Cultivated Reef

Algae ID

qsails

Can some one tell me what kind of algae this is? It only grows in the light and the front of the tank. Can you also tell me how to get rid of it. My clean up crew won't touch it.

Thanks for your help

Make sure that your Phosphates are at an acceptable level, and manually graze it out of your tank daily. this worked for us and after two weeks we don;t have any hardly at all, Maybe once a weel a small patch about the size of 1/4 of a dime. If you can get a pair of plastic tweezers liek the cheap ones that you get in a first aid kit these work well to pick it up. keep you net hande to catch off all of te little pieces that you pick off.

Good Luck

Originally posted by ricknbecky

If you can get a pair of plastic tweezers...

PetSmart has some plastic tongs.. their website has one, but it's not the same as I purchased:

PetSmart Tongs

Mine are actually 27 1/2".. they work great for getting down into my FW and SW tanks

Originally posted by mxpro32

get some red slime remover its reef safe and works like a charm.

CRINGE I hate chemmies! High water flow over the are will remove it, some Queen Conches will eat it. Please try other remedies before meds. Yes, it *says* reef safe, but ... :*(

There is plenty of current in the area. There is a torch down current of the slime and it loves where it is. I am going to test for Phosphates, Should be zero because I use distilled water. I know that there is some detris on the send bed so I will try to remove that.

Thanks for everyone's help

Archived