Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish travel time limit?

jdiver

There are not many good fish stores near me (within 30 miles) and the only good one that sells saltwater is very expensive. There is however a good (or so I've heard) store about 2 hours away. My question is, if I were to go to that fish store, would fish survive the 2 hour car drive back? Are there things I can do to help with the trip? Any experience or advice would be very helpful and welcome. TIA.

All fish that you see in your LFS were shipped in from somewhere much further than 2 hours away. If you let them know you have a car trip ahead of you, they will double bag your livestock and put oxygen in the bag.

ask them to provide you with a large bag and lots of oxygen. make sure they actually add oxygen. the fish can live up to 2 days in a bag if done right. i have personally shipped fish across the country and they have all made the trip fine.

BustytheSnowMaam

Ditto- I always bring a playmate cooler with me to put the critters in on the way home.  Not only does it help maintain the temp but it's dark in there and hopefully less stressful.  We recently drove 1 1/2 hours to the LFS.  

Tasha

Thanks to everyone for the replies and tips! I will be putting a cooler in my car and heading for the fish store this afternoon. I'm thinking I better not forget my credit card! :)

BTW, some of you will probably realize that I do not yet have my nano completely set up (I have the water, sand and salt added thus far), but don't worry, I'm actually making this trip to get fish for my brackish tank. I will be scouting the saltwater fish and corals for my return trip(s) in the coming months. :happy:

Archived