Coral Vue Hydros

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update:

UV got here yesterday... Tank should begin construction tomorrow, and I hope to finalize my stand plans this weekend.

Okay, I need some suggestions for lighting... for about the same money I can either go with a 250W SE 10K MH with VHO Actinic's or I can go with a 250W HQI 14K without VHO's... Will a SE bulb be enough or should I need the HQI for this tank? I know 1 MH for every 2 ft, well the tank is 2ft x 2ft... Thoughts? Opinions?

Everything was sold off to try to help pay for this new tank... Strange down sizing to a 40 gallon, and even with selling all my live stock, I still don't have enough money for just the new equipment. ????

I was able to rig up a DIY Kalk reactor with one of my canisters for my Dad's tank (figured he could test out the proto-type) and it seems to be working excellent! Only 1 day down, but that's better than crashing on take off. :) I'll document it when I build mine. Only took about 15 minutes and a quick trip to Lowes!

Here are some new pics for ya, the tank is almost completed, Scott has a very ingenious idea on his over flows to help control the water level in the display tank without having to rely on increasing the return flow. He's designed an adjustable baffle on the overflow box (will be on the two outside walls of the overflow) a quick twist of a hand screw and the baffle and can raised or lowered to change the display water level. :) Hopefully the picture helps explain.

All 4 walls glued up

shell-1.jpg

Overflow cut and layed out

overflow-1.jpg

Overflow assembly

overflow-2.jpg

Overflow installed

overflow-in.jpg

overflow-side.jpg

corner-view.jpg

Adjustable Baffle in the down position (from the inside)

baffle-view.jpg

Adjustable Baffle in the up position (from the inside)

baffle-up.jpg

Adjustable Baffle in the up postion (from the ouside)

baffle-up-outside.jpg

Well went and check on the DIY kalk reactor on my Dad's setup, and it looks like it's going to work perfectly! Nice powder settled on the bottom, and clear lime water on the top. Just enough flow; the rodi must pass through the powder to enter the canister and it doesn't create a constant cloud. I'll get some pics when I can.

Got an update on the tank:

The shell was routed flush, the top template was built, routed out, and was bonded and curing last night. The bottom w/ bulkhead holes will hopefully be done today, and then buffing can begin. Should be crated this weekend, and ship on Monday hopefully! :) I'll post more pics as I get them.

Awesome man! Im glad everything is moving along for you...Im getting my sump and return pump on friday and all Ill need is to build the stand and hood and finish plumbing...

Just got some of the latest pics...

Here's the bottom with holes drilled for the bulkheads.

bottom-detail.jpg

Here's a top view showing the closed loop intake.

closed-loop-intake.jpg

The overflow box with the top on.

top-detail-2.jpg

The overflow box with the bulkheads for the closed loop pass-through and the sump drain and return.

inside-box-w-bulkheads.jpg

Closed Loop couplers installed in the top.

top-detail-coupler-in.jpg

Entire tank completed showing the 5 Closed Loop returns in the top.

Top-detail.jpg

All the edges and corners are still to be rounded over and then buffed and polished, not flamed. :)

Archived