Top Shelf Aquatics

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

Ocho Cinco

I just got a pom pom crab Thursday. I can't seem to find a straight up answer on what to feed them. What seems to work the best for all of you?

Aliasnumber1

I feed my tank very sparingly, but these guys know exactly where/when the clowns miss a morsel of formula1/2. It's funny when it's in the open sand bed cause the flow is too much for them to leave the rocks.

Ocho Cinco
I feed my tank very sparingly, but these guys know exactly where/when the clowns miss a morsel of formula1/2. It's funny when it's in the open sand bed cause the flow is too much for them to leave the rocks.

Is that a pellet or frozen.

Edited by Ocho Cinco
What kind of frozen? Mysis? Cyclops?

I would feed with Mysis one day and pellet the next. It didnt seemed like he had an issue with either, im sure the Cylops would be fine too.

Ocho Cinco

I fed my tank cyclops tonight and the pom pom crab seemed to LOVE it. He came almost to the front and was waving his "pom poms" around catching them. AWESOME INVERT!!!!

• 3 months later...

My pom pom made an appearance two nights ago, the first I've seen of him in about 3 months. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence but he was getting blown around on the sand and caught himself on a nassarius snail, which served as an anchor and dinner. Anyone else experienced the same thing? I read a thread recently about a pom pom serving a cleaner shrimp.

Edited by Aliasnumber1

I used to enjoy my pom pom and love when he would come out and eat... now he turned into a little terrorist. He killed my shrimp, i saw it. he grabbed him and ate him alive. He also flipped my astrea snail over and ate it too. Saw that whole thing also. I dont know what to do with him cuz i want more inverts but he destroys them. He gets in fights with my emerald crab also but the emerald crab can sort of defend himslef with his claws. Mine is a male and is very aggresive. He attacks my hand if i get near his cave. And he eats everything from pellets to frozen to flakes and unfortunately live inverts...:(

Edited by Nano-Reef-Man

i have 2 Pom Poms, 3 sexy shrimp, 4 blue-leg hermits and 2 red-leg hermits they all get along pretty good with the exception of 1 large blue-leg hermit that thinks all the shells in the tank belong to him. one of my Pom Poms is carrying eggs for the second time

haha lets pit our pom poms off against eachother.

yea i actually see mine try and stalk my pistol from time to time, but i think the pistols cave got buried and the YWG is now in QT so he has been MIA. my pom pom always seems to be plotting evil so i try and keep an eye on him when i can.

see i just dont know about them being able to waste most fish though. my pom pom was totally on a mission to get my pistol, but that means the POM POM would have to get thru my YWG first.

well i saw the POM launch an attack and totally hit my YW several times with the nems and after one flinch it didnt even phase my goby. the pom pom was even rubbin that thing in the gobies eye and he just kinda flicked him off like it was no thang.

i thought for sure there would be death everywhere, but to my surprise (thank GOD) everyone was okay.

just my $.2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, i have a pom pom who is in recovery. I got him in isolation so he can hopefully get his missing legs back. (he had a bad encounter w/ a very bad blenny). I have a rock anemone in there with him. Does anyone know how the rock anemone could affect the pom pom?

Hello to everybody.

I hope i can come to you.

I am Mona from Germany, Hamburg.

I have a 3 gallon Nano tank.

2 sweet Pom pom crabs live in it!

I bought a few month ago 2 crabs and one was fade away after one week.

One week ago i bought a new one.

I didn´t know if it is an male or female...or what, but 2 days after i set im in my tank, the new crab had an big pack of eggs ;)

Now i want to raise them, and hope it will be good.

No other animals live in it, and so no one can eat the larves.

Is here anybody, that even try to raise these funny crabs?

I want to know, how long it takes until the larves come out?

My crab has the eggs about 6 days.

I hope my English isn´t so horrible and you understand what i want to say..

Thank you..

Much Greetings from germany

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if the pom pom crab would be compatible with a longnose hawkfish. I read that the hawk might eat small inverts so I'm guessing its a no but I am wondering on your opinions.

• 2 months later...

Got one of these bad boys and only seen him once since being added. I can't wait till I see him again cause he was so neat looking

I plan to get a pair and put them in my 9 gallon.

They bother sexy shrimp you think?

Wow cool! B) Didn't noe that there's a Pom Pom thread.

Adding mine to share from my tank thread. :happy:

My Pom Pom crab pics :happy: Imo, I not so sure if I gotta feed them, but I never feed mine. Cos I dun even had a chance. Only sees mine once every few months. Maybe it's feeding but I never notice. And yes I hopes mine live a long life :happy:

PomPomcrab03.jpg

PomPomcrab02.jpg

PomPomCrab04.jpg

PomPomcrab01-1.jpg

:happy:

My Dancing Pom Pom Video

Edited by j'field