Pod Your Reef

Quarantine Tank and LR?

jburke30

Greetings All,

I've started to stress on this quarantine tank issues now that I've settled the freshwater fish bath. =)

My question is can (or should) I put live rock in my 7 gallon mini-bow tank if I'm going to use it as a quarantine tank for new arrivals. I wouldn't plan on using medication in this tank, but it would be something of a second home for problem and new fish.

Personally, I don't see any reason not to since I keep reading that disease microbes are present in pretty much all aquariums, and it would seem that the addition of LR would make the tank more stable and comfortable for fish. Also, it would be a great for LR propagation/growth. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks,

Jason

There's no compelling reason not to add the LR.  It *is* possible that the live rock carry with it diseases, especially in the parasite category.  However, since it's not going to be the permanent home for any animals, with any luck, such things will die off within a few weeks without any host to bother.

Either way, it should be at least as friendly as the main aquarium.  The additional biological filtration from the liverock is a nice perk.  Just remember that when there are ammonia-producing substances in the tank (fish, food, etc.), it will need weekly water changes still.

Archived