Cultivated Reef

The Buzz, CurrentUSA NC, any dirt?

steelhealr

OK..now MY lfs guy is talking about the new product supposedly being released by CurrentUSA this fall...a new 'cube' that will be allegedly be superior to JBJ's version. Anyone getting any drift on this or sneak peeks? Just keeping my hairline cracked NC in the back of my mind. SH

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be posting pics/taking preorders in the next few days. However. They need/want to take their time with final specifications, so I wouldnt expect a "press release" until next week or so.

I just have to double check some things with Current USA first.

Chris

See what happens when you are gone for a few days. I look forward to seeing what they will offer.

Chris, keep us posted with your offerings of this tank!

Steelhealr, you should get a trade going. If you still have both cubes from JBJ (the cracked one and the defective replacement) athen you can give them 2 JBJ tanks for 1 Current USA Cube. LOL j/k ;)

I hope they release some info soon.

TrekBear

Reading this post while I watch UM make a fool of themselves, this is also what I was looking for. I was going to dump funds into a 24nano but all this cracking business got me scared. I will be whating for this "new" tank as well!

If it was me..just starting out right now...I'll hold out to see what this is going to be IF I was interested in a self contained cube-like system. SH

It appears to come with the sunpaq lamps only. Did I miss the actinic or 50/50 bulbs? I think the first thing I would do is replace the lamps for my system, zoo and shroom garden would look really nice in this.

ya i am going to if it doesnt come with an actinic..which surprises me b.c. i would think that thye know this....im sure there is actinic lighting in it...there has to be..thats is exactly what im doing (shrooms and zoos) but im going to add in a pulsing Xenia

The glass is 5mm vs. the nanocubes 3.64mm thickness.

The "dual phosphor" Sunpaqs are 50/50 Daylight/Actinic.

Current USA puts some good testing and IMHO are one of the last "great american" companys left in the business. They actually do R&D, test each bulb/ballast and take their time.

Only time will tell if they will live up to their reputation, but from my experiences with them, they seem to be on the right track.

Chris

They have asked me not to set a firm date, but its within weeks (meaning 1-5 weeks).

They have been really good releasing information to me, and I have been pretty good keeping it under wraps. Product anticipation sometimes kills, but I think Current is doing the right thing taking their time.

If i had to set a date, I would say Late Sept/Early Oct would be the target.

Chris

I guess this tank has the same type of 3 compartments in the back? Looks good to me. And the price is cheaper. Still looking for my 1st. SW tank, this could be the one.

It is 2 rear compartments with an adjustable/reconfigurable sluice gate system that will allow the system to adapt to Fresh/Saltwater and provide good surface skimming ability.

I am still waiting for an official release, but the preliminary designs I saw indicated that they had done a good job with the rear filtration area.

Chris

how does the lighting set up compare between this new system and the nan cubes (the 24gal specifically)?

i'm, curious because i had ordered a 24gal nano dx and it arrived with a whole side smashed and it's replacement is going to the new 24 gal nano with the 'new' glass and extra testing, etc...but it doesn't arrive in the states for another 2 wks or so... so they say.

yes but more in the 12....i think that they will make more...if they sell well..b.c. if you remember it was NC12 then 24 then 24dx and 12dx (i dont know if that is the order but you get the concept) and im sure nanotuners or nanocustoms will do mods

Archived