SaltCritters.com

Who will sting who

doody

I have a couple corals that I know can put out stingers, but don't know who will sting who. From my understanding, just because it "can" sting other corals, does,nt mean that it'll sting "all" other corals.

Here's a list of what I have that I know might sting others:

* candy cane

* open brain

* plate

* branching frog

Here's some other stuff I have:

* zoos

* GSP

* Xenia

* rics

* shrooms

Who needs to stay away from who?

I have had my branching Hammer, (similar to the Branching Frog) sting my Candy Cane and Montipora Digitata. Everything else you listed should be OK next to each other.

Bob

Absolutely. VERY aggressive coral--I'd put it in the top 5, easily.

Who will sting whom... Mwahaha.

Originally posted by rbaby

I think she's referring to the Frogspawn.

I know but I'm trying to figure out if the frog needs to stay away from the candy cane or everything as someone mentioned their frog beeting up their candy can.

Oh, yeah...The frog is extremely aggressive, will attack everything, including the candy cane and any other LPS, SPS, zoo, mushroom, polyp, etc.

Hehe...That's what I did. I kept one head cos he's really pretty, but it's shoved among the macro, barely hanging on. It'll have room in the soon-to-be-set-up 45, I figure. :rolleyes: (Here we go again...)

I just assume that any different species of corals is gonna sting each other--so I keep my lords with the lords, echinatas with the echinatas and blastos with the blastos.

Even if they don't sting each other, it may still be chemical warfare in your tank if they're too close to one another...so I think it's probably just safe to assume that you don't let any of your corals touch :)...and give ample space between each coral.

My rainbow acan has completely decimated ricordias and micromussa's...now everything's double and triple epoxied (course, exaggerated)... :)

Well I don't have any corals touching each other, but from my understanding the following will actually send out stinging tenticals that can reach pretty far.

* candy cane

* open brain

* plate

* branching frog

Corals that have sweeper tentacles definitely need more space...Candy Canes don't have sweeper tentacles, but frogspawns and hammers definitely do. I'm not too sure about plates though but I doubt it as well as open brains (I had both and never saw any sweepers or have it sting nearby corals)...I'd be most worried about frogspawns and hammers.

ALL lps have sweepers. But actually, short-tentacle plates don't reach too far, nor do open brains or candy canes. Euphyllids of any kind (hammer, frogspawn, torch) are probably #1, but also Galaxia, Faviids and other "closed brain" corals, Bubbles (Plerogyra), etc. all have quite the extraordinary reach.

Thanks for clearing that up Caesar...I've never seen the sweepers on my candy cane/brain/plate, but like you said, they're not very long so I probably mistook them for feeders...or they blended right in :)...either way, no harm from them since they can't reach very far.

Yup, candies are pretty mild, not a far reach. I keep them right next to each other (have several different kinds) and next to other corals with no ill-effects, though they don't like being next to zoos or shrooms....The latter will win.

Yeah be careful with the frogspawn they will sting anything! Although my acan lord is very very aggressive too...It attacked my frogspawn from about 4 inches away!

Archived