ReefCleaners.org

Eel? Worm? Thingy?

WhiteRat

So I'm staring at my tank...

And this little line of white about two inches long come flying out of one of the rocks, spazzes all over in the water (flopping more than swimming), then settles to the sand.

I go look and it has what looks like a tiny spine, a pointy end, and a blunt end, and fins running back all the length of its body to the pointy end.

A few minutes later I notice another one half-buried in the sand.

Eel? Worm? What the hell?

Ratty

The one half-buried in the sand has its mouth open and the mouth looks somewhat tubular but with pointy 'jaws' above and below. Like it has transparent cheeks or something, sort of.

Ratty

ok, calmly back away from the tank, exit the room, lock the door behind you and RUN!

sounds like a mini version of those sand beasts in the tremors series of bad movies.

I can't be totally sure without a pic, but it sounds like the dreaded spazzy half-buried pointy blunt tall-spined tubular open-mouthed transparent-cheeked eel-worm!

:woot:

Sorry man...I have no idea....try to get a pic of this little guy if you can....it'd help.

Originally posted by appstateguy

step 1: put down the syringe, you've done enough damage with the lsd.

step 2: if that doesn't help, call a priest.

LSD can be taken many ways, no need to assume a syringe. My method of preference was always gel tabs or paper (blotter yay!). The minute you stray from marijuana people think you use needles for everything. So unfair.

Ross, I think the scientific term for the beast you are talking about is scaryassus thingamagingus. In this case, I think the monster might actually be a ohmygodus whatisthatcrapusinmytankus. They are much rarer and much more frightening.

I'll take a pic next time I see it.

So far, aside from that, the coolest thing going on the TBSW live rock the last few days is that some tiny little blueberry-toned lumps have unfolded into centimeter-long tubes that are almost transparent but ribbed with neon blue. The tubes have two openings at the end and I think I'm looking at tunicates of some sort...

I really should have gotten some books on IDing reef inverts along with all the books on how to start a reef. I never imagined I'd have so much bizarre and unidentifiable stuff...

Ratty

lol

i meant you have already done enough prior damage with the lsd.... no need to start in on the heroine...

geez, havent you heard of appalachian state university??? read high times???

Originally posted by appstateguy

lol

geez, havent you heard of appalachian state university??? read high times???

I went to Tulane. If it weren't for Mardi Gras parade schedule and the Jazz Fest performance schedule, I wouldn't even know how to read.

LMAO

Can you even take acid by injection? Good God, no thank you. Twelve hours of out-of-your-head lunacy is enough for me. When I dabbled, I was a blotter man. Did the liquid/sugar cube method at a Dead show once, that was an experience.

Actually, they may be feather duster worms relocating. I had a lot of that sort of thing going on at night for the first few weeks with my tank. Then it stopped, and all of a sudden a bunch of new mini feather dusters opened up. Apparently they can relocate until they get big.

As for the tunicates, I hope you have better luck with yours than I had with mine. Tasty and defenseless--stuff just kept mowing them down. They kept coming back but not after the last time. :( Very pretty though!

printerdown01

I don't have a clue as to what the jawed-worm creature is in the tank... But there are 3 possibilities for the blue thingies... 1) Sea squirts (as you mentioned) 2) sponges 3) the weird elongated sponge like stalks that grow things that look like a ball of sea squirts at the top... when the begin to grow you can't tell what the hell they are!

tbsw25.jpg

OK just looked at your pics... these are DEF sea squirts, and the nicest ones i have EVER seen!! I don't mean to be critical, BUT if they are in the light they will die! It is not that they cannot tollerate light, it is the fact that if algae begins to grow on them they cannot fight it off. They then begin to choke and die... Try turning the rock if at all possible so that they are "under" a cave or something! Perhaps you can find a couple more peices of rock and buld an arch keeping the sponges and sea squirts on the underside (hanging upside down). Other wise you are probably going to loose these guys! And they are WAY too pretty to loose... One exception, if you are running a very low light nano, you might be just fine. WHERE ON EARTH did you find this awesome rock!?!?

Printerdown, dude, I appreciate the advice, but these guys are growing on the top side of a 20# hunk of live rock with a bunch of other stuff on it, no way I can turn that over and have them 'hanging'. I may be able to 'build out' a ledge above them.

In the meantime I will make sure I have lots of algae-eaters on hand.

Ratty

printerdown01

ok, BUT when your algae starts to grow you WILL loose it!! The sea squirts and MOST of your sponges. Snails and crabs are not going to eat the algae out of the tissue of your inverts (I promise). I am not lecturing you by any means; I simply want you to be aware that if you keep them exposed to the light they will be "choked out" by algae. It's a warning not a lecture.

Salright, dude, I understand. I just can't turn that rock over, it's HUGE. So I will try to build a 'shelf' over the tunicates to protect them.

And they're spreading, I just found a bunch of really tiny blue ones on rocks all over the tank.

Hell, if they keep this up I might need to find something to kill them.

Ratty

Archived