SaltCritters.com

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

First thank you for such a fantastic Web site and information resource. I've read and learned a great deal here and wanted to say thanks to everyone.

A quick question / observation. I have been reading a lot about the Lybia tessellata and have not found much information on their territorial behavior. I currently have three of these in a 14 Gallon BioCube for about a week now. Today while one pom pom was feeding another walked by and the one with the food attacked the other pretty aggressively. No damage was done as I separated them with a turkey baster squirt.

Does anyone have information on how territorial they are? As I understand they are aggressive with food but what have you observed as far as just ordinary contact between the same species?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

bevivid_poppom01.jpg

Edited by bevivid
  • 2 months later...
I have two in my 40g cube. Here's one of them.

PomPomCrabMay2909.jpg

Here's belly shots of both..............boys, girls?

newpompomcrabMay2909.jpg

PomPomCrabMay1409.jpg

if sexing them is similar to blue crabs then those are both males

females have wider tail flap thingys to carry eggs while males have little thin ones

• 3 weeks later...
whiteangelbw

Ok, I have read this entire thread. I am wondering what everyone thinks about adding one of these to my 40gal tall seahorse tank that I am setting up. Will they mess with my seahorses. This crab is so cool that I want one. Thanks in advance for any help.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
My pom pom surprised me. I added a small porcelain crab to my tank and the pom pom immediately attacked and killed it.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have a porcelain crab & anemone crab housed with my 3.

MyLittleGremlin
What are everyone's opinions on the genders?

DSC_0133.jpg

I know the gender of one for sure but I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

Two males and one female and in that order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got 2 pom pom at a LFS, awesome lil critter! I turned on the light one day to see both of em wresting / fighting... one win and took the loser's pom pom away (he now have 2), the loser crab didnt have an anemone so..... he substitute it by taking a very small clove polyps colony I had in there as his pom pom!

I will try to post pic of his "anemone" later.

Well this weekend I went to a LFS to meet a reefer for a quick exchange. Walked by the invertebrate tanks and came home with this little guy:

lucy2.jpg

lucy1.jpg

Named him / her Lucy. I don't know why, haha, it was just the first name that popped up as I was driving home. The dang thing is cute as hell so I had to buy it. It just stared at me with it's puppy dog eyes. (Actually it was being blown around in circles in one of those acclimation cups) omgomgomg

Edited by wickeddd
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought my pom pom about 3 weeks ago and love trying to find him in my little 3gal tank. I want to add another one (or two), but I'm wondering if adding more than one will promote competition. I read many posts that many mutli-pom pom crab tanks have one or two crabs with missing anemones.

Has anyone had problems with their pom poms losing their anemones in mutli-crab tanks?

i have a few questions. do the anenomes that come with these guys need the same kind of water quality that normal nems do? could i put two or three of these guys in my 55g or is that too big a tank for them? they are really coo little guys. i have two clowns, a carpenter wrasse, a goby pistol shrimp pair and a cleaner shrimp. does anyone see these guy not getting along with my current inhabitants?

• 2 weeks later...

I got two and they seem to come out very often. One of them came with out any anemones so he grabbed a piece of Xenia plus a Plankton "a live one too, cause I can see it move on his claw still hahaha." The other one came with two red anemones but now is down to one so hopefully it grows and he splits them. I might one more if I can find one with two full size anemones.

IMG00774-20091225-0804.jpg

IMG00772-20091225-0803.jpg

IMG00771-20091225-0803.jpg

IMG00769-20091225-0803.jpg

IMG00758-20091223-0803.jpg

IMG00757-20091223-0752.jpg

• 1 month later...
callmesaul8889

what kind of anemones do these guys carry around? is it just anything they can get their hands on? i got one last night for 5 bucks but he didnt have any anemones, and i dont have any in my tank

Hahaha, wow! This thread is still around? I made it when I was 13 and my 18th birthday was Tuesday... I'm really glad to see that everyone appreciates these things.

I ordered another one for my nano from bluezooaquatics along with some other animals Thursday night.... lo and behold when I got my order on Saturday morning I had everything in the box except the pom pom crab :( has anyone ever had this issue with bluezoo before?

Hello...

Just wanted to show my new Lybia Tesselatta.

Happily it is out, much more than I expected. I see it wandering around, waving its anemones a couple of times a day.

Picture

PomPom.jpg

Video