SaltCritters.com

Replacement for Nano Cube ballast

Vnnie

Alright, I was at Lowes today and was looking through their lights and came across a 30w bulb so I decided to pick it up and give it a try. On the circuit board I don't see and A1 A2 A3 A4 (got thoes from th $3 ballast thread) All I see is F1 F1 on one side, then F2 F2 on the other side. Everything else looks the same so I'm guessing one side is pos and the other is neg or would there be a pos and neg on each side?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

My guess would be that f1 would would power one end of the tube and f2 would power the other. Try it in order left to right from ballast to bulb. If it does not fire, immediately cut power and try a different sequence. Trail and error worked for me.

ok iam a littel confused on this(sorry to hijack)

so the ballest in the light bulb lets fire a PC without the need to bye an expensive hood for a tank or upgrade to a new light?(sorry iam just not vary good at this stuff)is there a page somware that has more on this or directions on how to do it for dummies?

thanks!

The hood is just what holds the lights in place, the ballasts are what powers the lights. As long as the lights are wired up right to the ballast, and they are compatiable, then the bulb will fire. I'm sure you could fire any 4 pin bulb like a VHO with one of these ballasts as long as its wired corectly.

I've looked for more info on this, but all I could find is how to get to the ballast, then trial and error with the wires until they are in the right order. How you mount the light and what to is completly up to you. I ended up ordering 2 28w-32w PC bulbs and the 4pin receivers from hellolights.com

Well I finally got my two PC bulbs in from hellolights.com today and wired up my ballast and the bulb fired almost instantly the first try :) Tomorrow I'm going to make a hood to hold the lights.

For the ballasts I used a Sylvania 30w Bulb to power one light. I chose this light because it was right inbetween the 28w/32w range that the PC bulbs came in. Anyways, here is a pic of how I wired it up to the bulb to test it. The two middle wires go to the two middle connectors on the endcap ( http://www.hellolights.com/pcentypbas.html ) the the two outter wires go to the outter positions on the endcap. Well here is the pic of the wiring and one of the light turned on.

ballast01.jpg

ballast02.jpg

I got the bulb at Lowes but HD should have it too. It was $8.xx, little more than I wanted to spend but it was the perfect watt for the bulbs I wanted to get for my tank.

Thought I've give an update on my DIY ballasts. I finally got around to wiring up the second ballast and it fired up the bulb instantly. I used double sided tape to hold them on a piece of acrylic just for now until I build a hood for the tank to see what it would look like. The bulbs have been running for about 3 hours now and no problems at all. The bulbs are actually hotter than the ballasts are so they are running pretty cool :) So far I'm very pleased with the PC bulbs and these ballasts although I wish I could have found the bulbs used for the ballasts a little cheaper. Anyways, here is the pic. The bulbs go from front to back:

Actinic/10k Actinic/Actinic

ballast03.jpg

Just remember, if your running a "reef" tank, the power compact bulbs should be replaced within 1 year as the color spectrum shifts causing algae blooms and not as much benificial spectrum for corals. see other articles for important info on why.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this sounds too good to be true!

you guys are using the circular circuitboard (=ballast from the store bought bulb with attached base) to light up tank lights in similar Wattage?

so in essence, I could get a 60W store bought bulb...take out the base circuit board..hook it up to my aquapod12g endcaps (removing the bulky ballast originally came with the hood) and purchase 65W PC bulbs for my tank and they should light up no problem?

will it effect the wavelength output at all? if this does work...then why are these ballast that came with the hood so damn big and bulky..taking up so much space and producing so much heat?

questions!! I need answers!!

nano

• 9 months later...

I've been away for a while but I thought I'd update this post a little bit in case anyone still wants this info. Here is a diagram I made to help explain the wiring. It's quite easy. Before you completely dismantle the old bulb, keep track of which wires to to the power supply and which to to the bulb and rewire the new bulb the same way. You may have to try different combinations of wires going to the bulb. Hope this helps!

post-1154-1166575730_thumb.jpg

If i got a ballast that is, say 48W, could i wire two 24W bulbs in parallel?

I believe you would need to wire them in series not parallel although I'm not sure if it will work. Here is a diagram of how I think you need to wire the bulbs. If anyone knows if this is right or wrong, please let us know.

post-1154-1166575897_thumb.jpg

On a side note, these ballasts also work to overdrive bulbs but do so at your own risk!

In response to some comments, a big reason these ballasts are so cheap and other PC ballasts are so much more expensive is that these ballasts are massed produced in huge numbers now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
The Propagator
my 13w bulbs only have two wires going into the bulb. any ideas?

Twist the same two corresponding wires together. Solder on a lead from the two or use electrical tape.

IE take the same two from one side.. twist them together. Take the same two from the other side..twist them together. When your done you should have made two in to one on each opposing side.

;)

One side note here though guys....

Hello lights 13w GX23 based dual tube PC bulbs ALL must be ran from a magnetic ballast.

This ballast won't work for those bulb types.

ANY bulb with a GX23 base must be ran from a magnetic ballast.

This is because the starter is built into the base. 20 watt magnatek NO ballasts for $5 something a piece from HD will light 1x 13w or 9 watt or 2 x 9 watt.

Those 13w ( and I believe the 9 watt as well) DIY bulb ballast kits they sell are all GX23 based bulbs.

If you want a ballast with end caps set up to run two bulbs buy a PC shop light with dual bulbs.

Less head ache that way but a little more costly.

And yes you can run two bulbs from one ballast if the ballast your trying to run is strong enough but you have to wire them in series (Like the second diagram shown earlier) not parallel.

;)

• 2 months later...

Vinnie,

I'm looking at this as a fix for a 24W fixture that got wet a while back. I have a question for you, In your wiring diagram for one bulb your power leads are connected to your NC hood. Do you know what kind of power is required? Is is straight AC120 to those two leads, or are you powering these balasts with a power supply of some sort?

• 2 years later...
Ok this is an old thread but I live in the UK and want to upgrade my 12g D-D nano to 96w.

Question is will this work:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/45w-Blue-Spectrum-64...=item2c53102c34

Thanks

The bulb appears much too large to fit in the canopy. Also, a 6400 K is great for plants in a freshwater system, but I don't think it is a desirable spectrum for a reef tank. However, it would be inexpensive to wire it up since it would use a standard incandescent bulb socket with no ballast.

The bulb appears much too large to fit in the canopy. Also, a 6400 K is great for plants in a freshwater system, but I don't think it is a desirable spectrum for a reef tank. However, it would be inexpensive to wire it up since it would use a standard incandescent bulb socket with no ballast.

No sorry you have the wrong end of the stick. I only want to use the ballast out of it to run my 2 x 24w PC. I presume it has a ballast within the bulb case as show in the other energy saving bulbs in this thread?

Archived