Innovative Marine Aquariums

Submersible filters

Tcat

Hey Everyone,

I just got interested in setting up a nano-reef. I'm thinking about doing a 2.5g tank because thats about what i can afford and the space I have to run a tank. My question is this though, what are your thoughts on Submersible filters? Is it better to go with a HOB filter or will the Submersible work? I was thinking a Submersible because it would save some space, but if it won't do the trick then I could go with the HOB.

Thanks in advance for your help,

-tcat-

I think the small submersible filters like the duettos work fine... my complaints would be the incringement upon real estate in such small tanks. I don't know what you mean by saving space. They are in my opinion a bit unsightly as well. You can hide them behind rockwork but this might prove to be a bit of a pain in the pooty later come time to clean them.

Personally I just prefer using a small HOB like an AquaClear or Penguin mini.... just the intake tube in the tank and much easier to get to and work with if you wanna run some carbon or such.

Thanks, I think I am going to go with a HOB filter, I looked at some submersibles and then do look pretty bad. What I ment by saving space was saving space behind my tank, but it's really only like 3 inches so no big deal. Thank you for your help.

-tcat-

Archived