inTank Media Baskets

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Very nice, but then again I would expect nothing less from you :P

Where was the water you used to fill the tank from?

MJD

I did 50 gallons of new Synthetic sea salt from Oceanic, did you see the container in the tank; 1st couple of shots?

I literally took the CRV down to Penquin purifer; only cost me $1.25 per 5 gallons of water, came back full of water.

I then started mixing water in my living room and pouring it into the tank with rocks and live sand.

After filling 50 gallon of synthetic sea salt; I was almost full, just about 10 gallons more of original tank water.

The sump and reactors had about 4 gallons of original water.

Because of the massive water change of new salt, my nitrates are zero they use to be about 20 ppm.

I also only placed in my fish that were symptom free of diseases, some of them had lateral line disease and I took them back to my LFS and got store credit and brought home a healthy tomini tang.

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero
SR20Fastback
The majority of my high end equipment is from AC, they have a huge selection of stuff with great prices; they will match online deals not to mention their staff is very friendly...

Ken the owner of the shop is great to work with and his crew is very knowledgeable, especially Cameron, he knows just about everything there is about reefing...

I live in Five Canyons, Castro Valley. I'm about 10 miles away from the shop about 10 minutes, they use to be closer when they were in Hayward, but I don't mind Dublin, since I can take the backroads to get there if traffic is present on 580...

MG

yeah cameron is good, i also really like jay (even though i heard he may be leaving). i will probably get my next tank from them as well ( i like the 46 bow oceanic metals they have, or the 96 stainless tank think its something flow, its over by the redbull machine). definitely going to refer back to this thread when its time to start putting that together. your tank is more than inspirational, and i enjoyed reading all 25/6 pages. thanks for sharing all your experiences with us.

also i noticed you had a green bubble coral... did that end up surviving? i got one for my cube the other day, it seems to be doing even better than when it was at AC... though i notice the sweepers are out almost 24/7. not sure if this is a good or bad sign yet.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

About one month ago my friend came over and noticed a small crab in my 72 gallon tank. I couldn't ID it because it ran away and I never saw it again.

Now, during my move to my 90 gallon tank, I found the crab and placed him in a small container with some live rubble.

I wanted to get him ID because I recall purchasing one emerald crab about 2 months ago; anyway this critter in his attempt to escape the container crawled out and died on my carpet.

I have photographed him in hopes that someone can ID him; is this a good crab or a bad crab?

Thanks,

MG

4358qdx.jpg

2nl7aqu.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero

Ahh the age old good crab bad crab debate! He looks like a fuzzy emerald crab... you should preserve him in acrylic and make him into a paperweight! Then he would be a good crab...

SR20Fastback
Ahh the age old good crab bad crab debate! He looks like a fuzzy emerald crab... you should preserve him in acrylic and make him into a paperweight! Then he would be a good crab...

i dunno why but i found this hillarious! :lol:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

In an attempt to fill out my reef on my 90 tall, I purchased an additional 4 lbs of premium rock. I picked out the smallest of pieces in order to fill the top of this massive wall...

I have only filled the right side of my reef since I could not find enough pieces to fill the left side of the tank....

You can see from the photograph that the left side of the tank is still exposed with the powerheads, whereas the right side is concealed best I could....

I also purchased black background and masked it to the back on my 90 tall tank; because I have a 3 inch sandbed it worked out nicely since the standard cut comes only in 24 inches of height. I simply had them cut me 48 inches accross and I was set....

I also sliced up four pictures of my tank in order for you to see how tall this tank really is....

MG

Here is a FTS

2irqlft.jpg

Here is farthest on the right side

2ur1c7r.jpg

Here is next to the far right side

2drb3ft.jpg

Here is next to the left side

2nv55pu.jpg

Here is the farthest to the left side

2ykxlyp.jpg

coral_addict

This tank is SICK! I'm blaming you for going away from the Nano world. You're making me contemplating of buying a larger house just to get a nice Huge piece of the Reef like this. With a tank like this, I bet you can never take any vacation right?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

After almost two years of running my 20k bulbs, I finally replaced them. They were getting really weak and even more so in my deeper tank the 90 bow.

I took some before and after pics and I saw a huge difference in person, you tell me what you guys think?

MG

Before the new bulb

49j0bp4.jpg

The old bulb, the PAR looks dull

2d1s6yd.jpg

Very dirty UV glass old bulb

2mwxi08.jpg

Removing old bulb

4061h0k.jpg

New bulb

47ug8bm.jpg

Placement of new bulb

404vo93.jpg

Compare the intensity of the new bulb

449964k.jpg

Take a look towards the surface, the difference is clear

29lxp8g.jpg

Right side of tank with new bulb

35015sm.jpg

Left side of tank with new bulb

2di5c7o.jpg

FTS new bulb

3zk455w.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero
Oceanic 30g

Mike,

You should try to add some coral and liverock it looks empty.

All joking aside. This is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. I am sure it was a pretty heavy investment of funds.

Tangman1218

Mike,

Quick question. Youre 20K's look very white, not a crisp blue like 20K's ive run before. Do you find that the Coralife 20K HQI's run whiter than other brands? Are you supplementing with 10K's in VHO or sumthin else to get that more white look? I am thinking of switching out my Reeflux 12K's (VERY blue) to Coralife 10Ks, but if the Coralife 20's really look that white, then I may just go with the same youve got. Thanks :happy:

Tank looks great BTW

Tang

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Quick question. Youre 20K's look very white, not a crisp blue like 20K's ive run before. Do you find that the Coralife 20K HQI's run whiter than other brands? Are you supplementing with 10K's in VHO or sumthin else to get that more white look? I am thinking of switching out my Reeflux 12K's (VERY blue) to Coralife 10Ks, but if the Coralife 20's really look that white, then I may just go with the same youve got. Thanks :happy:

Tank looks great BTW

Tang

Tang,

The lights are crisp blue, my Canon 800IS converts the picture to more white; as I due a white balance before snapping the pictures...

I will take some pictures in aquarium mode which captures the scene just like the tank should be seen...

Hope that helps out...

MG

p.s

the 10K coralife would be very yellow, I own a Hang on the top 14k Coralife fixture and would choose that color over the 10k... It gives it a bright white crisp look with just a hint of blue...

I went with the 20k because I fell in love with the crisp blue look of the tank, you just need to switch out these bulbs sooner than 1 year to keep the nice color...

I ran the 14k on my 6 gallon thread, take a look and you'll see a ton of pictures with this light...

Edited by mikeguerrero
SR20Fastback

new lights look great Mike. nice to see you're still making new additions too.

where did you source your black and white false perc at? i've been trying to get ken to order me one for a while now.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Being patient I found some premium live rock from Great Bay Aquarium in San Lorenzo. The owner sold me some pieces he had in the back that were not for sale, talk about membership.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics, stacking piece on piece until I got them to hold; I used BTI glue and gravity for them rocks to fuse. If anyone has ever tried buiding on the mega flow of a bowfront they will tell you it's almost impossible.

You don't have space on the bow and consequently the rocks will slide off with the slightest movement; turbo snails are not allowed in my tank.

MG

6fyy04g.jpg

6g3n5td.jpg

4kauicj.jpg

4z8q2j8.jpg

62rm24w.jpg

5x4rgwz.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Take a look at my last FTS, how many powerheads can you find? I know easter just passed but did you find 6 eggs or should I say 6 powerheads?

MG

alexmurovec

i can't even imagine how good your tank is going to look once all that rock is covered in grown out corals :o

• 2 weeks later...
About one month ago my friend came over and noticed a small crab in my 72 gallon tank. I couldn't ID it because it ran away and I never saw it again.

Now, during my move to my 90 gallon tank, I found the crab and placed him in a small container with some live rubble.

I wanted to get him ID because I recall purchasing one emerald crab about 2 months ago; anyway this critter in his attempt to escape the container crawled out and died on my carpet.

I have photographed him in hopes that someone can ID him; is this a good crab or a bad crab?

Thanks,

MG

4358qdx.jpg

2nl7aqu.jpg

Hairy legs, black claws = bad crab.

• 2 weeks later...