inTank Media Baskets

Questions on New Tank with Tampa Bay Saltwater Rock

WhiteRat

Hi guys.

Got a 30-gallon, CPR Bakpak skimmer/filter, 2 Zoo-Med powerheads and a PSL MH/PC lighting system with a 175w 10000K MH and 2 55w 50/50 true actinic/10K bulbs.

About 48 hours got in ~30 pounds of TBSW aquacultured rock and 30 pounds of their live sand. Was totally stunned at how much stuff was on it. Can't identify half of it. About a dozen different colors and shapes of sponges, lots of little circular guys with transparent tentacles, lots of little wormtubes.

For the first day, not a lot of activity. Lots of little transparent tentacles, a bunch of tiny little conical black-shelled snails and really, REALLY tiny little hermits, then a 1/2" porcelain crab showed up, then a 2" olive drab sea cuke with orangish spikes.

Day two and WHOA! There's an inch long kind of purplish-pale nudibranch swimming around for a minute or two, then he hides again. Then a tiny white brittle star crawls across a hunk of blue sponge (i never would have seen him otherwise) almost all the wormtubes now have fans sticking out of them and there's about a 3" clam sticking out of one of the rocks that I thought was just more encrusted rock, earlier. It seems every time I look at the tank I see something new. Really impressed!

What I'm wondering about is this: I have heard bad stories of how nasty sponges get when dying off. How can you tell if they are dying off? I mean, they aren't the healthiest looking things when they're in the ocean depths doing great to begin with, kind of like chewed bubblegum in weird colors smeared over the rock (though I have a few ball-shaped ones growing out on their own and some finger-shapes). What signs should I look for to tell me 'get that sucker out now before it gets ugly nad pollutes the tank'?

Also, I have read that nudibranchs almost always die in captivity. Is this true? If so should I find it again and net it out before it adds to my initial ammonia spike?

So far things are going amazingly well and I only wish I could figure out how to manually focus my digital camera so I could get good pics of it.

Ratty

Yep, you're very lucky with the things that hitchhiked on your rock....what a great deal. I've read the same about nudibranches not doing well in captivity, but have never had one so I can't really speak to that.

How can you tell if they are dying off?
Here's the way I could tell my sponges were dying - they reaked. If you suspect they're dieing, pull a small piece off and take a whiff. If you fall over backwards, it's dieing.

Keep us posted on your progress...

Originally posted by WhiteRat

lots of little circular guys with transparent tentacles

Ratty

AIPTASIA!!! AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH! - maybe you got a little pepp shrimp as a hitchhiker too.

I don't think they are aptasia. But I could be wrong, being a rank amateur (very rank, but I'll go shower now).

Some of them are visible in my photos at www.bastet.org/~whiterat/reeftank

Specifically look at tbsw13.jpg and the right edge of tbsw8.jpg. They look like a little blue or brown lifesaver candy with a catseye mouth in the middle and have transparent tentacles.

PLUS! I got some pics of the nudibranch! I think. I am not so sure he is a nudibranch now. I am not even sure he is the same one as his colors seem different. Now instead of purplypink speckles he seems to have cinnamony-purple speckles.

See tbsw18.jpg through tbsw20.jpg and any positive ID would be greatly appreciated. =)

And I got the rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (tbsaltwater.com) as part of their 'package'.

Ratty

i've got 2 nanos that i am planning to set up at the beginning of the year. 1 12 eclipse for my dad's office, and 1 15 or so custom acrylic for me. I think i'm going to go with TBS, i saw someone's pics with a 75, and it looked amazing. I tried to go to that website, but it seems down. I am excited to see how yours looks,

keep me updated!

Archived