Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Day of many questions- Why is my snail trying to eat my crab?

Kendra

OK. . . I have 2 blue legged hermits and 3 turbo snails. One of the hermits is very small, about half the size of the snails. On the day after I got them (5 days ago), I found one of the turbos engulfing the shell of the crab. I pried him off. The crab, after that, retreated all the way up one of the silicone seals at the edge of the tank and hung out just under the water line. I was getting a little worried because he hadn't come down to forage, but his antennae and legs moved around, so I thought he would probably come down when he got hungry. Just now, I found the same damn turbo trying to eat him again up in his little hiding place. What is up? Is this at all normal?

Thanks, Kendra

Snails of the World UNITE! Avenge the savage cruelties inflicted upon us by hermit crabs for the last 4 trillion years! Vengance shall be ours!!!

:P

Maybe your hermit's got some tasty vittles on it's shell. Maybe it's turbo mating season and this guy's not had success with the ladies of his species.

I would probably say the snail was just "cleaning off his shell".

You were lucky and happened to catch it. Wait till you find your snails dead with no witness around but the erie sound of clicking coming from your rock. Then "you" will be scared, be very very scared.

leslr.

Wait till you find your snails dead with no witness around but the erie sound of clicking coming from your rock.

I think I'm going to have nightmares about this tonight

Well thats a bit of a relief- I thought I had spawned the worlds first carnivorous turbo. Still wish my crab would come down and start acting normal though. . .

Thanks, Kendra

Archived