Micro-Reefs Aquariums

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Simply amazing! A total inspiration to get my 72 bow going!

If you had to do it again, would you go with the same sump? Im trying to decide between a reef ready and a larger custom sump.

Anything else you might do different if you could do it all over again?

Wow,

Let me think,,, if I could do it all over again what would I do different? Now this questions is hard to answer because I would like to own a 120 gallon reef ready tank; I'd have more room in the cabinet. I'm a junky for more power in the engine.

I feel I'm trying to place a V8 engine in a 4 cylinder chasis with my current setup; small cabinet...

The way my tank is setup up today utilizes all my equipment nicely; I just need more space. The glass sump is of high quality design, it's a very strong enforced glass and in no way distributes salta creep; thats' a bonus.

It also skims the surface water within the sump to oxygenate the water and remove surface debris.

If you like a particular other sump and it fits nicely and has more options than the standard reef ready glass some of oceanic, go for it....

Share with us the pros and cons to other equipment so other reefers will learn....

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero

Triggz
Wow,

Let me think,,, if I could do it all over again what would I do different? Now this questions is hard to answer because I would like to own a 120 gallon reef ready tank; I'd have more room in the cabinet. I'm a junky for more power in the engine.

I feel I'm trying to place a V8 engine in a 4 cylinder chasis with my current setup; small cabinet...

The way my tank is setup up today utilizes all my equipment nicely; I just need more space. The glass sump is of high quality design, it's a very strong enforced glass and in no way distributes salta creep; thats' a bonus.

It also skims the surface water within the sump to oxygenate the water and remove surface debris.

If you like a particular other sump and it fits nicely and has more options than the standard reef ready glass some of oceanic, go for it....

Share with us the pros and cons to other equipment so other reefers will learn....

MG

Yeah thats my only complaint is the cabinet is too small. I am moving Sept 1st and will be setting up shortly after. I will be sure to start a build thread when I get going. I will also be using using this thread to help me along the way.

Thanks Mike for a kick a** thread/tank! B)

NYPRODJ

Yeah that seems to be the thing with bowfronts... my 46g has a serious lack of cabinet space, althought not bad I had to put a canister on the tank instead of a sump/fuge like I wanted to - that and noise concerns since the tank is in the bedroom. I looked at the 180g oceanic bowfront and the stand has lots of room but the bowfront shape doesn't help for wide items. But once you go bowfront you cant go back!!!!

aka_aquaman1329
Hey reefers,

I've decided to start a diary of my bow front and share with you all, it's evolution, enjoy.....

It arrived Monday August 15th 2005....

Mike

amzipf.jpg

amzivn.jpg

amzj15.jpg

amzj4l.jpg

amzkh1.jpg

amzknb.jpg

amzkua.jpg

wat wuz the cost of all tat

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

If memory serves me well, it goes something like this:

Sump with glass lid: $199

Mag 7: $59

72 bowfront: $268

72 cabinet: $396

72 canopy: $120

Filter sock etc: $40

Around $1,082 for all other things Mr. Guerrero uses Visa; priceless hahaha, just had to throw that in.... Sorry....

Obsessed Reefer

I think it would go something like this....

Sump with glass lid: $199 on Debit MasterCard

Mag 7: $59 on Debit MasterCard

72 bowfront: $268 on Debit MasterCard

72 cabinet: $396 on Debit MasterCard

72 canopy: $120 on Debit MasterCard

Filter sock etc: $40 on Debit MasterCard

The reward of being able to relax looking at a beautiful reef tank: Priceless

There are somethings money cant buy, but for everything else, there Debit MasterCard

lol

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

There are somethings money cant buy, but for everything else, there Debit MasterCard

lol

THAT WAS AWESOME, I NEARLY FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR, LAUGHING...... THANKS FOR REMEMBERING THE COMPLETE QUOTE!!!!!

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero

Obsessed Reefer
:huh: Hey.... I'm confused... It's not Caps Lock Friday... lol

MAXreefer

Great postings here with a lot of information.

I am setting up a 95Gallon wave tank.

So far so good.

mikeguerrero (or somebody else who can help me with this):

I saw you added a chiller.

I assume you are running the chiller on the sump?

Where did you put the intake to the chiller and the return to the sump.

Here is a pic of the sump.

pro150wd.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Obsessed Reefer

Hey. For the chiller in/out take, I'm pretty sure it really doesn't matter. Although if you have real bad temperature fluctuations, then you might want to put the intake in the part where the water enters the sump from the tank, and the outtake just before the water goes back into the tank. But I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Great postings here with a lot of information.

I am setting up a 95Gallon wave tank.

So far so good.

mikeguerrero (or somebody else who can help me with this):

I saw you added a chiller.

I assume you are running the chiller on the sump?

Where did you put the intake to the chiller and the return to the sump.

Here is a pic of the sump.

pro150wd.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Michael

I run the 1/4 horse power Artica chiller by JBJlighting. I had to upgrade my return pump to give me the extra umff to gain the correct contact time for water to chiller exposure.

If you don't calculate correctly you will have a chiller always turing on because it's not reaching the correct cotact time, vice a versa.

You need to see what the height of your wave tank will be, once you get that number you want to determine what type of pump you will need against the head pressure of gravity.

Each model pump will tell you in feet what it can produce so that won't be a problem in the selection process. Next you need to determine what type of chiller to purchase, there are a lot to choose from. Make sure you get the correct H/P for your size tank.

I cannot remember where I found a website that you can google for the ratio on how much heat your tank is producing; lights, heater, pumps, powerheads, etc. Once you enter all this data the program will tell you what size H/P you really need.

You will have to purchase the hosing for the chiller as they don't come with that, they do have all the correct adapters for all types of hoses, at least JBJ does.

I run my chiller on the left side of my tank, it's not in the cabinet because it needs to breathe. Make sure you don't obstruct the vents. My mag 12 pump which is in the sump, runs directly to my chiller input and then exists the chiller and runs straight up to my return line in my main display tank which has a Y adapter.

Now my chiller does come on a lot more than other tanks because I run glass tops on both my main display and my sump, I get very little evaporation or salt creep.

Every 4 hours my chiller will turn on for about 35 minutes and that can get expensive but I'm budgeted for my fish, I don't have premium channels on Dish network plus no PPV channels never.

There is a trade in life, you just need to see what you will sacrafice....

Hope this helps you out....

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero

aka_aquaman1329

lol

wowee but i give u my props on tat it looks amazing

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Attention all reefers,

In an inspiration to my love and devotion for reeftanks I decided to become certified in SCUBA.

I choose SSI which stands for Scuba Schools International and I went with Captain Aqua's in Hayward/Dublin CA.

I choose them for their friendly help and there passion to this underwater world.

In an attempt to educate myself and my fellow readers I will document my entire process as I become an openwater diver and soon fly to Florida, Cozumel and many other temperate zones to bring you back wonderful pictures for all to share.

I went with Atomic Aquatics which is based out in Huntington Beach, my old stopping ground as I grew up body boarding in Orange County back in the 80's.

With my wetsuit, being that I'm training in California coastal waters that reach a chilling 50 degrees farenheit, I went with Pinnacles wetsuits which are Livermore based up here in the SF bay area. They know cold waters better then most.

Let the games begin....

MG

5yi10lf.jpg

6h2svh5.jpg

63127mt.jpg

NYPRODJ

Mike, let me re-iterate... you are the man.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike, let me re-iterate... you are the man.

Thanks,

I'm the type of person that if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it with style and grace. I hope to educate myself and others on all types of topics that this underwater world gives us.

It's an amazing hobby, the reeftank in the home, but can you imagine the fathoms below? What and how many are down there? Do they behave the same way they do in the wild as they do in the home.

There are too many questions for me to list here but I'm going to attempt to begin something special for all to follow.

Please tag along anyone ever interested in this fascinating world we call the ocean...

Mike G

Edited by mikeguerrero

NYPRODJ

You may want to change your tag to reflect that you have a 90g bowfront... lol :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
You may want to change your tag to reflect that you have a 90g bowfront... lol :)

That's why the tag says: 72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution.

We have evolved into the 90 gallon....

Hopefully reefers take enough time to read the entire thread...

MG

knappkins

hey great tank, i have a 72 bowfront gal at home and i have the Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights with 2 65 watt bulbs. i was wondering what lighting you use because i want to try and upgrade to be able to maintain some clams and other corals that require more lighting.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
hey great tank, i have a 72 bowfront gal at home and i have the Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights with 2 65 watt bulbs. i was wondering what lighting you use because i want to try and upgrade to be able to maintain some clams and other corals that require more lighting.

I use two HQI 20K at 150 watts each... So that's 300watts total over the bow... Remember clams are not just about light, they require additional spot feedings and will die if not catered to...

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Well,

I finally did it and it was an awesome experience... Things I saw...

Arriving on location in rain slick training our instructor waisted no time getting us orientated with the entire location, dive shops, bathrooms, compass navigation on land and beach entrances.

We suited up and practiced our snorkeling first with our jackets on, dove down and picked up sand in our hand and brought that back up for the instructor; a pike dive.

Then we placed our entire gear on and I brought the wrong regulator set that would not fit my Malibu BC back inflate and had to rent a jacket inflate instead; I noticed that the majority of rentals at Monterey are practically all jacket inflate.

Quite the opposite from our LDS which promotes nothing but back inflate; I was kinda of very ####sed that I had to rent out the Jacket inflate since I had my sites on really mastering the back inflate which I had practiced in the pool.

Well, the visibility was very bad as we swam to our bouy to begin our mask clearing; maybe 1 foot at the surface, but down to the bottom of the rope the visibility was about 8 feet at most so I was encouraged when the first set of divers came back up and told us.

As I went down my buddy had a hard time equalizing the ears because she was a little sick before the dive and the instructor had to keep taking her up 2 feet which made me wait a while just below her. That makes you use up more air waiting for the others to clear.

Once down in that super cold water I read my depth at about 20 or so feet and once those ears were cleared I was feeling great down there. the only thing that bothered me was the cold water on my fingers, I have to get use to that cold surge.

I read temps as low as 54 degrees with one diver in our group saying he saw it drop to 47 degrees at one point; as long as I kept the hands close to my torso or moving them around I would generate some heat but could notice the cold water moving around in them when I would flex the hand.

I used a 4mm karbon flex Merino Pinnacles glove. The rest of me was at 7mm at the head, torso at 13mm, groin at 10mm, boots at 6mm and the extremeties at 7mm legs and arms. My suit is all Merino linen on all items, I use a three piece suit not counting the boots or gloves.

I didn't feel any cold what so ever as I entered the blizzard water, nothing at all goes down that seal at the back not with that new neck seal that the M-E 7 from Pinnacles promotes.

Just the hand and on my last dive on Sunday my arms just the arms could feel a hint of cool but not cold, and absolutely nothing in the groin and zero at the chest.

My bouyancy was done with just 28 lbs on the jacket inflate which I really didn't like since trying back inflate BC the Malibu.

Man was our faces really cold when we did a full mask recovery and had that cold water hit our cheeks and nose. It's literally amazing how warm that area stays with your mask, just amazing.

We saw lots of sea lions all over the rocks on the wall with an occasional seal cruising about 10 feet away from us, they move so fast and are extremely agile, no wonder they are hard to catch via predators like the shark.

As much as I wanted to block out the shark he kept entering my mind when ever I surfaced and floated on my back to exist the beach. I would always try to stay close to my partner just for security in mind. Visibility is just zero from looking down to the floor as your swim on the surface, that really sucked.

It was all fun exploring at the bottom with our instructor finding a lot of decorative crabs. Lots of stars and a couple super size stars the size of my chest. Some really big fish too, the size of basket balls, I mean the mask makes them appear 33 percent larger so maybe they were smaller.

On my last dive with my buddy, we decided to swim on the surface all the way out close to the end of the rocks and then dive down and explore and come back. We had a hard time dropping without the guidance of the rope on the bouy since the water at surface was so murky, but once we got to the bottom and equilized the ears it was all good, visibility was at best 10 feet in all areas minus the kicking of the sand from our lack of experience.

We followed baby flounders all over the rocks and before I new it we had dropped down to 37 feet and still dropping till we made it to 45 and we stopped. We had a BT of about 28 full fun minutes till our PSI dropped down to 1,000. We decided to return to the surface and swim back to shore.

That swim was the hardest since at times we hit some current but we finally made it back and removed our fins and lugged up that heavy gear up the stairs through the water drainage that poured right into break water, it had rained all day on Saturday from the parking lot, leaving us with a much better day of full sun on Sunday with no drainage.

Overall experience was a 10 on the scale, knowing that future dives should have a much better visibility than what we got, that will spoil us in the future.

Now it's time to consider what computer, regulator and BC I will purchase. I now know that I don't want a connected computer since I prefer seeing my data on my left arm, that wasn't something I considered before, but being a diver now, I know my desires and whats more practical for me.

They are so right about try it in the ocean first before you purchase, I just made sure I got a really nice wetsuit and mask and fins and the rest would be trial and error on rental equipment first.

We also camped out in our CRV cars Saturday night, that was a lot of fun, I brought all my camping equipment and the car stayed nice and toasty with waking up to divers in the morning for their Sunday dives.

Well, I can't say anything more other than thanking my dive buddy for getting me into scuba and of course our awesome instructor Erin, thanks...

MG

PS...

Beach dives suck when you get sand all over your suit and on your regulators. I can hardly wait to do the boat dives in Monterey, nice entry and exist no sand. I guess you just don't really appreciate some things in life until you've tried them all.

Oh yeah, my buddy purchased a underwater camera and took some pics of me underwater with the giant starfish, I hope they come out and I will post.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reefing just wasn't enough for me... I had to go down below and see where the critters really come from...

MG

dw3yuc.jpg

Izzue

Diving is most awesome...

The only problem I have is having to clear my mask from giggling to myself...

Underwater world is a totallly awesome experience.

Diving just ends up costing much for folks not close to good diving areas.

Have a great time...just dont touch

Izzue

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

My wife discovered scuba with PADI; the program was free and she loved it. She is now thinking about getting certified. :)

Here are a couple pics of her in the water...

2cmokt3.jpg

rwoqc5.jpg

10rlq4o.jpg

bonsai reefer

Sweet set up mike !!!! Congrats on the upgrade looks flawless. He He Guess what I have sitting in my garage ?? Yep you guessed it a 72 reef ready bow with stand. Time to upgrade the 12 gal cube master. It will be a little while b4 I do ,the wife is still getting over the 300 gallon lake malawi adventure!! Keep up the good work!!