Cultivated Reef

Refugium!

Nemo_4_Ever

WHAT IS IT!!! I dont think I even spelt it right, I'm so n00bish asking this but I spose I have to find out some how. What is it and is it best to have one? Oh and what is PC lighting?

refugium - a refuge - safe place to keep new frags or corals that need to be out of preditors way and a place to grow GOOD algae which will help keep BAD algae under control. You can just keep LR + LS in there for more filtering until you need it for one of the items mentioned already. Go to the refugium forum for real answers.

refugium - a refuge - safe place to keep new frags or corals that need to be out of preditors way and a place to grow GOOD algae which will help keep BAD algae under control.
I don't know about keeping corals there. A refugium provides a refuge for various critters. It's a place for Copepods, amphipods, etc to live and reproduce without any predators. These critters eventually make their way into your tank and become live food for your inhabitants. As an added bonus, you can keep some macro algae there to compete with nuisance algae for nutrients.

As reefin said, PC is power compact. For more info on aquarium lighting, check here:

http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/

I don’t see why corals would be put in the fuge unless you were helping a sick or unhealthy specimen, or your tank is overcrowded and the piece is too big so you put it in the fuge.. IMO a fuge is not a place for corals. ...

Archived