I like what I take pics is saying I can thank john at neptunes for my seaclone and sun coral(feed it every three weaks my a$$)jeffs is good I miss the old owners of aloha they really took care of me B)

one8-stylo looked dgood for a few weaks then started to brown so it now has a good home in my brothers tank it is an sps system anyways. and fts will be soon I might be moving every thing into a 55 soon again I miss aloha ;)

Ah, thought they looked familiar. Dennis has (had) some nice stuff.

LOL. Yeah, I made the drive up to see him and picked up the last of his blastos before he went back to school. Very nice corals. LOVED the surge tank.

one8thscale

Flick: I guess the tang is more like 3" LOL

ITP: Yeah the owner of Neptune is not so nice. I tried to bargain with him on a used HOB refugium but wasn't interested. And corals there are pricey.

stanD: My sister in-law and brother-in-law went to San Pedro High. Tigah boy def had some cool stuff. Yeah I saw the surge when he had the mantis in it pretty cool.

pheallox: Jeffs is much better then Neptunes. I only found out about Aloha when the went out of business. Met the owner and got some good deals. Too bad another good local shop had to close. Too bad about the stylo, I had it positioned at the very top of the tank when I had PC's and it kept its color. Anyway hows your tank going? I saw on someother thread that you are looking for a mantis.

Cam barr: thanks.

Tanks doing great mike the owner of aloha (hawthorne and supulvida?) sold me a 55 clearf or life for fifty bucks so as soon as the plumbing and canapy are done every thing is moving over...I have a 80% all black acrylis built by me 2+2 with 13 watts I am letting it over grow with gsp and a few zoas here and they all the lr is glued to a plexi frame so when the decor grows into the rock I want a small mantis to call it home lots of aptasia but I will have some fun with them soon there are pics in my gallery

iluvfishies01

Man, your dendros are smokin'!!! The sun corals look awesome. At first glance, they look unreal, almost fake. :) Keep up the good reefin'.

I Take Pictures

Went to Neptunes today and was pleasently suprised, lots of nice corals (never thought I would say that about Neptunes) and some were reasonably priced.

Just thought I would mention it.

Kellie in CA

Do you happen to have a picture of the top of the tank? I am seriously looking into getting a 55 gal (36x18x20) and I am wondering about how to go about choosing the lights. Are there 2 openings on top, or only one? Will the light go through the acrylic pretty well? I am really worried about shadows. I think I want the 36" Sunpod (2x150 MH, 18 Luner LEDs), I am hoping that the lights will match up with the openings on the top of the tank. But, I am not sure what will happen with the LEDs and if they will look alright through the acrylic. It is really hard to get pictures of he Uniquariums, other than the back view. My other choice for lighting is the Outer Orbit (1x150 MH, 2x96 watt PC, 4 Luner), but that one has the MH dead center and I think these tanks might have an acrylic brace down the middle.

one8thscale

Yes the top has two openings with a brace in the middle. My fixture fits perfectly over the tank and the lights are centered over the openings. I would get the 2 150s. You will get better coverage. The 1x150 will give you shadows. As far as I know, LEDs will go through acrylic. I had LEDs with my old PC fixture and it looked alright. Only problem was the LEDs were towards the back of the fixture so I had moonlights towards the back. Just make sure your LEDs are distributed in the center of the fixture to get even coverage or front and back.

one8thscale

Got a new camera for the family, so...just testing it out.

Updated FTS

uni060706.jpg

Pink & Green Echino

echino060706.jpg

Rainbow Monti

rainbowmonti060706.jpg

Poker Star (Recovering well. It was the leftovers from fragging)

pokerstar060706.jpg

one8thscale,

Awesome looking tank! I have the same exact Uniquarium as you do. I'm using the Sunpod 36" 2x150 MH fixture for the display. I've been wanting to put Chaeto in the back but couldn't figure out how I could light it. Can you please tell me what light you are using to do this? If you can add pics on what the set up looks like that would make my day!

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank is incredible. I have a 60 gallon uniquarium and i'm looking to upgrade the rear filtration like you have. Your set up might just be the key to erasing the uniquarium's bad reputation. I'm in Torrance, and if it's cool, i'd like to take a look at how you have the live rock, cheato, and grow light all set up. Also, I've been going to aquatic fantasy, in Redondo, and it's cool but it's super expensive. What is this "Jeff's" that everyone keeps posting on?

thanks for any help

rich

Archived