Cultivated Reef

Potential Disaster!?

jay2k2

a few days ago i was out of water conditoiner so i asked my friend if i could use his. his was Seachem PH 7.0 neutral removes clorine chrlaminate and ammionia so i thought if i add it then the salt will being the PH up! so i added the salt to the bucket then i added the water conditioner! man was i dumb! the conditioner made the PH 7.0 so i decided to add some of kents DKH buffer so i added it and the ph went back up to 8.3 (i added quite a bit) so now i am playing the waiting game to see if my fish are ok becuase it says it takes about 24 hours for the PH to neutralize. so i hope it stays where it is cause i don't want anything to die :( can someone reply and tell me if anything bad will come of this?!

are we talking massive amounts of water?  i think i would have just redone the water from scratch using RO/DI rather than worrying about water conditioners.  plus water conditioners don't remove a lot of compounds that could throw your tank out of whack.  since you apparently already added the water to your aquarium all you can really do is wait and see what happens.  hope it works out for you!

i never believe in water conditioners...they only lock-up chlorine, etc for a specific number of days then trace of it will slowly appear in your water :) which can cause stress to your inhabitants...

well i just check the tank and everything was alive and well i tested the Ph and is was at a nice 8.1 so everything was great!

Archived