Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

I bought two crabs about 3 weeks ago. Never saw one after the first day, the other one died on the third day. I figured I had screwed up the acclimation or something. Then today I see her with an egg sack. I felt guilty that I had slaughtered these poor crabs. But no, only half of them died.

How long do they carry around those egg sacks anyways?

post-65052-0-89294200-1362275173_thumb.jpg

Here is mine. Had him in my 5 gallon pico for a couple of months now. One anemone is white and one has a pink hue to it. Fun to watch the little guy waving his anemones.

post-77876-0-77268100-1362275643_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure my pom pom got popped by my pistol. I saw him climb into his burrow and heard a few shots. Haven't seen him since... :(

• 4 weeks later...

I joined the club yesterday! Found a pom pom locally and so far so good. They are even cuter in person than they are in photos and I wasn't expecting him to be so small! :wub:

crazyfishgirl

picked up a pom pom crab today, didn't have his nems so I bought him his very own zoa rock in the hopes that he would use those instead. I didn't want him to be without anything to carry around. Anyway, can you feed them shrimp pellets? It's what I feed my sexy shrimp in the same tank. Or should I just stick with mysis?

A humorous incident to report. A nerite snail died which brought out a nassarius snail. It also prompted the pom pom crab to high tail it out of his cave and head towards the dead snail. He and the nassarius proceeded to tussle over the carcass, with the pom pom winning the battle. He dragged his prize into his cave and sat on top of it, waving his pom poms in a victory celebration. Love this little guy! :wub:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
crazyfishgirl

Will a Pom Pom crab eat a sexy shrimp? One of mine is missing. It's a 4 gallon tank and the inverts are a Pom Pom crab, sexy shrimp and a couple snails

Shallow~Reef

Just picked up one of these guys cause it was lost in a tank at petco among the live rock!

Bummer part is there isn't any nems on the claws of this guy.

IMG_20121125_153911.jpg

Will be looking for more soon.

He looks very lost without his nem. They look more lethal without them to. lol

• 2 months later...
duganderson

I had a few questions....

I have a 28 g. nano with 2 rbta, softies, lps, sps and macros. I have 2 oc. clowns, red firefish, snail cleanup crew, and likely will add an african flameback angel. I also will be adding a cleaner shimp. I'm bare bottom now but added 1/2" to 1" of sand soon.

Would a Pom Pom be a good fit with the corals, fish, etc?

How many could/should I add in my tank?

When the anemones die, what do they do? Are they still cool to watch when their anemone's die?

I feed pellets and flake alternating daily and frozen mysis one time a week but I don't want to target feed anything. Will a Pom Pom(s) so Ok with this feeding?

Thanks!

I picked up a couple for my tank a couple days ago, the the guy pulled one of them out it was munching on a bristle worm. He said that was a first for him to see.

Snow_Phoenix

My Pom-Pom chases my Blue legged Golded Coral Banded around the tank, the Coral Banded is so scared of her lol

Lol, mine keeps to himself. But I always see him up and about at night time - he usually leaves all my fish and other inverts alone. :)

jedimasterben

I don't think it would be possible. The crabs do not sit there and just hold it on something for hours or days on end, which is what it would take for it to do any damage.

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Has anyone had a pom pom kill corals with its anemones?

So far mine doesn't 'sting' anything with his nems. He just keeps to himself in his cave, and scuttles out of it looking for scraps/mysis/pellets to eat at night. I don't think they could kill coral with their nems though; those nems are uber-tiny.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I joined the pom pom crab a month ago waited 2 months for my LFS to get one in stock for me definitely an awesome addition to my pico. She currently has an egg sack. Like CGnano said they get pretty aggressive over food I was surprised when after two says she was hitting a hermit crab for a piece of food.

post-68965-0-68923200-1381526341_thumb.jpg

post-68965-0-35709800-1381526420_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...