inTank Media Baskets

.1 gallon acrylic pico

Styxnpicks

w00t just started my 0.025 gallon pico, I made the "tank" out of some little 2.5 x 2 inch blocks of .25 inch acrylic a had sitting around. threw some tank water, LR and a .25 inch of sand and off we go so far the only inhabitants are two Asterina star fish. i still need to figure out a way to light it and get some water movement but i'll post pics tomorrow

I was planning on led's in the future for lighting but for now it gets to sit in a east facing window, and daily 20ml waterchanges with my 10 g should be a snap. I have a frag of kenya tree in there right now and it's doing good so far

neanderthalman

That's just amazing. How 'bout a closed loop for flow?....wait.....I've got it.

Take a miniture paddlewheel from a toy, attach it to a little electric motor, and give it just enough juice to turn. Hang it over the side with the wheel partway in the water.

Wait, no..saltwater that close to a little electric motor would be a bad idea. How about this....suspend the paddlewheel partway in the water, and use an airpump to blow air at it to turn it. This is a serious suggestion.....

Originally posted by Hobg05

what did you use glue the acrylic? It looks really clean

lol the joints are crappy, there are bubbles galore, i used weld on #4

Only water movement I could think of for such a small tank would be air-based, but you'd need a tiny air pump and would probably still have to restrict the air.

That, or find the tiniest powerhead around, that can be used inline outside the tank, then drill 2 holes, pop in some short pieces of rigid airline tubing then run silicone airline tubing to the pump.

I'd also make a small lid to try and cut down evap.

Get an airpump and some rigid tubing. Aim the tubing at the surface, but don't put it in the water. It should be enough to break the surface tension.

Also, the Azoo Palmlight would be perfect fo rthat tank. They're about 3" and come with a 6700k 7w PC.

The only downside: the bulb can't be replaced. They run about $10-$15.

lg_11937_21196P.jpg

5403piconewlight.JPG

5403picofrags1.JPG

That is tiny! I'm impressed. hehehe

You could probably hook up some type of pulley system with a paddle wheel that uses a rubber band to a modified computer fan. Or just use a turkey baster once an hour for the rest of your life. ;)

i'm telling ya 3 BRINE shrimp will make that water flow lol jmt, that light would be perfect, LED's would be cool but I honestly don't trust LED's spectrum yet. and so far the natural light through the window during the day is less than impressive on overcast days

you could hook up a really small inline pump and hook a branch of the outlet back to the inlet with only a really small choked down tube going back in. May heat up too much though. Maybe a solar driven paddlewheel would work.

Wow... I didn't really think anyone would try going this small.

Very cute, nice work! I've got lots of scraps myself, maybe I'll make a 1x1x1" Pico.. Hmm.. That would break out to about .0043gal. LOL!

I wish you luck with your Pico.

-J

Archived