Coral Vue Hydros

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

Thanks guys! I'm still torn, but I've always wanted some Angels and Triggers and I don't want to take any risks with corals. Plus Butterflies would be cool, not to mention it would be a nice break from the lighting worries. :)

My blue jaw is doing great, and eating like a pig! She hasn't touched any of my shrimp, corals or other fish (yet) and again, I'll be moving her if she starts to get too crowded. Sorry I haven't posted any pics, I've been sick the last week and it was a struggle just to get out of bed.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but... but... REEFS ARE SO MUCH COOLER! hehe, that's my own opinion but it's true, I'll never see those other fish in any of my tanks ever =(

I know, I would love a reef that big, but with lighting and circulation, my electricity bill would be rediculous! Running 3 Darts 24/7 (1 open loop and 2 closed loop) will be enough electricity for my FOWLR plans. :)

Alright guys, you made me really rethink the FOWLR idea, so be sure to check out this thread and tell me your thoughts... :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...12entry763212

In the mean time here's some updated shots that I've been promising for too long. :D

Here she is hiding when I first got her...

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

And some more active shots...

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

And more detailed pics

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2038.jpg

And some new full tank shots...

DSCN2036.jpg

DSCN2037.jpg

Thanks Hotrod! Sorry for taking so long, I'll try to be better... Just been so focused on everyone else's tanks that mine's taken back seat. I spent part of my day rereading this entire thread and remotivated myself on my own tank... (Pathetic I know) Anyway, I hope I can figure out a way to convince my wife that I will have two tanks in the house because I will have a basement tank, and I don't want to take this one down now that I have it setup the way I want it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update guys, I traded my Superman yesterday, it had grown to the size of a golfball, and could pass this deal up. Got a yellow with blue tips a. tenuis, purple a. austera, green a. austera, a green with purple polyped table acro sp, and a deep purple branching acro sp. I'll try to get some pics today or tomorrow and post so you can see them, the deep purple acro is just incredible!!!

Alright, I finally got a white balance that shows the color of these bulbs and the tank... Here's some updated shots...

Birdsnest4.jpg

BlueTort3.jpg

Teal.jpg

YellowTableAcro.jpg

Valida.jpg

Tenius.jpg

GreenAustera.jpg

very cool. won't the trigger eat the dart fish soon?

LOL!!! I doubt it, the firefish are too quick for the trigger, and she's too much of a sweetie still. :)

Very cool Triger. Wont he eat the coral too? If so that's going to be one nice meal for the triger.

I've never heard of a trigger eating corals, now shrimp, snails, and crabs, that's another story. :)

Awesome updates! The trigger is really something, if she is not bothering anything at this stage, I doubt she ever will. Looks like your tank is maturing very nicely, definetly something to be proud of!

Thanks Aaron! :) Hopefully this will be it for corals, I think I'm officially out of room. :D Now the waiting game to let everything fill out.

triggers who have mouths upturned won't bother corals, but all triggers will eat fish smaller than them. they are considered as an aggressive fish.

grimreefers dot com would be a good place to research on them. they're all about the aggressive fish.

triggers who have mouths upturned won't bother corals, but all triggers will eat fish smaller than them. they are considered as an aggressive fish.

grimreefers dot com would be a good place to research on them. they're all about the aggressive fish.

Not all trigger as considered agressive and the female blue jaw is considered by most to be one of the most docile triggers. I'm not worried at all about mine, and to label all triggers as aggressive fish eaters, is pretty irrational and uneducated. Will they eat meat? Of course, mine loves a shrimp based diet, but to say triggers will eat fish smaller than them is just rediculous.

Oh I thought that Trigers were not reef safe. That's awesome because that is one killer fish. Hmmm...I want one, lol.

Some triggers are not reef safe (clown, undulate, titan) but some are considered cautionable... What I mean by cautionable is that most reefs include inverts and I wouldn't put a trigger in with inverts and expect them to last a long time. On the bright side though these triggers they will generally not harm anything else, fish corals etc...

i'm not saying your fish is not reef safe, was just wondering because I thought most triggers were pretty aggressive. I knew you wouldn't make an uneducated buy, so was just wondering. and I guess it isn't aggressive.

how big do they get?

Sorry Koden, didn't mean to come off as I think I did. Please accept my apology. True, most triggers can be pretty nasty fish, I had a huma take on a yellow tang as soon as it was in the tank once (wasn't pretty). There are a handful of triggers that are fairly docile and can be kept in reef tanks. That being said it's not a 100% rule. There are fish that alway love to prove people wrong, mean species that are nice, and nice species that turn mean.

Like I've already said, mine is very peaceful at this time, although I haven't seen my peppermints for about a week (not holding my breath). The other fish in the tank are out all the time and show no fear and she isn't acting agressive towards them either. The blue jaw will get up to 9 inches so it will definately outgrow my little 40 gallon, but I have another home planned for her already. This is not a fish I would recommend to most nano tank keepers, but those who have a large nano, or larger reef could certainly consider it as she's well worth it to me. Keeping inverts with them is definately questionable though.

I'm sure it's too early to tell (not grown out enough) but anyone care to guess what that last Purple Acro frag is?

I hope it's not a tort, I was hoping for something more exotic... :( Thanks for the compliment, and I hope to find some more room for additional frags. :)

Just read the entire thread, and wow, awesome. Great job. Im new to the nano world, not to the reef world, and you have a great setup. I may have missed this, but are you feeding the corals anything?, and I just started my own thread for my nano, and wanted to know how to post pics directly into the post like you have as opposed to the way I have it where you have to click on a thumbnail. Anyways, nice job, and cant wait to see what else you have to put in here. Also, will you be getting another superman, b/c that one you had was great. I hope to eventually put one in mine sometime.

Archived