Top Shelf Aquatics

finaly !! my 20 L

dhoffroad

10" don't worry about jackin my thread or not hell I don't care..LOL..

no I'm not running the AC fuge. I'm fuge less and just skimmin away.

man I don't know what your prob is with heat as for the thermometers being off well having one off is one thing but TWO well that's a little hard...

so what dose your temp get to anyway ? dose it cool down when the lights are off ? how long are you keeping your MH on for ?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The temp gets to almost 84F when the lights are on. When the lights are off the tank will drop down to about 82.3-82.5 with the ambient temp at 74F (AC must always be on unless the outside temp is 70 or below, eyiyi!).

Per recommendation of OTF the halide is on for 7hrs.

although 82.5 is'nt "ideal" you could probably be ok if you were to be able to keep it there without the 2 deg jump...it may be easier on you to just deal with keepin it at the "night time temp" instead of trying to lower the "overtall" temp....

or you could always put up the $$ and get a chiller and say F-it...LOL...

Yeah buying a chiller would be great but the cheapest one is 300 bones, yikes! Plus they are hella ugly and one would probably not fit in my already cramped ass stand. Well I have traded in my old 2x100 watt visi-therm heters for 2x150watt (since the evaporative cooling just got a whole lot more powerful) and bought a small utility fan to blow on the sump. Will let you know how it fairs. Yeah I guess according to shimek and borneman 82-84 is a more ideal temp for sps. Will let you know how the fans & upgraded heaters workout.

Actually the next big spendy item was going to be a reactor, but now after researching them, it seems for our size tank that maybe the 2pt additives are about the same amount of hassle as a reactor.

took a couple new pics this morning...

these first two are a growth comp. of my blue prostrata/mili (not sure which one yet) the first pic was taken like 3 weeks ago and the second this morning. so since I'm new to SPS is this normal growth or am I just getting lucky ? LOL...actualy all my SPS are showing good growth but this one is the most noticeable since it is the smallest piece...

pros825.jpg

pros915.jpg

and just because here is a full tank shot...

fts915.jpg

THANKS guys/gals...

as for a "centerpiece" well I'd rather have a bunch of nice pieces before just one totaly sweet piece...but if I find something that I can afford I shurly will get it...LOL...

• 2 weeks later...

so I get to do my first SPS fraggin today :)...I wish it was on diff terms but the "rescued" piece is having probs so I'm gona frag off what is still good and hopefully save what I can...here is a pic of what I'm talkin about and FWIW I don't see any red bugs or signs of acro FW....when I got the piece there were two little spots that were white but I figured it was because it was laying down on some rock and that was where it was touching the rock but since it has spread...anyway just a little update...

badspot2.jpg

Could it be: 1) flow 2) lighting or shading or 3) any parameter swings lately?

Otherwise, frag those 2 tips.....they've got new terminal polyps on them so you should be good to go.

yea at this point I think fragin those two tips is what needs to happen the discoloration is just spreading....

well think I could use a little more flow in my tank but it's not bad , it's not a shading issue but since it was laying with that side down at the LFS I got it from and standing up in my tank maby it has something to do with "too much" light?...no swings lately everything seems prety good...this is the only piece having probs EVERYTHING else is doing great "growing like weeds"..LOL..

I bet it was the laying down in the sand that did it. I've had a few pieces fall and sit for a couple days and they get white like that on the underside.

Frag it!

• 4 weeks later...

JayReefer....Thanks....as for drilling well If I had to do it again I'd probably go and drill it and do like onthefly did to his and have a "smaller" overflow off the back side and not the bottom (like the normal ones)

well I took a couple more pics this morning so here you go not too much has changed since the last pics except for a little growth....

END SHOT

101805.jpg

SPS AREA

1018053.jpg

BLUE PROSTRATA all the "branches" are at like 1" long now growing great

1018055.jpg

PROSTRTA AND TRICOLOR

1018056.jpg

GREEN ACRO not very green just has a slight green tinge to it

1018057.jpg

SIX LINE AND RICS

1018054.jpg

Looking Awesome DH!!!!

I wish I knew why I was loosing color???

We'll see if the zeo brings things around....

BTW...are you running a top over the tank?

Hard to tell......

But I'm not happy with the way it looks. It is only certain frags and it is not species specific. I have montis that are doing great and some that look aweful...I have acros that look very "bland" while others (like the loisettae) that are "popping" with color.

Weird!!!

Cam barr, Thanks

OTF......you know if the loisettae makes your tank look bad you could always pack it up and send it to me. I think I can handle how it makes MY tank look....LOL...

the only piece in my tank I'm a little dissapointed with is my "bonzi" (purple with bright green polyp) the purple looks way "bland" not at all like it was in the begining. but who knows maby it will change up all the "new" growth looks nicer than the "original" stuff that is under it...

Archived