ReefCleaners.org

$10...sure why not.

Chase

I picked up a few things at my LFS for $10 a peice. This guy Im not sure about.

Misc_124.jpg

Playing with setting on my camera got these to diffrent looking shots. Its not quite as open, as it was at the LFS.

Misc_123.jpg

No long stinging tentacles. It justs smacks whatever touches it. I'd wager that an acropora could kick its ass w/out much of a problem, though. :P I have a frag of it in my tank that's been in here for a long time. Really is an interesting coral, IMO. Just give it some room. It'll sting like any other good SPS. :) Hope you have good luck w/ it!

Kogut: You would DEFINATLEY lose that wager my friend. ;)

Hydnopora takes back seat only to fire coral. It will kill Galaxia, hammers, tortch, frogspawn, ACROPORA, ricordea, anemones.

Chase

It is truely one evil coral but as stated does not produce any sweepers.

It encrust a nice little patch before it sprouts upwards though so give it soe growing room in that nature as well.

Your species of Hydnopora looks like Hydnopora Ridgada sp. Even more powerfull a sting too. I could be wrong about the ridgada thing though? DEfinately Hydnopora spiecies though.

Yea looks just like mine. I havent seen any sweepers but hed a acro frag fall on him, I now have a nice little acro skeleton. one of my favorite corals tho. mine is growing at a moderate pace.

Yeah...They definitely have a good reach, and an aggressive sting.

No reach at all since they do not produce long sweeper tenticles.

The only reach they have are in the directions they grow in realy.

Heh.. FM, why post if you don't know? They have QUITE the long reach, and will grab and kill other corals.

THIS SPECIES DOSE NOT PRODUCE SWEEPERS. They have not in my tank that is. light or no light it hasnt produced any sweepers.

Actually, I think you're both right. I've never seen Hydnophora Rigida send out anything, but I have heard & seen enough others that do.

Last post on 1st page of this thread shows such an attack: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?p=47028

Seems that the more encrusting forms are more prone to attacking.

Even if the one the OP has isn't one known to attack like this, he should make sure it's anchored well and has no chance of getting knocked down into any other corals.

It's a H. Rigida, they don't produce sweepers, but will keel anything and I mean anything they touch. I have found that out to my painful chagrin. Millepora is subject that death warrant as well.

audiocontrol

I have the same damn species, about 7 inches tall by 4 inches wide. The only so-called "sweepers" it has are about 2mm long and elongate during nite time....nothing to get worked up about.

I guess I'm a total moron, eh FM? Seriously...Relax. And what's with the insults? What'd I ever do to you? You just hate that someone knows more than you? I've personally seen Hydnopora reach 4-5" and completely wrap neighboring SPS colonies. It CAN have a far reach!

Do we need a "DUH" here? :rolleyes:

"Heh.. FM, why post if you don't know? They have QUITE the long reach, and will grab and kill other corals.

"

Hey pot! Dont call the kettle black.

The rest ha salready been prooven.

Tootles.

Archived