Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SPS corals in 12 JBJ nano cube deluxe...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey reefers,

Just wanted to give you an update on my SPS tank and my crocea clam. Back in January 05, I decided to push the envelope on what all reefers said would be a certain doom; SPS corals under PC lighting and in a 12 gallon cube...

Well, here I am 7 months later with all my SPS corals and clam living. I wanted to share pictures with you of my tank...

I took several angle pictures to give you the best view possible. I hope you guys and gals enjoy them and if you have questions feel free to chime in...

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

9pyyw9.jpg

9pz253.jpg

9pz2hg.jpg

9pz2te.jpg

9pz344.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

do you see a lot of growth? I will be doing a SPS nc12 with SCWD, but it would be nice to get the hood on and not have to run the halide pendant.

how many watts of PC is that? 4x24?

That is one sweet tank. Have you noticed any issues mixing sps, lps and softies in the same tank? I was about to add some SPS to my tank before I read some FAQs on Wetwebmedia recommending against it.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Gil,

For that particular reason, I have two tanks; one has SPS corals only and the other one has just LPS corals.

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

For all that have asked what's inside the hood, I thought I'd take a picture of the engine; I run four 24 watt PC and one 13 watt fuge PC. Two of the bulbs are 50/50 JBJ lights while the other two are Realux true actinics... The fuge is 6,500 K daylight...

Mike

9qctxg.jpg

9qcu39.jpg

runs hot

how hot before the ICA? I could go look at the other thread you made about the ICA... but I am in a lazy mood right now and I am going to bed. :P

Also, do you think you've had a lot of SPS growth? Those lights alone (as opposed to feeding) wouldn't support that clam, would it? I think I am going to do the halide, but this made me think a bit about the PC potential. I love the growth I have with halides and I didn't know how far behind PCs are.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yes it runs hot... And the ICA unit does help out a lot, but it's not like a true chiller...

My reefkeeper turns on the ICA unit when my tank reaches 77.5 degrees and shuts it off when it get 75.5 degrees...

What I've seen is the temp get as low as 74 degrees in the morning and run as hot as 85.5 degrees...

I have noticed that once the last light turns off around 7pm the tank will be at about 85 degrees in the main tank, in the sump I get one degree higher 86 degrees, mainly becuase here is where the pump is located and is giving heat...

It clearly takes the ICA unit about 1.5 hours to drive down the temp just one degree. At about 3am in the morning the ICA unit has driven the tank down to 75.5 where it then is shut off...

But clearly the unit is unique in what it does and doesn't do... I am happy with it since there is no chiller in the market that will work with the cubes...

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are some added pictures of the reefkeeper to illustrate how gradually the ICA unit brings down the temp of the water; I have the probe in the main tank and the other picture of the temp gauge on the top of the hood is placed in my sump; which has the pumps running.

Mike

9qel3c.jpg

9qel9k.jpg

absolutely beautiful tank! i have a stock lighting nc 12 and i have green digi finger coral growing like a weed. i ve had it for over 12 months and have about 5 frags of it already.

anyway mike, great nc. thanks for showing.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Alex,

My SPS haven't grown too much, very little and that's good since my tank is only 12 gallons. My birdsnet coral however, has grown a noticeable bunch...

I have however, seen the polyps extend out everyday like when I first purchased them; they were in Metal Halide and looked awesome.

It took about 1 full month for them to adapt and show the same extensions.

I hope I got it right this time; any other questions just chime in..

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Here is an added picture of my SPS tank a little further back, helps to show the true size of a nano cube...

Mike

9r1xra.jpg

I love your tank... something to compete with now!:P

Did you buy colonies or frags? I have a bunch of frags of SPS, LPS, and softies after we had a MASOTC meet yesterday. I am wondering how funny it will look before it all grows over (just a bunch of frags sticking out of one rock).

Also, why don't you surface skim? Do you top off yourself or auto top off. Feel free to direct me to a link where you set up this tank if that would answer these redundant questions!

Originally posted by mikeguerrero

Hey Reefers,

Here is an added picture of my SPS tank a little further back, helps to show the true size of a nano cube...

Mike

9r1xra.jpg

JBJ needs to pay you and replace the current print on their boxes with that picute! Absolutely gorgeous tank!

Originally posted by alexwbush

^if it were stock they could ;)

that picture would be just as bad on the box as the one they have now otherwise

this is true! but i still think it looks better then whats on the box... Dude, Mike you're a reef building machine! I have 1 orange ricordia, but yours look look a lot better then mine! your blastos look killer too! How do you take such clear pics, what the secret, mine are all blurry!!! :(

bonecrusher71

Hey Mike nice tank ive been noticing a lot of people are using pc lighting instead of MH looks like anew trend has developed

ive actually have 3 pieces of sps in my 15g with 64w of lighting(pc)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Bones,

Thanks for the complement on my tank; I really enjoy reef building a lot. As a matter of fact take a sneak peek at http://www.nanotank.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1533 I took first prize in the Summer tank of the month contest. You guys/gals might be impressed.

Also regarding PC lighting instead of MH, it's just more afordable and easier to compact into the closing of the cube hood. Thanks to Chris at nanocustoms for modding me out and getting me the ICA to keep me cool.

Mike

bonecrusher71

Hey Mike i forget the guys name but i think he`s from asia and has a

SPS tank with PC lighting only and has a lot of growth and some really nice pictures he`s in one of these threds not sure witch one though but anyways hes an inspiration to all us nano reefers.

hands down!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks Bones,

To all my nano supporters, I'm glad I got the opportunity to push the envelope with SPS corals. We hear a lot of if this than that; I'm a psychologist by career and really believe in the scientific method to testing; if I don't try I'll never really know....

Mike

• 14 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
On 8/23/2019 at 1:24 AM, NanoAndy said:

This tank still going ? Nicely done by the way 

Who would ever have thought, that I would start my own small business for nano-sized aquariums?  Heat was the number one killer of SPS in nano aquariums, well my new systems have solved that riddle and placed me on the map to secure a niche for SPS in nano-sized tanks....

I can't wait to share that with everyone here on nano-reef.....

MG

• Like 1