Pod Your Reef

What Seahorses

Snoop

Brine are useless after about two to three days from hatching. Once they turn clear--meaning their orange yolk sac has been eaten up--they're nutritionally void. Still, culturing them for your clown may be good practice to see if you're up to it.

Note: I don't mean to come off as condescending with the "hons"...I just do that.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need some ideas for my 29 bow. I am getting a clam for it thats the only thing for sure but dont worry about light because I am spanken you with 250 watts. I got a five for one uniuqe critter

Mantises are super-easy. Most aren't dangerous at all, actually. The main toughie is the peacock mantis, which is extremely strong. (No glass or thin-acrylic tanks for these guys!) And they CAN crack open your finger. But get a spearer species (like those solid yellows, if you can find one) or a smaller smasher species and it shouldn't be a problem. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-03/...ature/index.php and http://blueboard.rimlife.com/mantis/ are great resources.

Eels are cool, too, and easy to keep. Zebras (the stout-faced ones, not the wolfy ones with long snouts and needle teeth) and snowflakes, as well as snake eels, are smallish. Hmm... I take it back, though... Not for a 29.

Pipefish are pretty much the same as seahorses. How about an angler or two? Sargassum anglers are cool and not as expensive as the colorful wartskins. Or a tassled filefish, though it'll outgrow a 29 as well. Try looking around; there are many cool fish that are still fish. (I'd suggest various invertebrates like octopus and other cephalopods, but they're quite difficult as well, requiring a seasoned keeper.)

Cool, didn't. Can't find it, now that I'm actually checking for it.

I like their little "Panda clown goby". Nuts-o color variant.

Damn, the wartskin anglers have gone up in price again. (They haven't had a white angler for two years, btw... I'm on their list.) Why even have them on the website?

Snoop, Pipefish and dwarf seahorse requirements go hand in hand.

THey live side by side on the sea floor homey. I have also been keeping them for some years as well.

SAME feeding regimen.

Infact I house two of tem right now in my 5.5g with my other dwarf seahorses. I TAKE THAT BACK! CERTAIN SPIECIES can be housed and reqire the same feedings as drwarves. But not all. Some stay small and some get to a foot long. DEciphering species in young pipefish is vertualy impossible too.

Calvin, you can do 20 plus thier fry in a 5.5g easily.

The reason for keeping dwarves in a small tank (and why it is recomended by experts round the glob) is the way they feed.

Most dwarf seahorses WIL NOT swimm after thier food like hipocampus R and many other species do. THey sit in one spot and eye thier food for ever before they strike. THey are incredibly lazy fish and incredibly finicky.

once in a great while you will see some young ones playing in the current near the surface swimming around, but not very often.

It is the amount of brine you must feed them that makes a small tank ideal for them. They are lazy so you have to releas an incredible amount o fbrin ein there for them to feed on, in one feeding.

the larger the tank the larger amont you have to release, the greater the water volume the greater the chance they will never find thier food, the greater the number of brine released the greater chance of fouling the water and killing the inhabitants.

Dwarves are also unlike any other seahorse , in that they do not swim up and down, or rather dont care to. The normal ideal seahorse tank for any species would be the taller the tank the better. But not for a dwarf, because they spend as litle time actualy moving as possible LOL!]

one last thing for you to consider before you try keeping any type of eel snoop.....

YOU MUST have the entire top of your tank covered and locked DOWN!

If not when the lights go off they will find away out and be laying on your carpet while you sleep. They will eat any fish or crustacean they can fit into thier mouth, and last but not least the only eels of the moray species that stay small are snow fake eels, goled tailed moray eels, and ribbon eels which are EXTREMELY HARD to rear.

All of those species stay well under 2 feet in length for the most part.

Yeah, ribbon eels get to three feet but barely thicker than your finger...But they're a BIG no-no, virtually impossible to keep for extended periods of time...even if you *do* get them to eat.

You are totally aginst horses arent you well I got some reseraech to do but I got like a Month to decide wich ever way I decid I am going to build it like a horse tank

Snoop....NO FUGE DUDE! place the macro DIRECTLY in your dwarf tank.

BUT, MAKE SURE YOU GET A FAIRLY CONTROLABLE SPECIES OF MACRO AND A FAIRLY SLOW GROWING SPICES TOO!

I have real yno tim espent on the tanks save for top off water each day and feedings. I keep snails ( astreas for the glass and mud welk for the sand) inthier with them and they do an outstanding job!

I would only do 4 astreas and 3 mud welk or similair sand sifting snails though. NO STAR FISH! NO REEF CRITTERS BUT SNAILS! NO CRABS AND ABSOLUTLY NO CORALS OF ANY KIND PERIOD.

For you snoop......I would only go with 3 or 4 to start. DO NOT BUY THEM ONE AT A TIME!!! Tey will die on you in less than a week regaurdless how well you keep them if they are alone. They are VERY social animals in thier own click and NEED the reasurance of companions to survive.

SERIOUSLY!

;)

I'm not against seahorses at all; you just don't realize what you're getting into.

Your prolly right but I dont got much better to do. I didn't mean you were aginst seahorses you are just looken out for me. I will research and see if they are right for me.

Try hatching brine shrimp every other day for a month, and see what ya think by the end of the month. Seriously... Even two weeks, if you want. If you think you're ready to handle it, then go for it. Just remember, no live rock in their tank, and they need to eat nearly every day. (Not every other day! 5-6 times as RMM said, if not every day!) Just realize what you're getting into, that's all. :flower:

Oh and I have a estalished 2 and 5 gallon with corals in them in a month they will be moved over to my 29 gallon (did I mention spankin you with 250 watts). Wich tank is more ideal the two is a hex and the five is the walmart regent tank with a mini aqualight.

God man snoop!

These little boogers can amaze you while gazing at them for hours with each minute movement, but there is a huge husbandry factor here as we have just beat you about the head with ! LOL!

G-luck!

The regent 5.

BUT RINSE THE SUBSTRATE WITH FRESH SALT WATER AND TOTALY RELPAcE

ALL THE WATER WITH NEW. Start completely over again.

Archived