Coral Vue Hydros

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my canisters for my DIY Kalk Reactor the other day, my Squirt will be here today, and my skimmer better be here today. :) The Chiller ships today; this things starting to come together. The ball should start rolling on the tank this week, and once I sell the 65 gallon, I can order the last of my supplies. Anyone have any ideas on how to fit a Chiller, Sump w/ ER skimmer, Return pump, CL pump, Kalk Reactor, and RODI Reservoir for top off all in a 24x24 foot print? :)

Yeah, I'm thinking about using a 10 Gallon tank and put the Skimmer in there, and then make some baffles and connect it to the return pump. Figure the sump will take up 1/2 the foot print, the pump another 1/8th and the Chiller the remaining 3/8ths. I'll have to multi-tier it and set the reservoir above the chiller and have the Kalk Reactor over the return pump. That just leaves the CL Pump and if I get that right up next to the bottom of the tank, then that will save head pressure on the pump. Just being able to get to the reservoir to be able to refill it... So I guess that's two maybe three tiers; this tank is probably going to be 42 inches off the ground... So much for not having to use a ladder to get into the tank. :(

Well the chiller shipped today, but my skimmer and squirt are sitting on the truck still since no one was home today to sign for it... (Wife went shopping instead). :( I'll get some pics once everything starts to arrive; hopefully I'll have them all this week.

Here's a shot of my filtration canisters that I plan to use for a Kalk Reactor...

DSCN1310.jpg

I'll only need one, not sure what to do with the other two yet...

DSCN1311.jpg

Here's the top, note one side In and one side out...

DSCN1312.jpg

The bottom of the lid might help explain how it's built...

DSCN1313.jpg

And a nice seal on the top of the canister itself.

DSCN1314.jpg

nice equipment...seems like its coming along nicely. Where did you find those containers/filter things for the kalk reactor? Looks like it will work pretty well for that.

-Mark

nice skimmer, i got a 5-3 on a 50g w/ 20g sump. Its greeeeeaaat! those canisters for kalk are cool, hope everything gets done, great tank man

Mark, the canisters were on Ebay, just do a search, his description is "BRAND NEW 3/4 INCH WHOLE HOUSE FILTER CLEAR HOUSING" They are pretty cheap, but shipping's pricey since they are good size. You can get more for just a little more on the shipping so I got 3 to help me justify it. :)

Matt, thanks! I hope a 10 gallon will work for my sump and 5-2, I don't want to take up too much space, got a lot of stuff to cram in under the tank. :)

I'm running a killer skimmer for nutrient export instead of a refugium, and dripping kalk to keep my Ph levels up. You could do an in-sump skimmer if you lose the refugium...

Originally posted by calvin415

Ozone is too risky for me...

Just read Bob Fenner saying "Numerous authors cite the need for carbon filtration, venting to prevent ozone poisoning of livestock, and even hobbyists (!). These fears are largely unfounded. Though I would not directly introduce ozone into a system, the little that intended units produce is dissipated quickly when utilized in a skimmer. The worst that does occur with small ozone generators is increased corrosion of "rubber" materials in your system; well worth the many benefits. You, your fishes and house will not burn up or down, I promise."

Maybe ozone is a possibility...

i think you'll find a lot of positive feedback about ozone over at reefcentral. I've never read of anybody over here using it, but do a search on RC for it and I'll think you'll find all of the info you need

-Mark

I found all the info I can handle, my eyes are killing me from reading so much... I will be adding ozone once I find some extra cash, I'm already over budget and the tank construction hasn't even started.

Originally posted by calvin415

Here's a shot of my filtration canisters that I plan to use for a Kalk Reactor...

DSCN1310.jpg

I'll only need one, not sure what to do with the other two yet...

DSCN1311.jpg

Here's the top, note one side In and one side out...  

DSCN1312.jpg

The bottom of the lid might help explain how it's built...

DSCN1313.jpg

And a nice seal on the top of the canister itself.

DSCN1314.jpg

I say you do what this guy did with one of those.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...25&pagenumber=1

That's where I got the idea for the K-Reactor. I wanted to do a 2-stage C-Reactor with the other 2 but I don't have the room for two more canisters and a CO2 tank. Although, I bet I could put it under my 23 gallon and run a pair of lines between the two. We'll see, I need to find the money for the O3 first, then I'll try to put together the C-Reator. Don't have an extra 250 for just a CO2 tank and regulator.

Archived