Innovative Marine Aquariums

newbie advice sought

Orange Crush

OK, here goes. I've done lots of research, used the search button thoroughly, and have decided pretty much what I want, but I still have a few q's and would love any advice.

Here's what Santa will hopefully be bringing yours truly in (wow) less than a week:

7 gal minibow (thought of going 10 for the cost, but these are just too pretty. Plus, Santa's paying, not me)

32W csl smartlite retrofit

Whisper HOB filter (comes with the minibow...not sure of the size.)

50W heater

Thinking of ~10-12# each LR/LS. Don't know from where though. LFS has some crappy looking stuff for $8/#. Guess they charge so much cause nobody buys it and it's taking up space in their tanks?

Will I want an additional powerhead for circulation, or will the HOB be enough?

From what I've seen, a skimmer doesn't really seem necessary? Or is this something I should add to my birthday list? :)

I plan to focus on softies - zoos, xenia and green star polyps are what I'm looking at to begin with after cycling. Eventually I'd like to add a shrimp and a perc (I've got a thing for these cutie little fishies) and some kind of clean up crew. Perhaps they'll do my dishes as well?

OK, I think that is all. It will likely be a few weeks yet before I begin setup, so if I'm doing anything dumb or missing anything, please let me know. This will be my first reef (currently I have a 20g FO) and I really don't want to kill anything.

Orange,

Don't see a lot of flaws there...sounds good. BTW--Enjoying this day of spring we're getting in NY? (Thursday 19) I'm in Niagara Falls. You may also want to check out the Upstate Reef Society (they have a Forum at ReefCentral and a website)..they have meetings usually once/month and they're very friendly. They trade/sell frags for next to nothing, always looking to help out a newbie...they helped me get mine up and running. Good folks all around.

HTH...

PS--If you can make the drive to Syracuse, check out The Reef Shoppe...from what I've heard from some of the Upstate members..its one of the best in the Northeast...they have great LR also.

I have had my nano set up for about 2 months now, just added some shrooms and green star polyps and both are doing great.

I have a 21 gal with no skimmer and all I do a 10% h20 change, weekly. From what I have gathered, as long as I do the h20 changes, no skimmer is needed. So far, this is working great and recommend it.

HTH

Archived