Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

What you think, sexy chicas??

You can see why the sexy shrimp just ran away. Armand IS the stud of the reef...

ROFLMAO that was hilarious! Love it!

Just witnessed one of my pom pom crabs molting in public. I guess this one wasn't shy.....

It actually started molting while holding both anemones.... then after it molted, it just grabbed the anemones from the shell.

Do you have fish in your tank? I think this is partly due to the fact that I don't have any fish in my tank. The only things bigger than the crabs I have are snails and a tridacna clam.

Also, it seems if they have the anemones, they are bolder. But from the picture, looks like yours has her anemones?

I first got 1 crab without anemones, and there was a period of a month where I didn't see it even in my 5 gallon tank. Then I got other crabs with anemones, and this one managed to get 1. Then it started appearing more often.

Of course, that could also be due to having 3 crabs and maybe they don't like sharing the same hiding places and there just aren't that many hiding places in the 5 gallon for all 3 of them.

Thats awesome that you got to witness that as mine is extremely shy...I hadnt seen her in over 3 months..

Do the nems open & close like corals?

Mine had nems that looked to be growing for awhile, then yesterday suddenly they are reduced to tiny stubs.

Do the nems open & close like corals?

Mine had nems that looked to be growing for awhile, then yesterday suddenly they are reduced to tiny stubs.

Mine get bigger and smaller.

You didn't see my video and I made it just for your girls, PinkDamsel! Sort of like a online dating profile. Armand wanted too. :D

Mine is with a fish, but honestly can anybody really refer to a panda goby as an intimidating fish?

L

You didn't see my video and I made it just for your girls, PinkDamsel! Sort of like a online dating profile. Armand wanted too. :D

Can hardly wait to see it! I'm stuck behind a corporate firewall, so have to get access to an unblocked computer,

My pompom is happy and doing great. Had him for approx 3 months now. He lives in a 40 breeder and is out all the time. His roomies are 2 clowns, 1 yellow head sleeper goby, 1 lawnmower bel., and a snowflake eel. Yes , a snowflake eel, and he doesn't bother anyone. Hell I even hand feed him his krill. So I don't believe tank size matters. Just my 2 pennies.

jedimasterben

Well, I've had my two pom pom crabs for a few weeks now, and I've seen them roughly five times in a 55g. :)

I bought my two without nems (they were 50% off so I figured what the heck), and my friend bought two with nems, so we were gonna trade one each but I couldn't find any of mine lol, so I just dropped one of his in. A week later, I see his with only one nem, and I saw both of mine with one tiny one each, so it looks as though they are sharing. :)

Setting up a new, smaller system for them and a bunch of sexy shrimp, so hopefully I will see them more. :)

If a pom pom has 2 different nems in each claw, would the nems kill each other when the crab accidentally touches them?

If you read from my earlier post, after some fighting over nems, I ended up with 2 crabs with different nem in each claw. It looks like the ones with 2 different nems would have one nem doing much better (bigger), while the other one just shrinks to a tiny size. As of right now, the 2 with different nems: one only has one now, but that one looks healthy, the other one has 2 different ones, one looks much bigger, the other one is so tiny that it is almost invisible to the naked eye (and the one that is bigger looks almost transparent, might have ejected its zoozanthelle due to stress from fighting the other nem?)

jedimasterben
If a pom pom has 2 different nems in each claw, would the nems kill each other when the crab accidentally touches them?

If you read from my earlier post, after some fighting over nems, I ended up with 2 crabs with different nem in each claw. It looks like the ones with 2 different nems would have one nem doing much better (bigger), while the other one just shrinks to a tiny size. As of right now, the 2 with different nems: one only has one now, but that one looks healthy, the other one has 2 different ones, one looks much bigger, the other one is so tiny that it is almost invisible to the naked eye (and the one that is bigger looks almost transparent, might have ejected its zoozanthelle due to stress from fighting the other nem?)

What kind of anemone would it have picked up? I've never heard of one picking up another anemone other than the pom pom. They'll pick up various objects, but I've never seen them get another nem.

I bought 2 pom pom crabs each with 2 anemone. When I bought them, they each had 2 of the same anemone, but different from the other pom pom crab's anemone. I also had 1 pom pom crab already in the tank with no anemone.

After I introduced the 2 new crabs, one gave (or had it taken) one of its anemone to the anemone-less crab. Then in a fight with the other new crab, it took one of that crab's anemone, then that crab fought it back, but instead of taking back the same anemone, it ended up taken the different one, so it had 1 different anemone in each claw.

What kind of anemone would it have picked up? I've never heard of one picking up another anemone other than the pom pom. They'll pick up various objects, but I've never seen them get another nem.
  • 1 month later...

Did Nestlée murder Cosette?

Had to empty the tank Friday, and as I suspected, Cosette is no more; had not seen her since January. The question is, was she murdered by her own kind?

Mine is a 3-gallon. Nestlée, a female pompom, had been the only crab for a year. In December I got a second female, Cosette, about half Nestlée’s size.

At first, things were great. Nestlée had been nemless, but after Cosette arrived, I saw both crabs carrying nems. And while I never saw them exactly “together”, they were often just 2-3 inches apart. Never saw anything that looked threatening.

Next Cosette started hanging out on the very top of my rock, where Nestlée never goes. I wondered if she was more adventuresome, or maybe if below was Nestlée’s territory and she felt safer on top. Then I stopped seeing her altogether.

There’s nothing else in the tank that could possibly have killed Cosette – no fish, no shrimp, no large corals, just some cerith snails, and dwarves at that. And the tank has been very well fed (Nestlée’s growth confirms it), so it wasn’t starvation. :tears:

My sad conclusion is that Nestlée killed her. Someone else reported one pompom killing another, but I had hoped that was 2 males, and that 2 females would be OK. But in a 3-gallon, it would seem risky. She lasted a little over a month.

To add to the tragedy, Nestlée’s (stolen? shared?) nems were growing wonderfully, then late Feb. reduced to stubs, and finally were gone. IDK why this crab can’t hang onto her nems! :angry:

jedimasterben
Did Nestlée murder Cosette?

Had to empty the tank Friday, and as I suspected, Cosette is no more; had not seen her since January. The question is, was she murdered by her own kind?

Mine is a 3-gallon. Nestlée, a female pompom, had been the only crab for a year. In December I got a second female, Cosette, about half Nestlée’s size.

At first, things were great. Nestlée had been nemless, but after Cosette arrived, I saw both crabs carrying nems. And while I never saw them exactly “together”, they were often just 2-3 inches apart. Never saw anything that looked threatening.

Next Cosette started hanging out on the very top of my rock, where Nestlée never goes. I wondered if she was more adventuresome, or maybe if below was Nestlée’s territory and she felt safer on top. Then I stopped seeing her altogether.

There’s nothing else in the tank that could possibly have killed Cosette – no fish, no shrimp, no large corals, just some cerith snails, and dwarves at that. And the tank has been very well fed (Nestlée’s growth confirms it), so it wasn’t starvation. :tears:

My sad conclusion is that Nestlée killed her. Someone else reported one pompom killing another, but I had hoped that was 2 males, and that 2 females would be OK. But in a 3-gallon, it would seem risky. She lasted a little over a month.

To add to the tragedy, Nestlée’s (stolen? shared?) nems were growing wonderfully, then late Feb. reduced to stubs, and finally were gone. IDK why this crab can’t hang onto her nems! :angry:

I bought three pom poms a while ago (one month? two? can't remember.), haven't seen more than two out at a time until today, moved everything around and pissed them all off. It's probably hiding in a hole in your rockwork.

Edited by jedimasterben
It's probably hiding in a hole in your rockwork.

I wish you were right! But I have a single ceramic rock w. indentations but no holes large enough for a crab. I took the whole thing out Friday, she's definitely not there. :(

jedimasterben
I wish you were right! But I have a single ceramic rock w. indentations but no holes large enough for a crab. I took the whole thing out Friday, she's definitely not there. :(

:( I tried to be hopeful.

Tomorrow I will have a Pom Pom Crab! ^^ Yay!

Congrats! Where are you getting it from? My lfs only has them in Dec. so they seem like a seasonal item.

Congrats! Where are you getting it from? My lfs only has them in Dec. so they seem like a seasonal item.

LFS in Hasselt, Belgium. They just got them in this week from Indonesia. Will cost 15 EUR (19.62 USD).

jedimasterben
LFS in Hasselt, Belgium. They just got them in this week from Indonesia. Will cost 15 EUR (19.62 USD).

Got a pom pom for 15$! omgomgomg

Yikes! Mine were $6!

jedimasterben
You're also in FL. I'm in TN. Completely land-locked.

It's not like pom pom crabs are from anywhere around here. Some places will have them for $10-14.