Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Library, Nano-Reef's Most Popular DIY's

steelhealr

Steel, I do not want to jack this thread and depending on your answer I may just go start a new one. I really want to add an external fuge to my nano....wanted to research if anyone has drilled the back of the nano's, say in chamber 2 or 3 for outflow and then plumb back into the original return somehow. I have no idea if this would even work, and am having crap luck finding ANY threads that really discuss drilling these babies, other than Tigah's inside drilling which I read. I guess my question is have you ran across ANY threads which may discuss what I'm thinking of doing? If I can't find any info I think I'm going to just upgrade to a custom built tank , slightly larger with overflows and drilled for an external (in cabinet) fuge, somthing I can use my same lighting and other equipment on would be my choice, something like 24 deep, 20 high and 20 wide, which is roughly 42 gallons and would be able to use my same lighting, this is pretty mcuh a softie tank, with a few SPS's.

Please let me know if you stumble or stumbled across anything similar, thanks in advance SH.

RL

Reeflogic....I'll see if I can help out. I will say one thing...the few threads I've seen posted by people attempting to drill out the back of their NC's ended up with shattered tanks (I've read two threads on this somewhere....one I remember was a 12). I'll say one thing, I don't think it's safe with the old 24G NC. I think that would really be pushing the envelope. Seeing that the glass on a pre-2006 is thin, drilling out the back might be too risky IMO.

I don't see why you couldn't build one tho' if you were willing to risk it and test run it with FW in a safe place. Couldn't you just do one hole thru the glass and the return could be plumbed thru the hood? a cutout?. I'll see if I can find something. It would be a great add on here if you could. Certainly, if you had the resources, a custom tank is ALWAYS nice. LOL. SH

Yeah SH, I found a few that said they cracked / shattered. I think my 24 NC just became a tank raised seahorsie tank :) I am going to check into having the acrylic tank made. Will keep you posted! Sorry again to spam on a very important thread, probably should have PM'd. Keep up the great work.

Nah..it's all good. Acryllic holds it's value and I hear you can drill almost anything you want with it. Start a thread on it when you are up and running. SH

• 2 weeks later...

Keep add to these this thread just went straight to the top of my fav. list

I agree with the comment that Chris and them should stick this up by the surveys and stuff in the DIY thread for ever.

....and people should still post suggestions here as to what to add. I try to peruse but, like most people here, I'm not an expert in every aread of reefing. SH

I've tried to only include DIY's that are not only well written/thought out but also documented well with photos. Unfortunately, when the N-R website changed over to the new design/software, many of the DIY'ers have not returned to their threads to edit and reproduce their photos. SH

• 5 months later...

How about that one guy's topic on replacing NanoCube ballasts... I can't remember his name... hmmm... j/k

It's in my sig. I just thought it would be helpful and I will be doing the mod again to another aquarium I have, so there will be updated instructions with photos. You don't have to add it if you don't want to.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
rockerpeller

awesome stickied thread! have used a couple ideas off this and hope to post some pics up soon. keep adding great ideas to this thread guys. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think its time to update a lot of these links. Tons of them are missing pictures now, which make them hard to follow. Especially the ones that say, do it like this: ...... and thats all you see.... lol

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...