Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

small particles clouding my tank

BRIANSTINYREEF

BRIANSTINYREEF

my tank is one month old and i have a small powerhead in the tank howver it keeps pushing around small pieces of varous stuff that has fallen off the rock. littel white stuff small particles that grew on rock. how do i keep a nice clean tank . my rock keeps getting stuff on it each day i dont like messy.lol

harbingerofthefish

I noticed on your other post about the bonsai reef idea. Seen it. Do you have the same set-up with the spray bar on a timer?

If so your always gonna hve something settle then shoot back up with the current. Have you contacted...about the situation. maybe he can give you an answer.

BRIANSTINYREEF

yes i contacted him. im looking for a low maint. tank he plucks algae out of his tank wiht tweezers each friday lol not my kind of guy. the spray bar covers some sand and even if u raise it up on ich its nice the power head is hidden however u lack flow on the bottom and get excess algae build up on sand. as well,as u said it keeps shooting it back up! lol looks good but the idea is a bust lol ripping it apart tomm. lol

What's in your clean-up crew? Most of that stuff is probably food for somebody. A good diverse snail population will probably help get rid of most of it.

I had stuff settling all over my tank for a while when I first set it up. It's pretty much gone now, at almost 3 months old. I don't know if it's because I've added more clean-up crew or because that stuff just goes away. Probably some combination of both.

If you have a lot of fine particulate matter that won't settle down, maybe some filter feeders will help. How's your feather duster and fanworm population?

EDIT: OK, I just noticed your signature. Yeah, consider adding some more snails. :)

EDIT #2: I should have said, more kinds of snails! :blush:

printerdown01

Blue legs didn't seem to eat tiny particles in my tank at all! In fact they didn't eat much at all. Pods and worms are pretty good at eating ditritus that comes off LR, but since you have a new tank I don't know what to tell ya'. -sorry. Bumble bees seem to be pretty good at cleaning up ditritus in my tank -WHEN they get to it... LOL. Sometimes they are REALLY active, sometimes they won't move for 3 days. -go fig.

Archived