Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

I want to culture them now.

Would that be possible?

I can just imagine a pico dominated by these.

I doubt it. My two crabs have dropped several of their anemones, I'm pretty sure I would have seen them growing/splitting somewhere by now.

But hey, anything is possible.

I doubt it. My two crabs have dropped several of their anemones, I'm pretty sure I would have seen them growing/splitting somewhere by now.

But hey, anything is possible.

It will be added to my ever-growing bucket list.

:D

I want to culture them now.

Would that be possible?

I can just imagine a pico dominated by these.

My best guess is that you will have to find one that already has some growing on it as I don't know of anyone selling those anemones by themselves .. at least have not found one that does

albertthiel said:
My best guess is that you will have to find one that already has some growing on it as I don't know of anyone selling those anemones by themselves .. at least have not found one that does

Me neither :(

Now, this is evil, and I could never bring myself to do it, but-

What if you took a Pom Pom Crab and broke off the arm with the anemone attached? From the stuff I google about the anemones it makes them sound very easy to care for and you could just superglue the arm in place somewhere.

Just a thought, no one flame me for encouraging animal cruelty, etc please- that's not what I'm trying to do.

Me neither :(

Now, this is pretty evil, and I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it, but-

What if you took a Pom Pom Crab and broke off the arm with the anemone attached? From the stuff I google about the anemones it makes them sound very easy to care for and you could just superglue the arm in place somewhere.

Just a thought, no one flame me for encouraging animal cruelty, etc please- that's not what I'm trying to do.

ooooh nooooo

albertthiel said:
ooooh nooooo

Well, it could be the only way to possibly attain these anemones without living where they grow or convincing someone to collect them for you.

And I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I almost didn't post that last comment, because of responses like yours, but I decided to do so simply to share my idea.

Like I said, I wouldn't ever do something like this, but I think my idea needed to shared regardless of the controversy surrounding it.

Frankly, the little bastards drop them all the time when the molt. They just wait til the anemone grows and cut it in half and then they have two. They just hide so much you'd never know when they molt!

Gave in and got one...the store I work at had 3 left but only one had both both nems and happened to be berried so I guess I got some free coral food too lol

My tank is going to be without fish for about 2-3 months while I wait out this Amyloodinium infestation that cleared out my fish family...so bring on the fun inverts while I wait lol

Joe

I just got 2 pom pom crabs. They are still hiding but I am able to find them both with a flashlight at night. They sure are roaming the whole tank! They both had anemones when I got them, but one seems to have lost one now. They will sometimes split their nems. They also did not seem friendly to each other so likely to be of the same sex. oh well.

Pompoms are interesting. I currently have two (I think). I have one that I just put in my Biocube 8 & haven't seen since. Granted, the rockwork makes it extremely hard to locate anything small & cryptic by nature.

On the other hand, there's Amanda. She lives in my 2g Spec. She came with only one claw & one nem. At her first molt, the arm grew back & she then split her nem. She's also out a lot of the time. She has a lair, but she'll often come out. Again this is a tank that features nps, like the tank that had Armand, my first pompom, & he was also always out. Amanda has a mean streak though. She grabbed my Randal's pistol shrimp during a feeding & wouldn't let go. Wrapped about 2 pairs of legs around him & he started clicking away. She then carried him to her lair under the rock. :o I had to separate them. Not sure if she could've done much damage, but the move surprised me a lot. The pistol was very surprised too.

I've had mine for years now. Female is somewhere around 4 years old and the male coming to 2. Great little crabs. They have both learned when feeding time is as they come flying out of the rocks to feed. The nems are huge and always grabbing food out of the water column. They mate every so often and the female has her eggs every few weeks.

:happy:

1caf979b.jpg

2c2aaf1f.jpg

jedimasterben

I haven't seen mine in many weeks now. I used to see them every day for my largest feeding, but now they are nowhere to be found. That, and my pistol shrimp killed one before it kicked the bucket. :/

I've had mine for years now. Female is somewhere around 4 years old and the male coming to 2. Great little crabs. They have both learned when feeding time is as they come flying out of the rocks to feed. The nems are huge and always grabbing food out of the water column. They mate every so often and the female has her eggs every few weeks.

:happy:

Great looking David

So excited that my LFS got in about a dozen pom pom crabs yesterday. I'm picking up 2 today after work. 5 o'clock can never come sooner!!!!

Good for you ... wish mine got them in too but I have no seen any for some time ... :-(

So what exactly is everyone feeding their pom pom's as far as meaty food goes? I tried to pick up some mini mysis yesterday but the LFS said the company just moved and isn't sending out any product at the moment....