Coral Vue Hydros

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

really cool pics woogiekids! Good luck with the crabs, I hope to try working with pom-pom larvae too soon< hopefully this summer if I can find myself another male.

Hello guys,

Where is everyone getting their pom pom crabs? I have been looking for quite a while and have never seen any local stores carrying them. I'm afraid of ordering live stock online.

bluezooaquatics has them.

Hello guys,

Where is everyone getting their pom pom crabs? I have been looking for quite a while and have never seen any local stores carrying them. I'm afraid of ordering live stock online.

You can ask your LFS to order them also.

You mean are there different sexes, not genders. Gender is a culturally constructed identity, whereas sex is considered a natural maleness or femaleness based on hormones and physical characteristics.

To answer your question, the arm will come back after a molt or two. The pom-poms are anemones that the crabs hold in their arms. They will grow at different rates. Mine has one that is slightly bigger than the other.

Hope this helps.

thanks for answering the part about the molting, but what i meant was his crab was significantly larger then mine, does that mean his is male and mine female? or vice versa? or does that mean his is simply older then mine?

thanks for answering the part about the molting, but what i meant was his crab was significantly larger then mine, does that mean his is male and mine female? or vice versa? or does that mean his is simply older then mine?

The sizes might be due to age. The best way to tell sex of a crab is to look at the underside. An oval-like plate on the bottom means a female, whereas a long, thinner plate indicates a male.

pmoradi2002
whered you get it?! i cant find one in any of the oc/inland empire places

Call around. Most places can get it in for you if you ask them to.

I got mine from Coral Oasis.

• 2 months later...

photos and where did you get it :D !? i noticed you were from the IE and thats a bit closer than an oc place :]

Edited by Llamaslayer

Love these rascals, my #1 standby recommendation for pico reef crabbing. have always had one, just lost my oldest one so Im now interested in knowing the max time anyone has kept one alive, to get a general idea on lifespan maximums

got about 35-40 months in a one gallon pico before he kicked the bucket...plus, he died in a place I can't and won't get to so I just left him in the bowl to rot. posthumously he proved that death of small animals in a tiny pico isn't necessarily devastating.

after about 100 molts I thought he was dead each time

it was when I saw his bunnodeopsis anemones crawling up the rock I knew this wasn't just a molt :(

I got two of these little rascals yesterday, waiting for them to appear again...lol. Didn't think something could hide this well in my 3 gallon picotope.

• 3 weeks later...
Love these rascals, my #1 standby recommendation for pico reef crabbing. have always had one, just lost my oldest one so Im now interested in knowing the max time anyone has kept one alive, to get a general idea on lifespan maximums

got about 35-40 months in a one gallon pico before he kicked the bucket...plus, he died in a place I can't and won't get to so I just left him in the bowl to rot. posthumously he proved that death of small animals in a tiny pico isn't necessarily devastating.

after about 100 molts I thought he was dead each time

it was when I saw his bunnodeopsis anemones crawling up the rock I knew this wasn't just a molt :(

i havent logged in here awhile but decided to check on this thread and find any info on life expectancy this afternoon after staring at my pom pom crab in its 5.5g. i got the crab from the LFS back in Sept 2007, and i am amazed at how resilient this little guy is.

over the years, various inverts have slowly died off one by one but ive never restocked since it's been so challenging to maintain temps for my tank in my small apartment (major swings). but through it all, this crab is still scurrying about with both its anemones intact today, and now its the only store-bought livestock i have.

PinkDamsel

Hi, everyone. I'm still trying to sex my crab, and I'm wondering how you all get a view of the underside - mine never is in a position where I can see the full abdomen. The best I've managed is this pic - for those more experienced, is it enough to tell (I was guessing female)?

bluepompom772011.jpg

Yes, Nestlée lost her pompoms and as you can see she's carrying a substitute in 1 claw. I think it's a piece of my demised ric.

Another question: does anybody know what the white dot is on the "chest"? The mouth? Anus? Just a decorative marking? I noticed both males and females have the dot, sorta looks like a target, lol.

Edited by PinkDamsel
photos and where did you get it :D !? i noticed you were from the IE and thats a bit closer than an oc place :]

Sorry, didn't catch your post earlier.

I will try and get some pics, the pom pom is petty reclusive.

I got it from Petworld, right off the 10 on Harriman exit Tippecanoe. Across the street from Best Buy.

The guys in there are usually pretty nice. Usually have a good selection of livestock.

They just happened to have a pom pom when I went in there.

If you are looking for other store, here are a couple. Just call ahead and ask what you want.

Another place is Shillingtons in Beaumont. The owner is friendly and knowledgeable.

965 Calimesa Boulevard

Calimesa‎ CA‎ 92320-1120

United States

And in Ontario there is a huge store, Global Aquatics. Friendly people willing to makes deals in there.

1420 South Carlos Avenue

Ontario‎ CA‎ 91761-7655

United States

Jans had a decent selection

5427 Moreno St

Ste E

Montclair, CA 91763

Hope that helps!

• 5 weeks later...

Time to bump this thead!

Finally got a full-underside-frontal view, and Nestlée is definitely a she-crab!

However, the mystery of the white dot remains. It's like a panel that flaps open & shut, not often but occasionally. There doesn't seem to be an opening behind it, but it happens so quickly it's hard to be sure. Can't see that anything is going in or coming out, but who knows? Wonder if it's an organ of some kind. If so, what?

And if that isn't the mouth, where is the mouth located Behind the moving mouth parts?

Intriguing little critters....

• 1 month later...
naturalwonders

I'll be redoing my 2.5G macroalgae tank which is housing the pistol shrimp+goby pair and will replace them with some of these Pom Pom dudes hahahaha.

Could someone let me know if they are ok with neon gobies?

Thanks.

This may be a dumb question and im probably just overreacting but I added one of these little guys this weekend, and today i was cleaning my tank and had to push a rock up then down to clean a spot, is there any chance i could have crushed/trapped my crab?

the rock is 100% on crushed coral so no rock to rock grinding

he's good ill post my phone pics later

Edited by northeastern