Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I think I have a few Aiptasia on one of my rocks...

Sahin

I noticed several small coral things that resemble Aiptasia.

I doubt I would find any nudibranch over here in the UK to get rid of the pest coral, so I thought of plugging the holes of the Aiptasia with expoxy resin, the stuff the LFS use to glue frags of coral to rocks.  

Would this be a good battle against these pests?

I am thinking that if I plug thier hole for a few weeks, they cant come out and would probably die out.

What do you think?

i have never had an aiptasia problem myself, but i believe i have heard that they can find other holes to come out of... might be worth a try though!

snafuforyou1

it will work as long as there is no back door-be sure the hole is completely plugged and there's no other way out- I currently have the same problem and will get a pep shrimp

if you want to place a peppermint shrimp in there it will love to  eat them-as long as the aiptasia are not too large- be aware that pep shrimp will eat your small feather dusters too-and a few members had mentioned the peps picking at some corals? though i've never experienced it.

I used to like aiptasias as an addition to my reefs. they give it character on barren rock. They however became a nusance. SO..... I nuked them. I got some kalkwasser,

and a small pippette. put some of the powder in a bottle cap, added 3 drops of water to make a paste. I sucked it up into the pippette then blasted the top of the aiptasia anemone head. INSTA MUSH ! they died and the large ones were sucked out with a siphon. The small ones "eh poof jamaica" dissapeared. now I can mannage my aiptasia herd. it works better than the pep idea I had them and I had camel Shrimps.. they wrecked my reef.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Dave ESPI thanks; I think your idea about squirting them with Kalk paste will be most effective.

Most of my rock are clean.  its just this one rock that has about 10 of them and another nice piece of rock has got a single one.

Hopefully I will nuke all of within a few days.

geoffgarcia

could someone please describe to me what these aptasia things look like, I'm sure I must have them in my tank as well but have no idea what I'm looking for.

There are two things in particular that I see in my tank that I assume are pests.

1) in several places I have single whiplike tentacles sticking out. They are clear and seem to just sorta roam the local rock. The individual tentacles are roughly 1/2" long. All I ever see is the tentacle, they come out of holes in the rocks.

2) in one spot I see some type of creature that has 4-8 tentacles forming something like an umbrella frame. Its very very small, smaller than a dime, but I see it has an oral disk. Is this the aptasia?

i had a couple small aptasia and used kalkwasser concentrated in a syringe.  it did take 2 times to get rid  of them all but it worked. a couple came back but i think one thing that helped was the 2nd time i shot what was left my mini brittle stars moved in on them and they never came back.  here are some other ways to try to get rid of them

http://www.reefsource.com/aptasia1.htm

I think it's notright to kill them if they don't do any damage...

they are not as bad as seems :)

just a waste of anemones :confused:

i've got a single one in my tank, i've tried just about everything besides predators to get rid of it and it just keeps coming back out of its hole.  Maybe when i get a torch it'll sting the aiptapsia to death

Hey DEVIL:

Do you want all of my Aiptasia?  I will ship you all of my aitasia. I will even pay for the post-man to drop them in your tank for you! :)

How about that?  You'de be saving aiptasia life. :)

Archived