Coral Vue Hydros

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my recent addition... Man, these guys are beautiful, but hard to get a good picture of!!!

3-27-153.jpg

Of course, they love shaddows. Maybe if you feed the tank with lots of fine particled food, they will come out better for you. They do for me, especially under blue lights.

Of course, they love shaddows. Maybe if you feed the tank with lots of fine particled food, they will come out better for you. They do for me, especially under blue lights.

Thanks... Of course now that I said they are hard to get a picture of, I haven't seen him!!! Seriously, I can't find him!!! My rockwork is NOT that complicated, but I haven't seen him for almost a week. Should I be worried?

Thanks... Of course now that I said they are hard to get a picture of, I haven't seen him!!! Seriously, I can't find him!!! My rockwork is NOT that complicated, but I haven't seen him for almost a week. Should I be worried?

No, you should not be worried, I'm sure he's still around. The are extremely hardy...mine survived my son squirting lotion into my pico! He's probably just found a place on the back of the rocks to hang for food.

I picked up my second pom pom today! My original (female I believe) has only ever had a nub for a pom pom, and only one at that. It's never looked better or worse and I've had her for nearly a year. Went to the LFS today and saw one with two full, beautiful little nems and snatched it right up. He's finally done with acclimation and was just added to the tank. Hopefully he'll 'share' as I've heard they do :happy:

Edited by silverdust
No, you should not be worried, I'm sure he's still around. The are extremely hardy...mine survived my son squirting lotion into my pico! He's probably just found a place on the back of the rocks to hang for food.

I picked up my second pom pom today! My original (female I believe) has only ever had a nub for a pom pom, and only one at that. It's never looked better or worse and I've had her for nearly a year. Went to the LFS today and saw one with two full, beautiful little nems and snatched it right up. He's finally done with acclimation and was just added to the tank. Hopefully he'll 'share' as I've heard they do :happy:

Thanks for the quick reply! I just always worry when I can't find someone in my tank! I know... damn noob!!! :huh:

Congrats on the second one! I plan on adding a second one at some point!

Let's see some pics of it!!! ;)

I just saw mine for the first time in over a month last night. Its a surprise now everytime I see him. He did not have any pom poms though.

Do you think he will be able to still get food?

It'll be a while before it settles in enough for me to get a pic. This is the crab I've had for a while. The best pic I've ever gotten of her (crappy camera + crab that hates faces = terrible pictures lol).

307519118.jpg

I just saw mine for the first time in over a month last night. Its a surprise now everytime I see him. He did not have any pom poms though.

Do you think he will be able to still get food?

He'll be fine. Mine loves to run out and snatch pellets when the opportunity arises.

Edited by silverdust

I saw my pom pom today. He is missing both his pom poms. He came out of the rock when I fed mysis so I decided to give him a piece of crab bites with the tweezers and he jumped on the tweezers and grabbed the food like he was starving. Hes still munching on the crab bite but he will be one happy crab.

This is my first feeding. Hopefully I can get better pics when I get a new camara.

IMG_0621.jpg

Update...

I found him after all... I was a little worried! Of course, he was right in the FRONT of the tank, just blends in well I guess!!! :huh:

He has been in the tank about two weeks now, and already molted once, and he got his second pom pom!!!

Four-Nine-OhEight014.jpg

Now he just needs a companion!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if an emerald crab, or a porcelin crab will get along with the pom-pom crabs? I would like to pickup a pair of pom poms, but I already have an emerald and porcelin in my 29g. I would be willing to get rid of the emerald crab!

noobofreefs

I have a pair of emeralds in my tank with my pom-pom and they don't bother each other. The pom-pom hides during the day and the emeralds have their own little spots. Everything seems happy for now...

NOR

Here is one of mine, I picked up two last night. They are just soooo small I figured I might loose one somewhere... Their bodies are no bigger than a dime, super small! Hes also only got 1 anenome, so hopefully it will split.

2439357025_c80729bfcb_o.jpg

Edited by Todesengel
Here is one of mine, I picked up too last night. They are just soooo small I figured I might loose one somewhere... Their bodies are no bigger than a dime, super small! Hes also only got 1 anenome, so hopefully it will split.

2439357025_c80729bfcb_o.jpg

Very nice!

I bought mine with only one nem as well... But he had two in about two weeks!

I need to pick up a second one soon!

So i came home to a very sad scene. My pom pom crab, being eaten by a nassarius snail. And i double checked, it was the real crab, not a molt. The acutal crab was half eaten, and left on the sandbed, and the snail just went on its merry way. The molt is sitting on the back of the tank, with BOTH nems still on it. I cant imagine the crab was actaully eaten alive, but that the crab had alredy died. Anyone have any ideas?

I just got two pom-pom's today and I am really excited, these are so cool. Here are some pics of the new additions, Willie and Marge:

Willie has white nems and Marge has red nems.

IMG_2676.jpg

Here is Marge, who ran for the shadows once introduced into the tank.

IMG_2653.jpg

Here is Willie, who doesn't seem to be shy at all.

IMG_2682.jpg

Another shot of Willie waving his "poms" around.

IMG_2692.jpg

So i came home to a very sad scene. My pom pom crab, being eaten by a nassarius snail. And i double checked, it was the real crab, not a molt. The acutal crab was half eaten, and left on the sandbed, and the snail just went on its merry way. The molt is sitting on the back of the tank, with BOTH nems still on it. I cant imagine the crab was actaully eaten alive, but that the crab had alredy died. Anyone have any ideas?

i bet the crab died and the nass' were cleaning up. i don't think they eat live stuff.

Jason McK

I just got 2 pom poms about a week ago and they're really amusing to watch. Both come out at dinner time and wave their little pom poms around, they look like they're trying to be tough guys :lol: Each one has 2 anenome's, hopefully they'll keep them

Thanks to this thread for introducing me to these great creatures!