Cultivated Reef

We've got a newbie (bogie) at 12'o clock (That needs alot of help)

2new

I can't say I have a ton of reef experience but I have some salt experience. So far I have about 72 hours of reef experience.

Study, study, study, study as much as you can about the critters you want in your tank. Do your best to figure their requirements and then build a tank around that.

Also, salt water tanks can destabilize fast and you can lose fragile critters easily if the water chemistry gets out of whack from just one thing dying and you not spotting its body in time. The larger the tank, the less effect such a problem has because it's a smaller part of the watery ecosystem. The smaller the tank, the more devastating even a tiny problem will be.

I have just started up my first reef, it's 30 gallons, and I read a bunch of books first, sifted a lot of online info, and bought a premium package from Tampa Bay Saltwater for my rock, sand, and starting cleaners.

I'm in around $1K now.

People who really have a ton of reef experience can probably do small budget reefs. I worry that if you try to start out by cutting corners and starting tiny, you will only waste your time and money when the first crisis crashes your entire tank like a Windows beta.

Let's hear it for the Big Blue Screen of Death.

Ratty

Archived