Coral Vue Hydros

koden's 32gallon m-tank

kinetic

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hrm, a week or two into you just sprayin the food in the tank it will soon realize when somethin comes in the tank food will come out. How are you feedin your food anyway? I fed mine with a turkey baster

i just sprinkle it above my return pump outlet and it shoots the food everywhere, then the food slowly drifts around until it hits the nozzle again, and then it just goes in a cycle until it's eaten or goes into my overflow.

So my skunk shrimp is finally out in the front, but only because the moonlight kicked in after the actinic went out. Should I feed it now that it's out? I don't want the thing to die =(

Also my ocellaris pair seem to love the corner of my tank. They're constantly wiggling around it, and don't stray far. Could they have hosted the corner of the tank? O.o

I also have a 780 GPH return pump, as you all know from my previous posts, is it too strong for these fishies? Can they even SLEEP with that much current? I believe they came from a tank with much more current. I think they might be smashed against the glass unless they swim for their lives. They're always in the opposit corner from the return pump, though at that point I think the flow curves around towards the return nozzle again. I'm worried they'll never get to rest?

Also 2 of my trochus snails went flying today. Somehow, in one night, they cleaned 2 weeks worth of algae growth from the Live rock, and some from the acrylic walls. There was one patch, on LR directly in front of the return pump nozzle, that was untouched. (what a contrast). 4 of my trochus went for it, climbing it, trying to get to all the algae. Getting there, their shells were shaking under the current. finally 3 of them made it to the patch of algae, and it looked liek their shells were about to fly off their backs. one of them turned away and gave up. So then one of the snails crawls on top of the other one for some reason, and then, WOOOOSH they went flying. One hit a ledge of LR and fell to the sand, the other went straight into the back behind the rocks. It was nuts. Fun to watch though. THey were fine, they got back up and went for that rock again. Good fellows.

I think they finally took a rest last night. The larger clown sorta floated around, and when it touched the sand it wiggled up a bit, then drifted down. the little guy was swimming around on top and moved a lot more, but sometimes stopped moving for awhile.

they're always hungry, i fed them twice in a day. is that bad? all the food floats around, hopefully my skunk will pick them up.

will my clowns host a hammer coral?

Ive heard they will -- but some say it irratates the corals and they close.

Im gonna try it in the near future

Glad yu decided against anemone-- tank needs to mature minimium 6 months for them to do well. I would love a RBTA but im afraid my overflow and anemone would be water on the floor.

Be careful on the feeding -- to much can be bad--

My LR has matured a little more than yours and can help support my 3 fish (2 TR percs and one blue croma) for day and sometimes 2. Normally I feed everyother day-- sometimes Ill skip 2 days then feed..... Just my 0.02

If your ever wanted some frozen fish food -- try some cyclopeeze-- I even feed my corals once to twice a week with this. The fishloveit-just mix with small amount of tank water -- Turn off pumps, target feed anything yu like :)

Izzue

I think I'm going to drill my tank to install my scwd and my spraybar... but I already have fish. I didn't think I'd drill but now that I tried to install, it just won't work without. What do you recommend me do? Should I remove the fish and catch the acrylic somehow?

dont know for sure--did mine before restocked-- actually LFS drilled for me-- then I plummed.

YOu probable could drop the water level low remove some of the top LR and put this in a clean cooler. Have someone help ya and try to catch the shaving.

FYI--LFS said that back wall was a b t h to drill--lol -- and he had all the nice equipment for drilling tanks (glass or acrylic) and it was empty :rant:

Plan well

Izzue

an acrylic tank is easy as hell a powr drill and hole saw. its not hard you should be able to do it with your fish in it, cover your water with saran wrap(sp") and go for it. there are tons of guys in the bay that would help ya do this, if i still lived there id do it for ya

I agree SLOreefer-- acrylic is easy to drill

Just on M-tanks -- I believe it takes some kind of angle bits to get the hole drilled close to the top where it needs to be drilled due to the acrylic lid welded on tank.

Wish I had been their when he drilled to see why he said it was tuff-- He also had to bore out the original return hole to fit bulkheads in.

He didnt charge me anything :D that was nice

Izzue

I agree SLOreefer-- acrylic is easy to drill

Just on M-tanks -- I believe it takes some kind of angle bits to get the hole drilled close to the top where it needs to be drilled due to the acrylic lid welded on tank.

Wish I had been their when he drilled to see why he said it was tuff-- He also had to bore out the original return hole to fit bulkheads in.

He didnt charge me anything :D that was nice

Izzue

It wasn't too tough to work on the tank other then having to maneuver a bit. I bored out my original return to fit a 1/2" pvc through it. Too bad I wasn't paying attention and now have a nice 1/4" burr mark on the top of the tank by the back wall.

I'll get some pics up for you guys... once I get the acrylic to build the refuge where the stock rain trays were.

Mods so far:

-Quiet One 3000 pump

-1/2" pvc return pipe with spray bar and hydor flow

In progress:

-Custom refuge, in place of rain tray's

-false rock to house SEIO 620

By the way I'm big into cars as well. I won't buy another car unless its capable of 500+ rwhp from the factory or with some work ever again.

Kidphc

Did you do that drilling on the M-tank 32 gal or the 18 gal

I was speaking about the 18 gal tank

I should have made that clear 1st---sorry

Izzue

Kidphc

Did you do that drilling on the M-tank 32 gal or the 18 gal

I was speaking about the 18 gal tank

I should have made that clear 1st---sorry

Izzue

It was a 32 gallon M-tank. I can imagine the 18 gallon being a real PITA.

Kidphc

Welcome to the M-tank crew-- cant wait to see some pics

sounds like you have a good game plan.

One question about the Seio 620-- is that gonna be in the main tank???

What are you gonna do with power cord???

I had one in my 18 gal -- nice flow but looked aweful along with the power cord coming out of the top of the tank--- IMO

Izzue

One question about the Seio 620-- is that gonna be in the main tank???

What are you gonna do with power cord???

I had one in my 18 gal -- nice flow but looked aweful along with the power cord coming out of the top of the tank--- IMO

Izzue

The Seio is going to be in the main tank. It is going in against the back wall somewhere. I'm going to try and hide it a bit with the some of the live rock. I won't know how it will finally look till I get some live rock in it. Originally, it was going to go in the lower left front of the tank. Till my wife asked how I planned on powering it.

I bought a powersweep 214 (cost $11) in the hopes of getting some random flow, that is still a bit adjustable, through the tank with out a SCWD. I'm only going this route cause my wife's nano cube has some disturbing dead areas.

FYI

The old Seio 620 cannot be used with wavemaker device-- I think they are coming out with a new one that will

Something about the electrical makes the pump go reverse if it is started and stoped often--- I may be wrong do some searching on it 1st

I knew that the SEIO's couldn't be used with a wave makers. Didn't know that they are working on a new one. Thanks for the info.

I was planning on aiming the Seio in the general direction towards the Hydor Flow and when the streams met getting some turbulent random flow.

kID

That sounds good :)

Sounds like you are in mod mode right now--- I just installed a SCWD on mine--much better than laminate flow-- but 2 crashing sounds good

You might want to look into a SCWD-- just need to be installed so you can maintain

Check out ONce in a lifetime Nano under member section-- BHP as done I very nice run down of mods on the 18 gal M-tank

I saw a new 20 gal M-tank this weekend-- NIce--made in the USA

The 18 and older 32 where made in China

Izzue

I've been talking to Ken at Finnex, and here are some updates:

They are working on a dual 150 watt HQI for the M-Tank, though he's not sure if it's a good setup for the tank. IMO it's too much. My 70 watt hqi is already really strong with the actinic 55watt pc too. I told him that beginners and some intermediate hobbyists would find it too much, though perhaps advanced hobbyists would love it. I have a 250watt hqi pendant that i tried, and it flooded my entire living room, it was too distracting, and I had to use the stock lighting system instead. Now with 70watt hqi it's perfect, the dual 150watt will be overkill. What do you guys think?

There is also going to be lighting fixture leg raisers, basically he's making adapters that will raise the fixture up, about 4" to 5"'s or so. That will help reduce heat issues with hqi fixtures, and give you more clearance to work on the tank with, so you might not need to take the fixture off for less demanding tasks. (i have to always take the fixture off to do things.

I'm getting a set of leg adapters as soon as he gets them finished (couple of days) and I'll let everyone know how that goes.

kidphc: can't wait to see pictures! good choice on the return pump. where are you getting acrylic for the fuge? What are your specs? I am thinking of doing the same. Please advise! thanks!! (pictures!! =)

izzue/kidphc/sloreefer: I will probably get the right drill bits and try to increase the stock output hole, install a scwd, etc. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm getting a set of leg adapters as soon as he gets them finished (couple of days) and I'll let everyone know how that goes.

I hope they come up with a new light. I hate the idea of doing a retro for the lighting, and is it me or is finding a 30" light a pain. Maybe a light that you can upgrade the ballast and the bulb as you see fit as a supported configuration from Finnex, that one would make me happy.

Tell Finnex to design the lights with a Z hinge or something on that lines. I would love the idea of tilting the light to be able to access the back or the viewing area easier. Rather then having a few inches of clearance. If they have to make it removable they need to make the legs a bit sturdier and a bit more adjustable (so that they actually fit on the hood with the locking screws. My tank seems to not be built as well as I had expected. I'll post my gripes when I get the tank pictures up.

kidphc: can't wait to see pictures! good choice on the return pump.

That one came from read this post, and doing follow up research. So thanks.

where are you getting acrylic for the fuge? What are your specs? I am thinking of doing the same. Please advise! thanks!! (pictures!! =)

As far as the acrylic, I plan on having the whole fuge partially suspended while still using the legs that were glued into the tank for the tray. So I'm looking at 1/4 acrylic. It will be more like a 3/4 inch box with drop ledges to stop splashing and allow a quick removal for maitenance. I toyed with the idea of putting in some pvc pipe in the bottom to allow some overflow from the fuge to the pump, or to act as pod escape route. Once I get the design finalized I'll patent it and sell it to Finnex for more stuff. :)

I'm looking at the following two companies for the acrylic.

US Plastics or a local company Reed Plastics.

izzue/kidphc/sloreefer: I will probably get the right drill bits and try to increase the stock output hole, install a scwd, etc. I'll let you know how it goes!

I used a dremel with the round sanding bit. It fit into the return hole with a little love and with the tool off. Turn the tool on sanded a bit. Then turned it back off to inspect. Go real slow, or it'll jump out like mine did and put a nice ding in the tank top.

I hope they come up with a new light. I hate the idea of doing a retro for the lighting, and is it me or is finding a 30" light a pain. Maybe a light that you can upgrade the ballast and the bulb as you see fit as a supported configuration from Finnex, that one would make me happy.

Tell Finnex to design the lights with a Z hinge or something on that lines. I would love the idea of tilting the light to be able to access the back or the viewing area easier. Rather then having a few inches of clearance. If they have to make it removable they need to make the legs a bit sturdier and a bit more adjustable (so that they actually fit on the hood with the locking screws. My tank seems to not be built as well as I had expected. I'll post my gripes when I get the tank pictures up.

They have many light fixtures already. Checkout finnex.net in their lighting section, there are a bunch of different options. ours are the Xl series. Also the metal halide option for 32 gallon is coming, though retrofitting was easy and quite fun. You should look into it. I couldn't be happier, retrofitting my 70 watt metal halide h.q.i 14k astralux lamp.

My legs are very sturdy and fit perfectly under the lighting fixture. It's really adjustable too. How are you setting yours up?

They have many light fixtures already. Checkout finnex.net in their lighting section, there are a bunch of different options. ours are the Xl series. Also the metal halide option for 32 gallon is coming, though retrofitting was easy and quite fun. You should look into it. I couldn't be happier, retrofitting my 70 watt metal halide h.q.i 14k astralux lamp.

My legs are very sturdy and fit perfectly under the lighting fixture. It's really adjustable too. How are you setting yours up?

I'll look at their other lights. Thanks for the information.

I slid the acrylic legs into the fixture per the directions. Unfortunately, once the light is on the tank the tabs with the locking screws stick out past the light cabinet on both sides. If I user the inner mount the legs just follow out of the canopy. the left side of the tank looks like it was cut a bit off for the mounting slots. The leg hangs about 1/4 off of the side. Of course I didn't realize this till I started modding. whoops.

Wow! I have really enjoyed this thread. I just spent more time than I should have reading it here at work. ;)

My wife and I have been freshwater aquarists for a few years and are considering a venture in to saltwater. I too have been looking at the 32 gallon M-Tank. It looks like a good start for a beginner such as myself.

Koden, your journal has definitely been an inspiration. I look forward to checking back often. I also look forward to beginning my trek into this awesome hobby.

Troy

Archived