Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shroom Help???

jamseco

Need advice......bought nice rock with 6-7 shrooms 2 days ago. They have just not recovered from moving them. Called LFS and asked what might be wrong, she said too much light??? I have 15 gal hex, 2- 9w pc, one blue, and 8 w coralife. Less than 2w per gal.....not what I hear in forums would be too much light.....

Did a 20% water change on second day they were in there, just to see if water quality was it. My tests are fine and maybe temp is low??? Would that do it?

Please help.

I have a few mushrooms that hitched on my Live rock.

I didnt acclimatise then, as at that point I didnt know they were there.

Mine just opened up properly in the morning and close up late at night.  I left them at the bottom of the tank.

Mushrooms are pretty hardy usually.

I havent got a clue, sorry.  I leave this one to the experts.

A while back I bought a rock with 5-7 purple shrooms on it and they never acclimated to my tank. One by one they disconnected from the rock and sat on the sand for a few days until copepods(I think) started eating them and now they're all gone. I don't know what was wrong, all my levels were fine, the only difference between my tank and the lfs tank was my tank has more light than they were used to I guess.

For your tank maybe you have too little light. What lighting were they under at the lfs?

(Edited by JIM27 at 4:25 pm on June 1, 2002)

The LFS knows what light I have, but I don't know what light she has. She told me to move them down in the tank, but they are already setting in lower 1/2 of tank.

I wanted to add 2 more 13W PC's soon, we are building a hood......hope that isn't "too" much light for shrooms, when done will have 2.93W per gallon.

shrooms after acclimated can live under direct halide lighting. and for this size tank w/gallon doesnt really matter. in a nano over a 15 gallon tank i would not run less than 2x36w bublbs for a total of 72w which would be 4.8w per gallon. many would also recommend using a small halide bulb. the problem with your shrooms could be too little light i would think. i would reconsider trusting your lfs if they know about your current lighting. how old is your system? whata re your water parameters? more information could help with an answer.

System is 4 mths old. Parameters are as follows:

PH 8.2

SG 1.024

AM 0.25

NI

CA  350

Temp: 78

LFS was saying I had "too" much light.....sounds like your saying too little. That was my gut feeling too, but advice is appreciated on my water quality, etc.

ammonia is a problem. this could be the problem. i would do a water change. i would recommend having your shrooms higher in the tank also. at 4 months you should not have any ammonia. has anything died recently? or have you added new rock or something? also do you have a reading for nitrites or nitrates? i would definately do a water change due to the ammonia.

reefinready

You can never really have too much light for mushroooms. what is your alkalinity? i had a similiar problem a while ago b/c my carbonate hardness was too low so i added some buffer and its fine. i would test for alkalinity. hth

Yep, I am guilty....of overfeeding....just started feeding frozen food and they liked it so much.....I also blasted the substrate with the powerhead when placing it and stirred up stuff......so I got that ammonia under control.

The readings yesterday were much better, after 2-3 gal water change, also got new heater and temp is up to 80 now.

Shrooms still look funny. They probably need more light. My husband is building new hood, will soon have almost 3wpg. That should help.

Thanks for all you help.

Archived