Top Shelf Aquatics

finaly !! my 20 L

dhoffroad

is this tank drilled? i'm really interested in how you did your overflow and plumbing if you didn't drill the tank :D

btw awesome tank! i can't wait to see before and after growth pics later on :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no it's not drilled it is "ran" by a DIY HOB overflow if you look back on the last page (page 5) there is a FTS on the first post of the page you can see the overflow box and PVC U tubes in the upper right hand corner...

I'm glad you like it.....yea I can't wait to get some more stuff and let all the GROWTH happen...

• 1 month later...

well I figured I'd post in my own thread for my 1,000 th post so I guess this is basicly a "bump"...LOL....

nothing new to add except I have a couple SPS peices "reserved" and they should be shipping in a bout a week, so when they get here I'll post pics then...

oh yea this weekend I'm gona scrape the coraline off the back glass I've decided to go with the "clean" back look since the coraline that is on the back glass looks more blue than purple my "blue SPS" are just blending in with the background and I did'nt get into SPS to have them just blend in...LOL.. so I'll prob post some before scraping and after scraping pics

Haha, cool. I would have had it along time ago if i didnt change names (was too stupid to just ask if i could change it, lol)

I wish i went with a black background also, the blue makes all of my SPS colors look more bland.

a couple more and youll be ther with your "new" name...LOL..

yea my background is actualy a dark blue I wanted something with a little more color than black but the good thing about it is it's the good ole aquarium background paper and not painted so I can always EASLY change it if I want to go to black...

well the pics I think are when they were first fraged and he is waiting till they are nice and encrusted to make sure they will ship good with out being broken off and beat up...I decided to order from "mattie" cause he had a frag that I've wanted ever since I seen pics of your german blue so now I'll have one myself hopefully it will look as nice as the pic I seen of yours a while back. this one was actualy my "second choice" the first choice was sold before I made my mind up...anyway this is what I'm getting

german blue monti

montidigiblue102020.jpg

blue tip acro

bluetipacro103105.jpg

tri color acro

acrotri1001.jpg

pink birdsnest

birdnestpink1001.jpg

Sweet!!! GB is a great coral (especially for a Monti). Mine colored up nicely recently and is starting to grown like a weed again!

2) looks like A. nana

3) looks like A. valida

4) is Seriatopora hystrix...of course:)

Those will do great in your system!

yea I can't wait to get them I want to look at some NEW STICKS...LOL...

one more thing I can't wait for is my wife is getting me a OM Squirt but I may have to wait a little closer to christmas to get to hook it up, I plan on leaving the two outlets that are currently on the CLS there and putting the other two out of the front corners then the flow will come from all 4 corners....

10" Red Devil

Hey Dh,

I have that same coral your calling German blue (Got a frag from a local reefer), and it is like a purply blue, not white like that, is that by any chance bleached out? Just wanted to give you a freindly warning in case your paying for these.

-Peace

yea it kinda depends on the light and what not..the "base" can go from brown to white (white in high light and brown in lower light) and the polyps are usualy a blueish purple....I've looked at other pics of frags from him and they have the "purple" tinge to the polyps. I just think that the pic dos'nt show it, (sorry mattie but some of the pics dont' do the corals "justice") so I don't think that it's bleached. besides that pic (and the others) are prob close to a month old...he seems prety cool about shipping out ONLY a HEALTHY peice that he thinks will ship good and not just throw a frag in a bag and ship it.

but thanks for havin my back, I appreciate it...

actualy the only hard part of scrapin it off was trying to get down behind the rocks...I did prety good and only "fragged" one tiny tip off of the tricolor...oh yea ther are still a couple xenia stalks on the glass (left side) but they will come off when I get some rubble to attach them to so I can take them to the LFS for credit....

no I'm getting the frags from a guy named Matthew..member name here is mattie....here is his site www.reef-care.com

• 2 weeks later...

got new frags !!!!

man I think I'm starting to turn this tank into a SPS DOMINATED tank instead of a " mixed reef "...LOL

birdsnest128.jpg

bluetip128.jpg

germanblue128.jpg

the orange digi is'nt new and the frag that looks bleached well it is, it did'nt make the shipping so well...(bad heat packs)

frags128.jpg

NICE!

Finally got the GPB monti! The nana and bird's will do great and start growing like crazy.

Keep the bleached one the sand for a while....until you start to get some coloring, even browning. Then move it up!

When the SPS bug bites....it bites hard doesn't it? ;)

yea I plan on leavin the bleached guy there to see if it will pull thru the heat packs did'nt hold up thru shipping and the water got to 62.7 deg in the bags so well have to see what happens with it...

yea the " SPS bug" packs one hell of a punch...I've been thinkin about making a new light with mabyh some T5 or VHO's to help spread the light a little more out the sides to "open up" my SPS area...LOL...

yea the frags are doing good, the bleached guy's showing more PE every day, so that's a good sign...

Sebea, I replied to your PM a few min ago...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dhoffroad,

How long did it take until you started seeing the coralline from initial setup (I just added cured rock to my tank a couple days ago)?

I have a Phoenix 14K. Looks like the growth is pretty good.

Do you have to add the B-Ionic every day, and did you up the dosage with more SPS going into that tank?

Aussie, Thanks....

robitreef, I can't totaly remember how long it took maby a couple months for the coraline to realy kick in ?? I'm adding 15mil (each) of B-ionic daily. with some of the growth I prob need to up it a little but honestly I've been slacking on tank maintnance and hav'nt tested things for a while so I've just been keeping with what I've been doing...

• 4 weeks later...

Cool tank dhoffroad! Do you run any carbon or anything in the canister filter? So, for filtration it's just the skimmer, live rock/sand, and the filter pads?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Archived