Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

I have a pompom in my 24AP. He was in my 44g up until about 2 months ago when I decided to downsize to the AP. I made sure to make plenty of little nooks and crannies and caves for him to hide and lurk, when I was aquascaping the new nano. It came out pretty good actually! He still is a shy little bugger but every once in a while he just comes right out and crawls all over like he owns the place! Not even shyly, just like, "OK MOVE OVER GUYS" while waving his poms, haha

Anyway, Heres a recent pic of him in the nano below.

His friends are:

clown, diamond goby

(Previously he was with a mandarin and a fuzzy dwarf- the fuzzy never ate him, and never TRIED)

CUC:

various hermits: plains and scarlets, snails, nass snails, nudibranch

Corals:

(Im on PCs)

zoas, yumas, , cany cane, pom zenia, duncan, dendros

Special 'Verts

-RBTA, tube anemone

I had my LFS order him and he was $12. Im gonna get a FEW more because they are wonderful little critters. Ive had mine for about 6 months. Ive never seen him eat. Ive seen him swoosh his little poms, but Im not sure about what it looks like when he eats, he is a little bit of a closet eater

IMG_9975.jpg

Edited by Dragonette
  • Like 1

I've seen mine "clean" his anemones after feeding the tank with Coral Frenzy. So that's where I think he's getting his nutrition from. Also I do spot feed some corals with Mysis so he might be grabbing leftovers.

I'd like to get a few more also. But getting them IN is the problem. Order 6 and get 0.

I have been thinking of getting one too, would it be okay with a cleaner shrimp?

These crabs are listed on Ebay for 9.99 from Exotic Aquatics and Pets, and I have bought most of my cuc/fish from this seller. Very good packing and always been happy with their stuff! Good communication also.

Cute pic, Dragonette!

I have seen mine feed very much like other crabs...it comes out for Cyclopeeze and will also grab onto any sinking pellets it comes across. And all the while, of course, it is swishing its 'nems back and forth.

I have often observed that is seems to be able to sense food with its feet. When it is roaming around I have often seen it encounter a pellet with its walking legs and immediately gather it in to eat. I have a vid that captures that behavior and I'll try to find it and post it some time.

RedSeaGal--sounds like a great deal!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw mine again after 2 weeks of hiding. Scary thing, my emerald crab has gotten HUGE, like 3 times the size when I got him. Will he bother the pompom if he finds him? Plenty of algae in the tank (unfortunately) and lots of places for the pompom to hide. I'm just worried because one of the emerald's claws is about the size of the whole pompom....

I just saw mine again after 2 weeks of hiding. Scary thing, my emerald crab has gotten HUGE, like 3 times the size when I got him. Will he bother the pompom if he finds him? Plenty of algae in the tank (unfortunately) and lots of places for the pompom to hide. I'm just worried because one of the emerald's claws is about the size of the whole pompom....

Ok, now I want one, probably two. I'm glad that I read the thread, because now I know that they would be ok in my tank. (And I really need to add something besides coral.)

Question:

When most people buy them, how big are they usually? From the pictures, it looks like they're smaller than a pennny. And around how big is full grown?

Thanks!

It was so hard being patient but we finally picked up our pom-pom a couple days ago. I would take pictures but he hangs out in the middle of the rock pile where I can't see him very well.

He's a bigger one so I know he isn't going to live as long as a small one. I will get one of the tiny guys once I'm sure my guy - Sugar Ray - is thriving.

He waved his pom poms at me this morning when I got too close trying to feed him. I love this little guy!!!!!!!

Edited by pompom
HeyLookItsCaps

mine never bothered eachother in the least. pom pom = night, cleaner = day. plus they have more important things to do like cheerlead and be the tank maid

I don't think they'll have any problems. Emeralds just want to eat (so make sure he's not starving! :D).

Ok, now I want one, probably two. I'm glad that I read the thread, because now I know that they would be ok in my tank. (And I really need to add something besides coral.)

Question:

When most people buy them, how big are they usually? From the pictures, it looks like they're smaller than a pennny. And around how big is full grown?

Thanks!

I got mine almost 2 year ago (23 months) and she was very tiny. I don't believe she has grown much if at all since then; I do think that in some crabs, males get larger than females.

Here are some pics of an early molt she had that was pretty intact, so I saved it in alcohol. As you can see, her carapace is about 3/8" at the widest, or ~1.2cm.

dscn0555irfanas7.jpg

dscn0558irfanee0.jpg

mine never bothered eachother in the least. pom pom = night, cleaner = day. plus they have more important things to do like cheerlead and be the tank maid

LOL! Hey, let's see some pics of yours with the duster!

--Diane

ya tihnk a chalk basslet or a yellow assessor would eat a pom pom crab???

I don't know much about the basslet but the assesor should be fine in nature they are planktivores.

Ok I have a question: i plan on getting one down the road in my ap24, how many could i have? I want three.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I just got my first Pom Pom yesterday. It was the only one at the fish store that still had it's nems, but it has some green hair-looking algae stuff on some of its appendages. Is this normal? Did he decorate himself?

Thanks,

CL

i couldnt resist any longer and picked up two of these guys last week. :lol:

i have them in a tnak w/ a peppermint and skunk cleaner shrimp. no problems that i have noticed so far. they are my favorites by far.

I don't know much about the basslet but the assesor should be fine in nature they are planktivores.

Ok I have a question: i plan on getting one down the road in my ap24, how many could i have? I want three.

Three should be fine. :)

Hey all,

I just got my first Pom Pom yesterday. It was the only one at the fish store that still had it's nems, but it has some green hair-looking algae stuff on some of its appendages. Is this normal? Did he decorate himself?

Thanks,

CL

I've never seen that, but I've sure seen algae on my emeralds, snails, etc. I suspect it will disappear with the first molt. :)

just got on yesterday as well. he didn't have any anemones with him, but i'll update if he decides to use anything else.

i couldnt resist any longer and picked up two of these guys last week. :lol:

i have them in a tnak w/ a peppermint and skunk cleaner shrimp. no problems that i have noticed so far. they are my favorites by far.

Congrats you two!

dscn7163croppedirfansm6.jpg

--Diane

Three should be fine. :)

I've never seen that, but I've sure seen algae on my emeralds, snails, etc. I suspect it will disappear with the first molt. :)

Congrats you two!

dscn7163croppedirfansm6.jpg

--Diane

will these things get eaten by a yasha? or get along with sexy shrimp for that matter?

thinking of having a few of these with a Yasha, assessor, and a Firefish. in an Ap24.

stocekd with softies and rics and a few lps. (acans) will nems bother anything? and

what will eat pom pom crabs?

These guys are tiny but tough. Tough, but not agressive. I've never had a problem with the nems stinging anything and tonight I was just reviewing a vid of mine clambering all over shrooms & rics and none of them even reacted to the crab.

I have no idea what would eat them. :D

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...
mine still is naked. in terms of anemones.

Maybe you have no suitable substitutes in your tank! :) You know, you can easily keep more than one. If you find one with nems to add, I'll bet eventually they'll end up "sharing."

--Diane