ReefCleaners.org

Shao-lin's 24g nanocube

shao-lin nano

Let me ammend my discussion. I just remembered the acrylic cover for the lights, and you say there is a vent above the lights. In that case, you want the light compartment (enclosed by the acrylic cover) to have a negative pressure with respect to the rest of the canopy (adjacent to the water). That will keep the heat in the light compartment from going into the canopy and put it straight outside through its vent in the top of the hood. In this case, it is best to blow into the canopy (outside the light compartment) with the fans. If there are fans in the light compartment, it is best to have them blowing out of the top of the canopy. If the rest of the canopy is negative with respect to the light compartment, the hot air will migrate into the main canopy, putting it closer to the water.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umm, yeah - fans for venting heat from lights should be at the top.

most canopys can exhaust heat fairly well, and using an exhaust fan will not cause any difference in tank water temperature - due to the nano-cube's very tight-fitting hood - an exhaust in addition to the stock exhaust fans will probably be needed when running a halide.

I added 2.5" to the hood height to keep the halide-heated air further from the water surface - so I will be trying over the weekend to run mine w/o any extra fan as I can feel the air coming out of my added exhaust fan is cold... I'd rather not have more evaporation as right now I can go two weeks without re-filling my top-off resevoir.

A fan blowing into the hood will not cool as efficiently as a fan blowing out; however, if you have a fan pulling outside air aimed at the water's surface, you will drop the tank temperature a few degrees through evaporation (depending on how humid the surrounding air is...) This will also drive hot air out - so you would not need an exhaust fan in this case.

Just what I've found from running 500W of halides over a 72-gallon, 250W over a 30-gallon, and now 70W over a 24..... but hey, what good is experience :|

Thanks MadTownMax. How did you raise your hood? Have any pictures? Let me know how your experiment turns out. I'm assuming this is a JBJ 24g nano? Is that the 70W? What are your thoughts on a 150W?

I've been doing some browsing for a low profile reflector for the MH like what Shao-lin has, but I can't find it. Where can I get one, or did you make it, Shao-lin? If so, what from?

Thanks for the explaination of the fan's ability to pull and push air Philtur...it makes total sense.

The MH reflector came as a kit from AquaBuys (which came with a 10k bulb which I didn't like)...I like it because it has an integrated UV glass clip but don't like the spotlight effect it has. Since the bulb is already so close to the water and the curvature of the reflector makes it not diffuse the light in the tank that well. The reflector I used for the rest of the lights is just cut from a sheet of mirror finished 2x2ft aluminum reflector from marinedepot. I've seen nanocustoms MH reflector (not sure if they sell it individually)...it has much less of a curve and looks like it'll help diffuse the light better. Then there's Dr. Lamps. I like the 14k bulb that is included in the kit but do not like the fact that it does not have an integrated UV glass holder...on a friends tank I had to custom make the clips.

No problem Mad...the clip that came with the LampDr was a paper clip, lol. It's the kind that's used to hold a thick stack of paper-at least the one I saw.

So I've added to my list of dry goods currently being used and removed some from my wishlist.

I just got my NanoBob skimmer and it is amazing...to notch quality. Double thumbs up! I also just ordered a Reef Keeper! Cant wait to play with that too and my FishBowl Innovation moonlight is in the mail too.

You will love the moonlights from fishbowl. Another top notch product. I have had them for almost a month now and to watch the different phases of the moon is pretty awesome. What all do you have that will be hooked up to the reefkeeper? I want details man! Haha.

• 3 weeks later...
shao-lin nano

Okay, after much thought I decided to cut the door to my NanoCube stand to mount my ReefKeeper. I've seen others do it and liked the look, plus the RK is designed to be rear mounted anyway so why not?

All I used was a drill, jig saw, black silicone, masking tape, and a screw driver.

RK-1.jpg

RK-2.jpg

RK-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
shao-lin nano

I have 4 sets of lights, evap cooling fans on the lid, and heater hooked up to the ReefKeeper. At first I thought the 8 ports wouldn't be enough but I haven't maxed out on them yet...I'm sure I'll figure out a way to sooner or later. Maybe I'll hook up some powerheads to the RK and get some more random current. The RK and nanoBob's skimmer has to be the 2 best purchases I've made for my tank...actually everything I've got for my tank as far as equipment goes have been awsome.

I have yet to install the fishbowl moonlights. Been lazy.

I removed the 2 flare nozzels running to the front of my tank. I had too much flow for the surface skimmer and decided that the reduction in flow is better than the surface scum building at the display's water level.

Once I borrow my friends good camera I'll update with some tank shots of corals.

Did your tank finally break? What's going on with the non-update? Bump.

If my tank break I'll bring my hammer to your place and finish off your tank as well. It'll be murder, suicide! :angry:

So no more extra flow? Hmmm.... well im glad I haven't gotten around to that mod yet then. I was going to do what you did with yours. I'm glad I didn't now. So now you just have the one pump in the stock location then? You have a MJ 900 right? How are you feeling about less flow in there?

Jordan

shao-lin nano

I have a MJ1200 in the stock position powering the hydor. I also have the return spout of the fluval 202 rated at 180gph but with head loss maybe half that? I had a miniJet 606 for the front nozzels so it wasn't that much extra flow but enough to overcome the surface skimmer.

I really enjoyed the amount of flow before but surface skimming wasn't working so even with the upgraded lights, my corals weren't seeing the full benefit of 196 combined watts.

My corals still look the same so I don't think removing the extra flow had any adverse effect.

You might still want to do the extra flow mod if you're only running one pump in the stock position Jordan. Maybe dual MJ900s?

shao-lin nano

The MH is from AquaBuys on Ebay. It came with a Ushio 10K but I switched it out with a 20K Aqualine (I think) from Nanocustoms.

your pink zoas are awesome, exacly like mine...i could never get them to grow for the life of me. stupid pinks. I have to know....what is the round hard coral you have on the bottom in the sand...right hand side?

shao-lin nano

hey audio, I'm not sure which corals you're refering to. But the corals on the bottom right on the sand are blastos...at least they are in my FTS showing the light period. My tank gets remodeled every couple of weeks....anything that isn't epoxied down gets moved. I don't think I have pink zoos in any of the shots I've included, maybe your looking at the pink micros?

shao-lin nano

Oh ya, haha...You know my tank better than me. They don't grow as much as my other zoos...maybe some colors just multiply faster or maybe our tank conditions favor certain colonies. I have another small colony/frag of light grey skirt / pink center that I really like too and an emerald green with pink center...my friend got me into the "pinks", it's quite a remarkable color for corals. Too bad pink yumas and blastos don't last long in my experience.

The coral you are talking about in bottom right is a ball of zoos.

zoo-ball.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
stoney waters

Man.. That is so cool. It doesn't even look real. Where did you get that from?

I would like to have one, but I don't think I have enough room left on my sand bed.

shao-lin nano

I got him from Tongs in Fountain Valley. They had about 3 or 4 similar to it but the color on this was the craziest. A buddy of mine got one similar, the color blotches were larger and the shape more contorted. He's really small, about 2in long.

Archived