Top Shelf Aquatics

refugium light question

GPCRalph

I have a refugium that is about 11"x15"x18" (l x w x h). There aren't any plants in it yet because I am not sure how much it needs. Could you guys give me your suggestions? Right now I have a normal output 15W flourecsent bulb (from 10 gallon light strip) over it but I feel like it might now be strong enough. If it is let me know cause it would be awesome to not have to buy more stuff.

Ralph

To seed the fuge, you only need a small handfull of macro algae. It will grow fast and you will be pruning it back fequently. Regarding the lighting, I would experiment with what you have. If you don't see noticeable growth, you need to upgrade. My caulerpa was growing like a weed with no lighting other than sunlight for 3 hours in the morning sun. I moved it out of the window on Monday night and I am noticing some growth already. I have a 13w jalli powercompact over the fuge and I leave it on for 3 hours a day.

there's no 'set formula' (that i know of) for quantity of plants or types. every system being different in livestock and arrangement precludes a good set formula imo.

caulerpa racemosa is what has been working for me. c. prolifera is also good but my batch was eaten up. X) if you're going to also display the refugium you could try mangroves but other than displaying i don't recommend it as it processes too slow imo. its root system can be a good shelter for fry or small fish tho.

a daylight or those flora-gro bulbs are a good choice for a planted refugium imo. 6700K-range or a uri aquasun is very good.

I'm retarded....I meant to say that I haven't put any plants in it because I don't know how much lighting it needs before I can put any macros in there that will live. Sorry about that but thanks for your answers.

Archived