Coral Vue Hydros

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

Guess I'll get started on documenting this... After changing the designed numerous times and still doing some "tweaking"... here is what it should look like when construction is completed.

TopView.jpg

Construction is being performed by Scott with Aquatic Systems Design

24 inches by 24 inches, and 20 inches tall. Built out of 1/2 acrylic to ensure minimal bowing and extra strength. The holes in the bracing will be for returns from an OM Squirt on a closed loop plumbed to the drain in the display area. The CL will be powered by a PanWorld 50PX-X.

The remaining 3 holes in the overflow will be for the drain to the sump (1 inch), the return from the sump (3/4 inch) pushed by a Gen-X - PCX- 30. The last remaining hole, also 1 inch will be a pass through from the CL pump to the Squirt which will be positioned above the tank. The overflow will be black acrylic and the walls adjacent to the overflow will be laminated with black acrylic to give an appearance of black without enclosing the overflow completely. I want to be able to look into the overflow from the outside when plumbing so it will remain clear.

Using outside measurements the tank is 49.8 gallons, but with the 1/2 inch acrylic and overflow the display area is approximately 40 gallons.

The sump will be built out of either a 10 or 15 gallon tank, and will contain a EuroReef 5-2 and drilled for auto top off and return pump. Top off will incorporate two methods a Kalk drip and a float valve both fed from a RODI reservoir. Lighting will be a 250W HQI 14K Pendant housed within a custom built canopy to match the custom build cabinet for the sump and pumps. If I can find room in the cabinet (and the money), I hope to incorporate a chiller to help manage the temps, but in the mean time, I will have to rely on fans. Hopefully I've thought this out completely, if anyone notices anything I've omited please let me know before construction begins on the tank.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Here's a diagram of where the Squirt will sit and how I plan to plumb it... (again all of this will be above the tank)

SquirtFlow.jpg

Again, water will drain out of the display area, go into the Closed Loop pump (below tank), get pumped back up and through the pass-through bulkhead and enter the OM Squirt which will route the water through each path to create random flow

Make sense?

Well with it being a square I have two front views and I can change the look of my tank, just moving from my desk, to the couch. :)

Originally posted by Pili

looks good!  Did you do all the CAD drawings your self?

I can, but these ones were done by Scott with Aquatic Systems Design... He's sent plenty more, as well as some AVI's showing the tank in full 3-D rotation to get a feel for how the tank will look. Outstanding customer service if you ask me!

Thanks, just found a guy to sell me the chiller I'm looking for at the price I'm looking for, so one more piece completed (hopefully). :)

i like it. how are you going to direct the flow? since the output nozzles are all at the top, are you going to have flex tubing so the flow isn't all directed at the bottom?

Originally posted by p.o.t.u.s

i like it.  how are you going to direct the flow?  since the output nozzles are all at the top, are you going to have flex tubing so the flow isn't all directed at the bottom?

Yes, all the CL returns will be connected to 3/4" Loc-Lines and will actually Y into 2 3/4" Loc-Line returns. So there will be a total of 6 nozzles around the outside of the tank. There will only be singles on the two on either side of the overflow which makes 8 and then the two single returns from the sump for a total of 10 adjustable loc-lines all around the tank.

Originally posted by proraptor

Man that is really going to look sweet! BTW: I just ordered my 60 cube! Should be here next week

Very Cool! Almost the same tank! :)

Originally posted by EnFuego

Great looking tank!  I'm waiting to hear back from them about a tank...I sent you a PM with a question if you don't mind.

-Mark

Mark, PM'd you back. :) Thanks for the complement!

Archived