Top Shelf Aquatics

IPSF

cpreefguy

Haven't tried it myself but I've heard great things about IPSF in general. Have you gotten your live rock yet? If not, you might want to see what comes on that before spending money on a detrivore kit. Also, most LR suppliers will throw in live sand for cheap, so that might be a better way to go.

OTOH if your LR is pretty barren it's probably not a bad idea. Their 9 for $99 sounds like a better deal though. Maybe someone who knows what the heck they're talking about can correct me. :)

Thanks for the reply, I haven't bought anything for it yet, I live in San Antonio and I'm going to Aquarium World ( this place is as big as a grocery store!) in Houston this weekend and see if they will sell me some live rock and live sand from their established tanks. So, if I get live rock and live sand from an established tank, I likely wouldn't need to buy the live sand activator?

You're, what, 2 hours away from the Gulf? I think I'd drive to the beach and get a bucket of nice wet sand before I spent money to have some wet sand mailed to me from Hawai'i, unless you're deliberately trying to build an Indo-Pacific biotope.

Just stay away from the refineries! ;)

They do still have places in Texas without refineries, don't they? ???

Whoops, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, if you get that stuff then you probably don't need to bother with live sand activator (if your sand is already live, there's no need to "activate" it). Certainly you should wait until you get an idea of what you've got living in your tank from your LR and LS before spending money on anything else. Give it at least until it cycles and stuff starts crawling out to say hello. :) Then you can start thinking about whether your little critter population is sufficiently diverse.

Too bad about the beach option. I'd still be sorely tempted, but the closest beach to me is Lake Erie (and I'd have to really think about whether I'd want sand from there in my FW tank... no, actually, I don't have to think about that at all :x).

Archived