SaltCritters.com

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

One of my Pom Pom's. I got a female with eggs :) she was carrying them in the tank at the store and has held onto them since I introduced her and the other pom pom yesterday. She actually only had one pom pom when I got her but I guess the other pom pom decided to share so now she has two and he has one.

NewImage.jpg

One of my Pom Pom's. I got a female with eggs :) she was carrying them in the tank at the store and has held onto them since I introduced her and the other pom pom yesterday. She actually only had one pom pom when I got her but I guess the other pom pom decided to share so now she has two and he has one.

Nice ... Babies coming ? or are the fish going to eat the eggs ?

Nice ... Babies coming ? or are the fish going to eat the eggs ?

I would love to try to raise the babies but I've heard its almost impossible to get the larvae to grow into adults in captivity. I don't have any fish. Just 3 sexy shrimp, snails, and hermits. Could I keep them in a breeder net inside the tank to try raising them?

jedimasterben
Thanks for the link! I do have a spare 2 gallon laying around that I could house her in. Would an airstone instead of a powerhead be okay? And should I add sand or keep it BB?

A sponge filter would be best, and BB.

I think I'm really going to give this a shot :D I might make my own sponge filter, but they are also pretty cheap online. Either option works though. Does anyone know what the larvae will eat? All I will have in the tank is a heater, sponge filter, water from my 5.5 gallon tank, and a few pieces of LR.

• 1 month later...

lljdma06 and neuwave, both of you have anemones that are growing very well. Do your crab's anemones ever split without the crab's help?

It would be great if you guys can provide one or more of the anemone that someone can then try to raise just by themselves. It sounds like these guys should be relatively easy to care for as far as anemones go. Then with enough propagation, we can help those pom-less crabs that a lot of us (like me) have :)

I would be up for trying to raise some anemones if I can get my hands on an anemone.

lljdma06 and neuwave, both of you have anemones that are growing very well. Do your crab's anemones ever split without the crab's help?

It would be great if you guys can provide one or more of the anemone that someone can then try to raise just by themselves. It sounds like these guys should be relatively easy to care for as far as anemones go. Then with enough propagation, we can help those pom-less crabs that a lot of us (like me) have :)

I would be up for trying to raise some anemones if I can get my hands on an anemone.

Well, while I wasn't there when Amanda actually split her nem, I'm assuming that she indeed was the one who did it. I'm not sure you can propagate the anemones on their own. It would be cool though.

The trick, catching a crab long enough to swipe a nem. Since Amanda was eaten by the dendro, I have a new crab who is extremely secretive. Has both nems that are quite large now, but I rarely see him.

L

I saw one of my crab doing this "convincing" to another crab once (back when their nems used to be alive). It involved a lot of wrestling and grabbing. Anyone up to the task? :D

Catching them is the easy part - convincing one to let go of one of its nems is an entirely different story! :lol:

That would be incredibly awesome if someone could raise those anemones. I bet there would be a very high demand for them. I too have two crabs missing their poms!!!!!!!

Just picked up one of these guys cause it was lost in a tank at petco among the live rock!

Bummer part is there isn't any nems on the claws of this guy.

IMG_20121125_153911.jpg

Will be looking for more soon.

I haven't split their nems myself. I've seen them tear their nems in half for each claw(hand). Also take one from anther until everyone had one. Would be awesome if we could split them ourselves.

Just picked up one of these guys cause it was lost in a tank at petco among the live rock!

Bummer part is there isn't any nems on the claws of this guy.

IMG_20121125_153911.jpg

Will be looking for more soon.

If you can find one with a nem, it is possible they can share. Nice find though.

My guess is that these anemones are too small to be of interest to collectors, so the wholesalers never gets any shipments of them.

Is it not possible to order the anemones through a local LFS? From what i understand they are fairly common in the wild. Bunodeopsis species (Beaded Anemone).
  • 1 month later...

I picked up a tiny one of these little guys a little over a week ago. What a cool addition to my Fluval Spec reef.

December 26, 2012

10314455_10202846234931933_9215371380431

February 6, 2013

10401932_10202846239252041_7081794644147

October 17, 2013

1376413_10201336010017254_45729374_n.jpg