inTank Media Baskets

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

Ooh there's a thread for these guys! I just got 2 for Valentine's Day. The larger one's female, smaller one's male.

crabsacclimating.jpg

I suck at taking tank pictures, but here's the best one so far.

100_1143-1.jpg

I love how active they are! I saw some white things swirling around in the corner yesterday morning and thought I had a little whirlpool for some reason. But nope, it was one of the crabs waving his nems in circles, right out in the open.

Ooh there's a thread for these guys! I just got 2 for Valentine's Day. The larger one's female, smaller one's male.

crabsacclimating.jpg

I suck at taking tank pictures, but here's the best one so far.

100_1143-1.jpg

I love how active they are! I saw some white things swirling around in the corner yesterday morning and thought I had a little whirlpool for some reason. But nope, it was one of the crabs waving his nems in circles, right out in the open.

Awesome!

• 1 month later...

Guys do you know if they can live in a tank with other fish and shrimp...like a couple of Stenopus Hispidus ?

Thanks... couze i've added 1...but i don't see him from days...

My tank is 50g

Guys do you know if they can live in a tank with other fish and shrimp...like a couple of Stenopus Hispidus ?

Thanks... couze i've added 1...but i don't see him from days...

My tank is 50g

should be fine as tankmates. I had 2 for about a year and a half with cleaner shrimp, several fish and many hermit crabs. I did just lose one but couldn't find any reason, could have just been his time to go. My other one I won't see for a while then all of a sudden we will see him when I am feeding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked one of these guys up today! Was at the store getting water and they had one. I had been wanting one for a while so I grabbed him since he was only 10 bucks. Looked like he only has one anemone, and it didn't look in real great shape but I was ok with that.

I feel bad because I had to acclimate and run. I put him in the tank and he took off and hid, hopefully he'll still be ok when we get home next week. I'll be home off and on between then to feed and take care of the tank, but won't get to sit and watch it. :(

Great inhabitants! I got 2 females in my tank and if they enough food, they tend to lay eggs once in a while. Trying to find a male. I have mine with 6 bumble bee shrimp. So far no battles.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been two weeks since I put mine in my 20g long, and I hadn't seen it since the day I put it in. Last week I put a peppermint shrimp in and he disappeared 2 days after putting him in. I feared the worst, that something was eating my small crustaceans, even though my skunk cleaner has been fine.

Then tonight when I was feeding the tank I just happened to look down between some rocks and saw a funny shape. It was my pom pom hanging out in there. Wooo! Thought he was a gonner after the shrimp disappeared. Now if I can just coax the thing to come out into the open....

pompomwarning.jpg

I read every single post in this thread, sadly I was unable to house 2 pom pom crabs in a 6 gallon tank.

Possible reasons of failure:

-They were introduce at different times. The first pom pom was the biggest and was introduced about 3 weeks before the second pom pom that was smaller.

-They were both males? I would think males would be more aggressive, but I have not try to gender ID them

-The first pom pom had already mark its territory.

Quick summary: Pom Pom's are reef-safe, People are able to keep more than one, and they can be kept with other invertebrates such as sexy shrimps, parceling crabs, emerald crabs, and as well as some fishes such as a goby and other small nano fishes. Some Pom Pom like to hide while others roam freely. You can target feed pom poms with Cyclopeeze, and other small particle foods as well as tiny portions of mysis shrimp . Their little anemones are used as "mops" to collect food and they also use them in self-defense. They can share their anemones with other pom pom crabs if the other does not have one, as they are able to split their anemones. If they do not have anemones they will use and pick up other corals as substitutes. They molt like other crabs and shrimps as they grow.

Aggression toward other pom pom crabs can happen (see above picture.) For best results I would suggest to introduce all the pom pom crabs that you are planing in having at the same time. If there is a substantial size difference I suggest introduce the little ones first so that they can familiarize themselves with the area and they can find a safe placed to hide. Otherwise, you might want to keep them separated in different tanks. From what I've read some pom poms will attack another pom pom for their anemones if it doesn't have any. Some pom poms are just evil and will attack other critters in your tank as some people have reported pom pom attacking and eating sexy shrimps and other shrimps, attacks towards gobies, and other crabs such as emeralds, porcelain, and other pom pom crabs.

Anyone know of a place in the Phoenix area that carries these? I really want to get one for my tank but can't find a decent LFS that ever has them in.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Pom Pom for the last two months, see him all the time, love him when i bought him he only had one nem yesterday noticed a Aip popped up on a rock, was going to zap it today only to find it gone :mellow: so fed the crew only to see pom pom out with guess what! the Aip on his other claw!!! what worries me now will i have Aips spreading over the tank with him carrying it around?

Also like to know if i can add another one? getting a new tank next week and will be changing all the stock over to this one should i add it then? if i can

Edited by nellups
  • 1 month later...

nellups, I know this is probably way late of an answer but you could always try and catch your Pom if you see it pick up Aip and just confiscate it from her.

So I wanted to add in my 2 cents here. Or more like $1.02 :P because I feel I have too gained experience from the caring of these beautiful creatures.

My take on selection and lifespan:

Lifespan: Most Poms live under 6 years (if housed in an aquarium containing lots of competition) in fact most live under 2 years due to higher competition, which is why it is recommended for smaller aquariums to boost it's chance or survival.

*personal story* My first Pom was a TRUE boxer and fighter :) she lived to be 4 years (under my care, and she was mid sized when I purchased her which meant she was at least 4-6 months old) and this was quite a feat due to the fact that I introduced her into a 46gal bowfront that was pre-stocked with a full CUC and various larger animals that could have attacker her but did NOT. I had a Tiger Pistol/YWG combo and they never posed a problem to my Pom, I had a porcelain crab with anemone and the porcelain never left his anemone so no problem there. I had a Valentini Puffer and he did not bother my Pom. A few other creatures were present and when I downgraded from a 46 to a 30 my Pom survived. 4 years. More info to come :)

Pom Pom Selection: and as far as selection goes. Purchase from a reputable LFS with either both original Anemones , or purchase one with a single anemone to introduce into your aquarium. IF you decide to purchase a pom with 1 of it's original anemones, then make sure the your house aquarium contains NO AIPTASIA and also make sure the LFS you purchase from is relatively aiptasia free OR is housing their inverts in Aiptasia free containers (this lessens the chances your lil guy will pick up aiptasia in liu of a missing anemone) another crucial detail which you may not consider is, IF you want to have your Pom for years to come select SMALLER crabs with both anemones. Reason for this is that IF you purchase the largest Pom due to wanting to increase it's chance of survival in your tank you may be selecting one with a shorter lifespan. Since Pom Pom crabs only live so long, why not purchase one who will grow with your tank and live longer than that other BIGGER crab?

Male or Female? IMO I have found male poms to be slightly more aggressive than females, however the aggressive tendencies may turn out if the crab had been previously bullied. Be aware that female crabs WILL go into reproduction cycles (and that means eggs) just because your crab has/OR you select a Pom Pom crab with eggs does not mean they are fertile eggs... all it means is she is a female AND she had her menses (hahaha) Sorry, I'm a girl too. Just as many people in this thread have explained, check the lower abdomen of your Pom to sex them, females have a bigger belly plate than males do.

Molting this is the most dangerous time for any invert of this type. It is important to provide your Pom with plenty of hiding space in your tank/rock work (if you have any animal that may prey on the soft crab) as the crab ages, molting becomes more and more of a difficult feat to pull off, so if you purchase a larger crab it may be too weak to fend off larger predators OR it may run out of energy during the molt which makes them more vulnerable to creatures you would otherwise not have considered a threat before.

I think these Boxer crabs can hold their own very well in larger aquariums, but for the enjoyment of observation I opt for the smaller tanks now :) like I said... my first Pom pom survived a varied aquarium lifestyle. Here are the conditions my first Pom survived

CASE 1: Lived in these conditions for 2.5 years

46 gal bow front

150 lbs liverock

2 inch sand/livesand

1 pair YWG/Tiger Pistol (both were young and under 1" when purchased, by 2.5 yr had maxed their size)

1 anemone with Porcelain crab combo

2 Emerald crabs (no larger than 1")

10 Hermits (evil things)

Plenty of snails variation of margarita, turbo, fighting conch

1 firefish (purchased under 1.25")

1 fireshrimp (small)

1 cleaner shrimp (small)

1 Valentini Puffer (purchased under 1.25" in length, by 2.5 was 2")

1 neon cleaner goby (blue)

CASE 2: Lived in these conditions for 1 year

30 gal nano

75 lbs liverock

1 inch sandbed

Porcelain combo from above

Valentini Puffer from above

8 hermits

all the old snails

all the shrimp

all other life for that aquarium was downgraded... then we sold that setup and I downgraded to

CASE 3: lived here the rest of her life which was about a little over half a year

3 gal mini

2 lb liverock

.5" sandbed

(most of the life in this tank was tiny soft corals and frogspawn.. I had tons of this stuff in my larger setup but never felt it posed any danger to my pom so I didn't list it) essentially she lived out her life in this tiny tank and eventually died of what I assume to be old age, the parameters in this small tank were fine, she was the only creature living there and I hand fed her daily. RIP crab

So anyway that was my side of the story.

Picked up my pompom late last week (about 7 days ago) and so far she has been doing great. Immediatly went for cover and started to build a home/nest

When i feed she will come out, especially if i shoot some food into her "hole"

At night before bed i can see her come out and wave her anemones... very fun create to watch, wish it was out more.

Side Question, If the aneomones are able to survive is it a good sign that I should be able to house a real anemone?

that depends on the type of anemone. Many anemones require bright lighting and stronger currents than those for smaller tanks. Just do a little research before getting anemones. AND remember that the anemone decides where it wants to be so be sure to be ready to deal with it's decision and don't go planning out where you want it to be unless you are prepared for disappointment :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI all, I just picked up two of these beauties. They are drip acclimating right now. Should I quarantine them for a while with my Rainford's Goby in a small tank? Did you guys add them to the tank right away? I'm worried that the nems will die off if I quarantine them since the water volume is less and more susceptible to changes in parameters and pollution.

What are your guy's past methods for introducing them to a new tank? Also how can I sex them? The girl at the store was closing down and told me to check this thread specifically. Is this discussed anywhere here? Id love to have a male and female but won't mind either way since

Female = larger abdomen, found it in the last few posts!

They are prob the coolest things in the tank (or will be in the tank)!

Edited by jphong